Barnstaple Junction in EM Gauge

dessire_luvals

• 1 month later...

Must admit when I read the first part of your op about having an 02, a Hornby diesel and a Peak, I was going to 'change channels', but then I scrolled down further and saw your terrific pointwork and checks rails on curves to boot. Been tuned in ever since. There is a lot of clever trackwork involved and some chaired flexitrack....Is the latter C&L? Speaking for myself, it is good to see so many layout threads featuring at the moment.

Wonderfully flowing track-work. I look forward to seeing your progress. Do you have the rolling stock for the layout or is that for the future?

Building up a fair bit of stock at the moment including Bulleid Pacifics, Ns, M7s, Class 2 & 4 and Ivatt Tanks, Pannier & Collett 0-6-0s, Class 21, Hymeks and Warshps. Coaching stock includes out of the box Bulleid, Maunsell & Mk1s plus a fair number of Ian Kirk kits as well. Just hoping for a lottery win over Christmas to pay for wheels to convert to EM.

Must admit when I read the first part of your op about having an 02, a Hornby diesel and a Peak, I was going to 'change channels', but then I scrolled down further and saw your terrific pointwork and checks rails on curves to boot. Been tuned in ever since. There is a lot of clever trackwork involved and some chaired flexitrack....Is the latter C&L? Speaking for myself, it is good to see so many layout threads featuring at the moment.

Thanks for staying tuned in! Yes C&L flexitrack.

Some beautifully flowing trackwork there, I did once look at Ilfracombe myself as a layout, but was put off by all the double-slips; I think there were five altogether?

Cheers,

Dave.

I thought it was four but I'd have check the book shelf to be sure. I had to loose the one on the engine shed road as I've had to add some extra curves to make the station fit.

• RMweb Gold

Its looking really nice, you are correct it is four in row. By the way my 'if I had the room project' is Ilfracombe' with a representation of the bank up to and including Mortehoe station.

Edited by kipford
  • Like 2

Its looking really nice, you are correct it is four in row. By the way my 'if I had the room project' is Ilfracombe' with a representation of the bank up to and including Mortehoe station.

As I mentioned previously space has meant that I have a climb into Ilfracombe rather than a steep drop but there you go, can't have everything.

I'd probably would want to include Braunton. A mate of mine runs a retro skateboard shop there and didn't even know there'd be a railway 100 yards from his shop. He lead a group of locals who built a skate bowl next to to the goods shed and dug up the cast iron pipe for the water column!

Edited by dessire_luvals

• RMweb Gold

Great looking track-work.

Adding Braunton would be good, if you have space. I think that this is an attractive station, plus gives you the operational option of running the banking engine from Braunton up Ilfracombe.

You will need a fair few coaches for the sidings at Ilfracombe for summer holiday traffic.

Following with interest.

Building up a fair bit of stock at the moment including Bulleid Pacifics, Ns, M7s, Class 2 & 4 and Ivatt Tanks, Pannier & Collett 0-6-0s, Class 21, Hymeks and Warshps. Coaching stock includes out of the box Bulleid, Maunsell & Mk1s plus a fair number of Ian Kirk kits as well. Just hoping for a lottery win over Christmas to pay for wheels to convert to EM.

Have you converted any stock at all yet other than the wagons on your test piece? I'd like to know how you've got on (or get on) with the steam locos.

Have you converted any stock at all yet other than the wagons on your test piece? I'd like to know how you've got on (or get on) with the steam locos.

First couple of appropriate locos converted are an N and a Class 4 tank. My father actually did both the conversions using Alan Gibson conversion packs from the EM Gauge Society.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Only just joined and found this thread ... been out of modelling for far too long.

I started a Barnstaple Junction in the late 1980s in our loft conversion ... just enough room to fit it in. I spent months on research, specifically around stock and operations.

The project faltered and died along with my first marriage, so never got beyond some initial track laying.

I'd love to start again, but I fear time, space and money will be against me! Perhaps our new house in Gosport will be suitable (haven't seen the loft yet), and wife no. 2 is much more amenable!

Would love to know how you're getting on in 2014.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

sorry about that with no info, a bit new to adding attachments to forum. Front and rear of island platform building at Barnstaple drawn some thirty or more years ago. Will add more later but have to rush, off on the school run!

Hi EB,

Are you still around?

Picking up on your offer from way back re drawings of Barnstaple. Would it be too late to prevail upon you please?

Many thanks

Russell

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello 

My name is Bill Barton and I have just found your articles on the RMweb and found myself elated with the photographs of your excellent track work and its quality.

I have made two attempts during my life to model Barnstable Junction since I visited it back in the late 50's as a boy. Both attempts never got far past the track laying but now as I am about to retire I've stated again being very enspirored / encourage by your skills.

I wondered how you were progressing and if you could make use of some copies of the black and white photos I took as a lad of the station building?.

To date then more accurately there was a Bullied on the far platform and I think it was A GWR castle on the near platform. So it must have been arround the time it change regions!

Hope the sailing is going well!

I found it very hard work on my various outings

Best regards

Bill

Hello Bill

Kipford (a friend from SHMRC) told me about your post last night.

I posted a couple of years ago (Sept 2014) that I wanted to model Barnstaple Junction. The post was made 2 months before we moved into our new house in Gosport. When I did see the loft it looked caverous! Even so, after a few measurements, I realised BJ would still be a squeeze.

Since then, I've spent what spare time and money I had making the loft environmentally suitable for a model railway ... and boarding it so I didn't put my foot through a ceiling. This is now complete, and I've started to assemble the supplies for building baseboards and making track.

Thanks to another club friend, I have a Templot of BJ - reduced in size and generally squeezed into about 22' x 16'. The layout will be lower than I'd like (to get an extra couple of feet), and one of the roof supports has made the goods yard difficult to layout properly. But all in all, I'm happy with the result.

The Domestic Authorities are insisting on one more room decoration after Christmas ... and then I'll be able to concentrate of the railway.

I'm trying to put into practice all the lessons I've learned at my club over the last two years. The layout is being designed to be portable, to be light, easily assembled, and have the minimum of wiring. The biggest question for me is not 'can I do it' but 'can I match the modeling standards of my club friends' - they really are very good.

I'll post back here as I make progress and as I start to implement some of the innovations I'm eager to try ... I also have a blog/website which I may use for more detailed information ... not sure yet what to do.

Regards to all BJ lovers, David

• Like 1