Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Premium

I know many RMwebbers like to see videos of layouts, so here's a short clip produced by Radio Lancashire:

https://www.facebook.com/BBCLancashire/videos/10154855164396069/

Don't forget you can see it for real at he Model Rail Scotland show in Glasgow at the end of February.

Steve.

Smashing.

And now the star of TV...

It looked stunning on BBC North West news this evening.

I hadn't realised that the trams now work mind. Anyone going to Glasgow in February is in for a treat...

Wibble!

• RMweb Gold

What an interesting day.

BBC North West were on the phone to John early this morning to arrange a visit for filming and interviews.

Rob and I got the call from John to go and help out on the panels etc.

Cameraman arrived about 13:30, and reporter a little later.

Very busy with enormous camera and portable lights.

Three hours later, reporter left with an SD card of everything in his pocket, heading for Manchester Media City where it was all processed and edited down to the couple of minutes seen on this evenings Local News.

Pretty pleased with the result, except for the Gresley set being propelled at high speed back up the Cutting in the background of a shot of John talking.

Steve.

edited for grammar.

Edited by Steve Hewitt
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've said this previously somewhere in this thread......this layout is totally bonkers!

I saw a comment over on Facebook about not being that great because it suffered from hardly any trains running........trains?? Who cares about the trains?? Just look at those fantastic buildings!!!

Awesome doesn't even come close.......

Edited by scoobyra

Because its a model RAILWAY! My Personal preference would be to see some more of the trains and less of the buildings.

Ian

I agree, I'd love to see some more of the building/detailing etc of the locomotives and trains too, especially as I also model 1947 LMS. Not that I am knocking what we see here at all, but I'd personally love to see more of the railway side of things as well.

Hi

While on the subject of the trains, any chance of a few photos of the Turbomotive along with some details of what John has done to it please? I've just acquired a part built one which I'd like to finish/detail to its 1947 condition.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I think the modelling is superb and what is in the photos would be difficult to see at a show, where as the trains are quite easily seen at a show as long as you are willing to wait to get close to the layout. I saw the layout a few years ago at ExpoEM and the overall quality of the modelling was great, but a lot more has been added since and I hope I get a chance to see the layout again.

I am looking forwards to seeing this in the flesh in Glasgow. Any chance of modelling the Lourdes Pilgrimage trains? One or sometimes two would head off in July for Dover/Folkstone. I presume they also ran during your era. Don't know if hospital cars were used on the English side, by the time I went in the 80s, the worst cases went on road 'jumbulance'. The French train was often loaded on two platforms (Calais? Boulougne?) and then joined up and certainly included stretcher carriages. At the Liverpool end, you would need a fair smattering of priests and nuns. 4mm scale rosary beads?

• RMweb Gold

Because its a model RAILWAY! My Personal preference would be to see some more of the trains and less of the buildings.

Ian

I agree, I'd love to see some more of the building/detailing etc of the locomotives and trains too, especially as I also model 1947 LMS. Not that I am knocking what we see here at all, but I'd personally love to see more of the railway side of things as well.

Hi

While on the subject of the trains, any chance of a few photos of the Turbomotive along with some details of what John has done to it please? I've just acquired a part built one which I'd like to finish/detail to its 1947 condition.

Ian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

As Rob explained to the BBC reporter, this not just a Model Railway, it tries to be a Model of a Railway.

Our recent emphasis has been on the buildings, structures, environment etc. which are all part of that Railway.

I'll try to get more photos of the actual trains if that's what you want and I'll try to get the story behind each one, but this might take some time.

In the meantime, if you have any specific areas of interest please don't hesitate to post queries and requests on this topic and we'll do our best to help.

Steve.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I think the modelling is superb and what is in the photos would be difficult to see at a show, where as the trains are quite easily seen at a show as long as you are willing to wait to get close to the layout. I saw the layout a few years ago at ExpoEM and the overall quality of the modelling was great, but a lot more has been added since and I hope I get a chance to see the layout again.

Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

Was that ExpoEM at Bracknell?

If so, it was my first time out with the layout and what a disaster it was for us.

First we struggled to get the layout levelled up properly, then some unsecured wiring in the control panel blew some "chips" in the main Routing Computer. Geoff, our electronics man, spent the whole of Saturday morning under the layout re-programming replacement chips and we struggled to move any trains using the old "manual" panels which we weren't familiar with.

However, we learnt good lessons, and our procedures are much more robust these days.

First John developed the "laser levelling" system using a rotating laser etc.

Second, John is much more strict on ensuring  "no technical lash-ups".

Third, we introduced strict operator training requirements.

If you wish to see it again, I'm sure a return visit to ExpoEM would be feasible............. :)

Steve.