Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

Top work Pix and a superb paintjob. Get a DG on at least one end and bring them along to Southampton in January.

Have you done anything with the cab windows, they look particularly fine?

Your mention of the banana trains is interesting as there has been some discussion relating to these on my Warminster thread - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/32689-warminster-in-the-70s/

Jerry

Cheers Jerry! The cab windows are just the Farish ones, although I used some thickened yellow artists acrylic paint as a filler to hide the join and fill in the middle pillar on 821.

Interesting stuff on the 'nana trains - filed away for future reference! I've got a long running project to do a resin bodied BR banana van (diag 1/246? Not sure, too comfy to get up and check!) and started on a master although not really got anywhere. One day, one day.

3a64039472155cb95be0cc609e8c1605.jpg

Pix

• Like 2

Cheers Andy! Did you get anywhere with the replacement window frames? I've tried to copy Farish's glazing in clear resin for the resin copies but that's not gone well - I think the material is designed for larger volumes.

Pix

Cheers Andy! Did you get anywhere with the replacement window frames? I've tried to copy Farish's glazing in clear resin for the resin copies but that's not gone well - I think the material is designed for larger volumes.

Still on the etch I'm afraid - waiting for me to get round to starting on one of my Warships... at the moment backdating Druid into green seems like a plan because I have few too many full yellow ends kicking around and no green D800s at all. Unlikely to happen before the temperature in the paint shop garage improves though.

• Like 1

No worries Andy, looking forward to seeing the results when they come to fruition!

If you fancy remedying both your shortage of full yellow and green locos with a model of 808 or 810, I've got more resin Spanner Swirlyflow bodies than I'll ever use!

Pix

If you fancy remedying both your shortage of full yellow and green locos with a model of 808 or 810, I've got more resin Spanner Swirlyflow bodies than I'll ever use!

Thanks... already got an 810 (in blue) though - that was the first one I did and my first 2mm scale loco... about 1983 I think. The boiler top is a bit of 10 thou punched with an office hole punch - not up to scratch nowadays but an improvement on the chrome plated body screw that it replaced. The plastikard replacement skirts are just about holding on but the chassis is still going strong - built like a tractor and much improved by shoe-horning a 5 pole motor in. I wonder how the Farish offerings will be holding up mechanically when they reach the same age.

Regards, Andy

I predict that 'happy hour' on the Sunday at the Southamton show may have one or two golden moments:angel:

As warming up the cracker humour....

I took the shell off of my racing snail to see if it went any faster. If anything though, it just made it more sluggish.

How heavy is purest green.....?

Oddly, if you put 'Purest Green' into Google Image search, about 10 lines down if a photo of Ropley!

Pix

Edited by Pixie

Imagine shipping it abroad? MSDSs, DGNs, Limited Quantity Declarations. Or selling it in California where it would almost certainly be considered a carcinogenic and need a wealth of ACMI and haz-mat labels. I bet the three kings didn't have to worry about this!

Pix - who's just come out a meeting about working with cadmium.

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

H and S is very important in the workplace. I recently had a meeting with the dogs about hair in the workplace whilst spraying. The conclusion was that they are dogs and can't be held responsible - seemed fair enough for me. To be honest, the dogs slept through most of the meeting.

Jerry, not really had a few already :drink_mini:  :drink_mini:  

• Like 6

Whilst vandels will make short work of the the glass in a window, breaking the fan light transom (ie the piece of metal between the main window and the sliding vents above) would be an altogether different prospect?

Seasons greetings Mark,

I'd of thought so but looking at various snaps seems to suggest otherwise - I wonder if the ability to remove the frame but leave some glass might be a 'feature' of the earlier windows, as opposed to the later reinforced frames.

3bf69a5b71855d74eafa9f1aa6705ecc.jpg

PS - thanks for your contact details - email coming up shortly!

Cheers,

Pix

OK, I stand corrected!

Mind you. I still think it would take a lot of effort to bust those transoms!!  A betty quality of vandal in south wales perhaps?

Looks more like the depot vehicle builders have been robbing the scrappers for spares. Pump action screw driver to remove the glass first :good:

• RMweb Gold

Love those condemned coaches! Makes me think about a small layout based on C F Booths in Rotherham, which I can remember passing as a child whe the ATP was still there awaiting the inevitable.

Tom.

Guest 40-something

I've just spent a most enjoyable hour going through this thread.  I take my hat off to you Pix.  Im not an N/2mm modeller but Im finding the lure harder and harder to resist...