Barnstaple Junction in EM Gauge

dessire_luvals

• RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2023 at 23:25, dessire_luvals said:

That’s exactly the challenge!

Certainly is. I only suggest Plastic as it's simple and you can sniff the Adhesive to keep you interested.

However, you seem a totally excellent Modeller and so setting up a JIg and using Brass/Solder should not be too daunting?

I suspect that getting the first actual Frame designed, and constructed as a Template, will be the biggest challenge?

I suppose you could do a Template using Plastic, then set it up to prep the JIg and then actually use Brass Angle etc?

I'm sure it will be an interesting project without any Drawings or Diagrams (unless they exist somewhere), OR you have a Comrade on here that's already done it?

All the best,

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Do you have any more photos of the turntable? It's a very complicated frame and it's quite hard to see which bit of frame goes to which other bit of frame. a few more pics would help no end.

Regards Lez.

• RMweb Premium

The SW Circle may have drawings for the TT at 'combe.  Even if they're not right for your current TT they'll give the general layout and you should be able to resize to suit.

• RMweb Gold

I totally agree with Mike.

If your TT isn't the same size as the one at 'combe then it's not going to be a scale model anyway and who would know. That's a huge pain in the backside no matter what you build it out of. It's the Panther Tank of turntables i.e. completely over complicated just so the railings turn with the turntable. From an engineering perspective it's complication for complications sake. Given how few roads come off the TT they could have just built fixed railings. Whoever designed it was just showing off and I can't believe the district engineer signed it off for building. I've not seen railings around a TT before either. Granted that the Midland built a palisade around one of them up north but that was because of high winds and without the palisade an engine just kept turning because of the wind. Cue an avalanche of pics showing fences around turntables. It's not like it's in an area that the general public had access to.

Don't get me wrong it's a fascinating bit of engineering and I'd love to have a go at building it from an engineering point of view just to be able to say "look what I've built" but in a thesaurus under overengineered they would say "see Ilfracombe's turntable"!    

Regards Lez. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It goes bigger the question, why did it get designed and built like that who was going to fall in there .... if it was designed today I'd understand in today's HSE driven environment to stop toddler's falling in when their mummy's were too busy on their mobiles to notice that Tarquin had run away

I wonder if someone involved once worked for the North Eastern Railway?  The N.E.R. preferred to have the turntable pit covered over.  They insisted on the G.N.R. doing the same at Doncaster.

An alternative is, the turntable at Ilfracombe was moved from somewhere else, where it used to be a covered over example, so some bright character decided to have the handrails rotate instead?

Paul

5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Drawings won't help much, your turntable is much bigger than the one at Ilfracombe - or any other UK one for that matter. You'll have to design it yourself.

It’s not a lot bigger but whatever happens it’ll be a DIY design.

16 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I wonder if someone involved once worked for the North Eastern Railway?  The N.E.R. preferred to have the turntable pit covered over.  They insisted on the G.N.R. doing the same at Doncaster.

An alternative is, the turntable at Ilfracombe was moved from somewhere else, where it used to be a covered over example, so some bright character decided to have the handrails rotate instead?

Paul

I don’t think these tables were ever covered over. Similar one at Hither Green, now reinstated at Robertsbridge on the RVR.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

41 minutes ago, John Besley said:

It goes bigger the question, why did it get designed and built like that who was going to fall in there .... if it was designed today I'd understand in today's HSE driven environment to stop toddler's falling in when their mummy's were too busy on their mobiles to notice that Tarquin had run away

Ilfracombe wasn’t unique

Ex Hither Green

• Like 1

Had a look at the details of the Hither Green TT.  It’s recorded it was originally at Cannon Street Station.  I wonder if the lattice frame was added when it was moved to Hither Green?

Paul

On 02/01/2024 at 19:02, Flying Fox 34F said:

Paul

Is this confusing wagon turntables (which I think were usually covered)  and locomotive tables? I haven't seen any pictures of or references to NER locomotive tables being covered.

10 hours ago, drmditch said:

Is this confusing wagon turntables (which I think were usually covered)  and locomotive tables? I haven't seen any pictures of or references to NER locomotive tables being covered.

I have seen photographs of Doncaster Station, where the turntable in the station area is fully covered over, apparently at the insistence of the N.E.R., for safety reasons?

That’s all I know.

Paul

On 02/01/2024 at 20:41, Flying Fox 34F said:

Had a look at the details of the Hither Green TT.  It’s recorded it was originally at Cannon Street Station.  I wonder if the lattice frame was added when it was moved to Hither Green?

Paul

I read that too, but surprised if Cannon Street had a table of that size.

• RMweb Gold

There was one at North Woolwich that was also the loco release I don't remember if it was covered or if it had an underslung or over slung girder and it was tiny as well, 40' tops. the platforms went around it and sort of cupped it.  There used to be a model of how it looked in the station building in 7mm I think. If I wasn't so invested in the midland I would build it myself. It a short layout even in 7mm it isn't that big and you would only need 2 or 3 locos to run it. The stock might be a scratch build for the coaches but you would only need 2 sets and we're talking 4 or 6 wheelers.....see I'm just talking myself into it. 

Regards Lez.  

24 minutes ago, dessire_luvals said:

I read that too, but surprised if Cannon Street had a table of that size.

Looking at the Side by Side maps on the NLS website, there were two locomotive turntables on the south bank of the Thames opposite Cannon Street.  Presumably the Hither Green table is one of these?

Paul

18 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Looking at the Side by Side maps on the NLS website, there were two locomotive turntables on the south bank of the Thames opposite Cannon Street.  Presumably the Hither Green table is one of these?

Paul

The right hand one shows up on the 1860 map and the left hand on a later map but look the same size. I guess it’s possible that one moved on.

• Agree 1

On 02/01/2024 at 18:04, lezz01 said:

If your TT isn't the same size as the one at 'combe then it's not going to be a scale model anyway and who would know. That's a huge pain in the backside no matter what you build it out of. It's the Panther Tank of turntables i.e. completely over complicated just so the railings turn with the turntable. From an engineering perspective it's complication for complications sake. Given how few roads come off the TT they could have just built fixed railings. Whoever designed it was just showing off and I can't believe the district engineer signed it off for building. I've not seen railings around a TT before either.

Hi, I looked into similar turntables on the south eastern part of the SR a number of years ago. The framing supported timber decking. I am not on my computer, but I am 90% certain I have photos and drawings of these. 

If I recall correctly the only one with timber decking on that I have seen a photo of was in London, possibly around 1900/ 1920. As I understand it the timber decking on the outriggers was not replaced in later years if it needed attention - a maintenance saving.

I'll see what I can find when I have some time on my computer.

• Like 2

On 05/01/2024 at 23:26, Fishplate said:

Hi, I looked into similar turntables on the south eastern part of the SR a number of years ago. The framing supported timber decking. I am not on my computer, but I am 90% certain I have photos and drawings of these. 

If I recall correctly the only one with timber decking on that I have seen a photo of was in London, possibly around 1900/ 1920. As I understand it the timber decking on the outriggers was not replaced in later years if it needed attention - a maintenance saving.

I'll see what I can find when I have some time on my computer.

PM sent. Hope the attachments help. 

I suspect Cannon Street will be a 50ft turntable.

• Agree 1

The TT saga!  Nice photograph of the Cannon Street turntable, full covered over in 1935.  Comparing to the map online, this appears to be the TT outside the locomotive shed to the east of the running lines.

Hither Green is shown as opening in 1933.  My thoughts are that the second table on the map, to the south west, maybe the TT that is now on the Rother Valley Railway.

Paul