LINKA

polybear

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Several years ago I had fun collecting as many LINKA moulds as possible, usually from swapmeets but did get lucky on the odd occasion from shops. The black plastic moulds were the really scarce ones to find. Out of interest, how many modellers actually use the moulds to make structures for their layouts? There are a couple of well known layouts I know about (e.g. Kingston Regis by John & Jane Jacobs, with Jane being responsible for the outstanding buildings; also another layout that's appeared in Model Rail a couple of times but at the moment cannot for the life of me remember the name of :blush: )

Anyone?

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies - obviously LINKA isn't used as much as I thought it might be...

Incidentally, the layout that appeared in Model Rail that uses LINKA is Tetley's Mills.

Here's a link to Kingston Regis, which shows what is possible using Linka:

http://www.kingstonregis.com/kingston_photos.htm

Brian

I used Link back in the very early 80's (when I was still at school) to build a few structures for the garden layout I had then. Still got the moulds, including the black plastic church spire, and some unused casting dating back to then. Maybe I should dig it out at look at using it to build the quayside on my challenge layout. Anybody know what can be used to substitute the original casting powder?

Mark

I used it as a schoolboy in the early 80's, even then I wasn't that keen on the finished product, although if I recall I found it great fun creating a builders yard of castings. One friend who had industrial quantities of the moulds spend several weeks making a huge number of castings that he never ever used??¦ madness!

I found it very hard to hide the joins between sections even though I went to a lot of trouble filling between panels. Eventually I started making precise card dummies and gluing the sections onto these shells. I did make extensive retaining walls with Linka ??“ the archways were nice. I call still smell that plaster mix??¦ my set is in the loft somewhere.

However as my skills improved I generally got better results with card and building papers and of course there was always Superquick which I loved making up.

A trawl on ebay will throw up some options. A quick glance suggests old sets may be quite reasonable prices but new moulds and kits are, IMHO, expensive.

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, that's a blast from the past. Like others here I used it in the early 80's but never really got on with it, probably down to inadequate skills. Most of my buildings fell apart, too fragile. I've no idea where my moulds went but I did have quite a collection. Might have to rummage through Dad's loft next time I'm down there!

Some time ago, on a Plymouth Club layout, we used a large amount of Lnka based panels on a retaining wall and dock side.

The method was to use the moulds, but with car body filler (to be found in fairly small cans or tubes close to the spray paints in Halfords etc). When nearly set peel the mould off and place the piece to one side to cure properly, if required the panel can be gently bent into a curve at this stage to allow a curved wall to be manufactured from several pieces.

When everything is set stick the bits to the former as required to make the structure. At this point you will probably find that some tiles stand proud of the others; so visit your car accesory store again and buy some "wet and dry" paper, about 360 grit is best, and using it dry gently rub the surface until all is flush. This will also reduce the apparent depth of some mortar courses and the dust produced will fill the gaps between the tiles. Once you have applied a base colour wash the dust will be sealed in and the gaps dissapear.

I have a few pictures somewhere and if I can locate them will attempt to display the here.

Hope this helps someone.

Wally

Wow they have become expensive. $12 a mould!!!! That's over ??7 at today's rate.

I got my original brick set in 83 and paid around ??10 for it. Then I picked up the super delux 18 mould set at Zodiac Toys for a fiver. Haven't used any of it in years but still have several tubs full of castings.

Wow they have become expensive. $12 a mould!!!! That's over ??7 at today's rate.

I got my original brick set in 83 and paid around ??10 for it. Then I picked up the super delux 18 mould set at Zodiac Toys for a fiver. Haven't used any of it in years but still have several tubs full of castings.

Was that Zodiac in Bexleyheath? You may like to take a look here http://zodiactoys.webs.com

Might bring back a few memories ... and here's a pic of a Linka display I found in my files

Archived