Farish Class 14

bmthtrains - David

Where are they getting their market research data from?! huh.gif biggrin.gif

RMWeb ?

Certainly seems popular on here what with a 7mm build ongoing, I'm about to start another 4mm one and last year I was looking for one in 2mm. There was a resin body available through ebay for a while - but rapidly vanished.

There is a serious shortage of RTR shunters in RTR in all scales pretty overwhelmed with 08 and 09 look-alikes (and I sick of all the 37 variants that just bore the t!ts off me) ... a Class 14 is nice to have in 2mm, but something a little more common and widespread in prototypical use would seem to have made more sense. Something where they could take the lead over Hejan when they scale it up to 4mm. Still anything new is always welcome.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe they've been getting info on the level of orders for one about to appear via Denmark for those of us of a 4mm persuasion (I wonder what the Chinese is for 'How many of those are you making then? Hmm, perhaps we should do one in another scale under one of our own names?' - but I'm sure commercial confidences like that are not broken in reality; perhaps Bachmann were too behind in announcing one for 4mm but just carried on anyway to make 2mm use of work they had done?)

Incidentally it isn't 'a shunter' - the D95XX were intended as trip locos that were also able to shunt hence a reasonable running speed plus intended good visibility from the cab. I wonder if they were the only 6 coupled diesel loco regularly used to work a Class 1 newspaper train?

Maybe they've been getting info on the level of orders for one about to appear via Denmark for those of us of a 4mm persuasion (I wonder what the Chinese is for 'How many of those are you making then? Hmm, perhaps we should do one in another scale under one of our own names?' - but I'm sure commercial confidences like that are not broken in reality; perhaps Bachmann were too behind in announcing one for 4mm but just carried on anyway to make 2mm use of work they had done?)

Incidentally it isn't 'a shunter' - the D95XX were intended as trip locos that were also able to shunt hence a reasonable running speed plus intended good visibility from the cab. I wonder if they were the only 6 coupled diesel loco regularly used to work a Class 1 newspaper train?

There were two examples of the Farish 14 in the Bachmann display at Warley, at one end they had a standard N gauge coupling, at the other end the bufferbeam was full depth with brake hoses and a 3- link coupling.

It really brought home how the Rapido coupling compromises the appearance of N gauge stock.

Also it would be churlish to ask for DCC on such a diminitive yet appealing model.

yes, I know that - but what generic name shall we call them by "trippers" ? ;)

Essentially it was a diesel version of the pannier tank. Very good news for people who model industrial stuff or heritage railway stuff, where the class 14 Teddy Bears are quite popular as they've got the needed train braking to run passenger services, they can run at normal light railway rail speeds and have a nice small engine so don't eat fuel.

The big test will be power pickup. The Minitrix German equivalent is a beautiful work (doubly so when the body is replaced by a nice resin UK outline one) but had no middle axle pickup and was crap for running as a result unless you added one. Hopefully Bachmann can do better.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm...my first thoughts upon reading this news today were along the lines of "what the...heck"?

However, given these locos long histories in industry and, more recently, in use on CTRL engineers trains, Farish could actually have a potential seller on their hands. The pre-production model looks good and I think a lot of folk will be looking for an excuse to have one on their layout somewhere.

Nene Valley in N, alyone...?

I didn't think class 14's were particularly unreliable ? , I thought BR didn't really have a use for them by the time they were delivered. They went on to do years of service in industry.

Phill

A number of them went to Hull but they did not have enough braking power for the work so they did not last too long.

The class 14 worked alongside the 08 at Beechbrook Farm for the Channel Tunnel Route.

The 14 was too slow among others things, the hydraulic transmission had to refill after each change in direction, The 08 was the preferred machine by the crews and yard staff.

• RMweb Gold

I didn't think class 14's were particularly unreliable ? , I thought BR didn't really have a use for them by the time they were delivered. They went on to do years of service in industry.

Phill

A lot of footplatemen and Inspectors I knew in the London Division had a very low opinion of them - including one of my Drivers who some years previously had been driving one when it dumped the entire liquid contents of a critical part of its transmission across the running junction at Maidenhead early one morning, perhaps a Class 1 newspaper train was just that bit too much :rolleyes:? And some of my Drivers at a depot where I was in South Wales had nigh unprintable opinions of them although the locos had gone before my time there.

It seems that while they weren't too bad at low speed they were definitely not happy when having to run any sort of distance at the upper end of their speed range, despite being designed for such work; I think many folk on the Western were glad to see the back of them from what I have heard over the years.

Also it would be churlish to ask for DCC on such a diminitive yet appealing model.

I don't think it would. Have a look at the recent Bachmann Spectrum GE 44t switcher (US prototype). That's roughly the same size as the 14 and comes with factory DCC.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

This is a great choice for me at least. smile.gif I had planned to buy the parkwood one but I will probably wait. Should look nice at the head of a parcels train.

I'll have to take a look now at how well the Parkwood shells I have measure up, I hadn't bothered before as I never expected there'd be a r-t-r N version to compare it to, if it's been too badly compromised to fit the Minitrix chassis then I guess ebay listings will be on the cards.

Regards, Gerry.

Just for completeness please find below the text of the press release that was passed to us by Dennis Lovett, PR Manager of Bachmann Europe.

"Farish announce Class 14 at Warley"

Bachmann Europe PLC today (21st November 2009) announced that it is to produce a Class 14 diesel locomotive as part of the rapidly expanding Graham Farish N Scale range. Samples produced from the completed tooling were on show on the Bachmann stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition held at the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham.

Affectionately known by enthusiasts as 'Teddy Bears' the name was derived from the comment made by a foreman at Swindon Works who having been involved with the only GWR Pacific 'The Great Bear' decreed that they were now reduced to building Teddy Bears!

British Rail's Swindon works between 1964 and 1965 built 56 locomotives. However, they were not a great success and were allocated to only three depots Cardiff Canton, Hull Dairycoats and Swansea Llandore. The first was withdrawn in December 1967 and the last in April 1969. 48 were sold for industrial use seeing service in collieries, oil refineries, steel works and cement works, some seeing use in Belgium and Spain. 19 of the class have been preserved following industrial use.

Three versions of the model will be released during 2010 as part of the expanding Blue Ribbon range. They are No. D9555 in BR green (372-950), No. D9523 in BR Green (Weathered) (372-951) and No. 14029 in BR blue (372-952) as originally carried on the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway and as used on the construction of the High Speed 1 route from London St. Pancras tot he Channel tunnel. NEM pockets are provided.

The model weighs over 50 Grammes to enhance the tractive effort. There is a detailing pack that allows the buffer beam to be correctly modelled by removing the coupling. Details include alternative buffer beam detail, vacuum and air pipes and shunters pole.

The model is available with the original bonnets fitted with twin character headcode boxes or replacement doors plus cab and bonnet details."

I think those are hand painted samples but considering how far advanced the model is hopefully they had already started on a 4mm one when Hattons/Heljan announced theirs and will still proceed with it. If they think its viable as a main range item in 2mm then the 4mm one should be no problem. Would save a lot of money too!

Should covert well to 2mm that though and would certainly be improved by new coupling rods and crankpins.

However, they were not a great success and were allocated to only three depots Cardiff Canton, Hull Dairycoats and Swansea Llandore

Incorrect: Allocations

Also note only one went to an oil refinery - Grangemouth.

It would have been better to have produced one in NCB or British Steel livery rather than a weathered version and the somewhat restricted area of operation in blue. Once more loosing out on their main life use - as an industrial.

Archived