Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

10 out of 10 for that that one Mr Delemar.

Not for the 16 tonners but for the brake tender, that is one of the Ultra rare Cowlairs built examples.  (3 off) They had a slightly different body shape, handrails vac pipes etc., to the rest of the "round toppers" and were turned out with diesel grey roofs. Hurrah for the Cowlairs painters as they seemed to have an individual streak.

I reckon that tender could be B964036 (ex DB320922) going off the footsteps on the bogies...

Porcy (With apologies for wandering of topic)

They are a nice pair of photos. None of mine have the footsteps. However, in a discussion some years ago a conclusion was drawn that grey roof was unusual but not too rare, for example http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/braketender/e1a5ae1c8

Paul Bartlett

They are a nice pair of photos. None of mine have the footsteps. However, in a discussion some years ago a conclusion was drawn that grey roof was unusual but not too rare, for example http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/braketender/e1a5ae1c8

Paul Bartlett

Re: the Grey roofs. Perhaps I should have added that my mindset is firmly entrenched in the Green era but you are, of course, right. I have a pic of a green tender at Thornaby with a light grey top in about 1967.

A retired Thornaby driver told me that all the tenders he remembered were delivered new to Teeside (Fom York) in all over green but some returned following overhaul repainted with Grey tops. Now don't get me started about the Thornaby DBT's that were painted with the Fluorescant yellow WP's.

P

• RMweb Gold

Were these taken on the line serving Bachelor-Robinson's detinning plant? That stone wall seems very familiar; resembling the one at the point where the line crossed New Dock Road.

It was on a line running south from the mainline but can't remember what it served but guess you are correct.

Were these taken on the line serving Bachelor-Robinson's detinning plant? That stone wall seems very familiar; resembling the one at the point where the line crossed New Dock Road.

From their appearance they look like they are in private internal ownership. That second one has an unusual bar across the door to prevent it opening, and the poor way some top doors were plated up, but with the body still in original condition.

Paul Bartlett

From their appearance they look like they are in private internal ownership. That second one has an unusual bar across the door to prevent it opening, and the poor way some top doors were plated up, but with the body still in original condition.

Paul Bartlett

If it is the Bachelor-Robinson line, it was disconnected from the network in the mid-1970s, when the area was resignalled. The bit of line (formerly part of the Nevill's Dock and Railway Co, which was never taken over by the Big 4 or BR)was retained to move scrap within the plant. If you recycle your tin cans, they probably end up here, or at the sister plant in Hartlepool.

found this on the Getty site.

post-27-0-32553000-1357224232.jpg

Newly-manufactured steel coal wagons on the sidings outside the Royal Ordnance Factory at Woolwich Arsenal, London, 5th March 1947. Production of the wagons has been increased to meet demand for faster coal distribution in Britain. In the background is a group of steam locomotives converted for export to China, as well as a naval gun, once used to shell the French coast from Dover, and now ready to be scrapped. (Photo by J. A. Hampton/Topical Press Agency/Hulton Archive/Getty Images

• Like 3