New to 2mm

Alex Duckworth

• RMweb Premium

I thought that I would join in as this new 2mm section of RM has coincided nicely with the completion of my first attempt at a 2mm model (photos below). I am intending to model a section of the Woodhead Route (representative, rather than actual) hence the EM1, next job is a couple of MSL EM2s before returning to EM1 batch building, then lots of wagons. I've also started to get some items together for a stab at Trafalgar Yard/Newcastle Quayside although that would entail a lot more research.

post-3457-0-92014200-1304869910_thumb.jpgpost-3457-0-57638700-1304869950_thumb.jpg

I have got a soft spot for the Woodhead line and have always had a desire to build one of those engines. You have made a fantastic job on that EM! and its finished to a very high standard.

I am sorry but I must add to the questions, what chassis have you used for it? Secondly is the lining transfers? It looks really good.

I look forward to seeing some stuff on the layout soon....

Missy :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Hello Alex,

Wow!

A beautiful piece of work, well done and thanks for posting!

As an aside, although I don't model the 50s/60s era, the lined black loco livery looks fabulous next to the crimson and cream Gresley.

cheers

Ben A.

They were extensively tested on the ex- GER rails from Liverpool Street (London) to Shenfield hauling commuter stock too. So there's an excuse for for using them there as well.

Best, Pete.

My hat is off to you sir,

What a nice prototype, modelled exceedingly well. I'm also very intrigued my how you've powered it, any chance of a photograph without the body shell on it? I think the spoked wheels are a great detail, well executed.

• RMweb Premium

Lovely EM1 Alex. I look forward to seeing an EM2. I've always fancied doing an EM2 in electric blue, but sadly it doesn't quite fit in with South Manchester in 1950. Which side of the Pennines are you going to plump for with your Woodhead themed model?

Simon

Alex,

That is seriously nice EM1! How have you built the pantographs?

I was looking at Alan Whitehouse's 2mm model of 'Tommy' at the 2mm North East group meeting on Saturday afternoon. He'd finished it in the lined black livery.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the kind remarks Kris and Ben A, also James - you are right, I've been making models for ages, aircraft first then railways, P4 first then Narrow Gauge, 4mm. (8mm gauge), mostly WDLR and now 2mmFS.

Simon, I'm not sure yet, all I really know is that I want to include a viaduct and a signal box, Oxspring or Rumtickle are possibles although the area around Dukinfield with its two railway bridges is also looking attractive. The result will probably not be an actual place though, more an amalgam.

Thanks also to Missy and Bryn, the transfers are odd bits of lining in red and grey cut to fit. The Masterclass model is produced to fit a Brawa N guage chassis which in this case is fitted with 2mm Ass. spoked bogie wheels which have their stub axles turned down to fit the Brawa muffs and then regauged. There is a good article in MRJ 193 by Alan Whitehouse about the Class 76's on his Mini MSW layout which is well worth a read if you fancy a go at one of these.

I think that the EM2's are going to be a bit of a challenge.

• RMweb Premium

Given how well you have done on the EM1 Alex, I'm sure that you will produce a fantastic EM2. Did you turn the stub axles down or get someone else to do it?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again for the interest - Kevin, its a Masterclass kit (resin body/bogie sides with etched cabs).

Andy, the pantographs are from Kato, available via Plaza Japan on Ebay. They are slightly undersize, but a lot less clunky than the items that come with the Brawa loco - none are provided in the kit.

Kris, I turned the stub axles down myself on a Unimat.

Flushed with enthusiasm I have just completed the casting master for replacement EM2 bogies and sent it off to a friend who is very good with short - run castings. Previously I would have cast them myself, but I became sensitized to the resin several years ago and now have problems with it even wearing gloves and barrier cream. That's my excuse anyway!

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy, the pantographs are from Kato, available via Plaza Japan on Ebay. They are slightly undersize, but a lot less clunky than the items that come with the Brawa loco - none are provided in the kit.

If you really want the pantograph to beat all pantographs, this is the place to go.

http://www.hammerschmid.de/stromabnehmer-spur-n.html

Cost you more than the kit, mind.

CHris

Archived