Ships and boats etc, Feel Free to add more!

• RMweb Premium

Since real 'ferry' ferries have been included in this topic before, I feel I can add these two pictures, both taken in August 1962.

The Ballachulish Ferry:

attachicon.gifimg089.jpg

and the Corran Ferry:

attachicon.gifimg088.jpg

Does anyone remember the notice at the top of the short road down to the Corran Ferry on the east side of Loch Linnhe which said, in large letters, 'THIS IS NOT THE BALLACHULISH FERRY'? 

I remember cycling onto either that ferry or a very similar one in 1973.  I think it cost me 10p to go across.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Just to let people know there is an exhibition on in Glasgow next week. "Ship Ahoy" will be held on the Glenlee tall ship berthed at the transport museum. Details are on the CRSC website. There will be several model Clyde Steamers on show and stands by a few societies. A fairly small affair but if you are interested in Clyde steamers and shipping in the West of Scotland it might be worth a visit. Entrance is free although I think you pay a small amount for the car park at the Transport (Riverside) Museum

Oops should have mentioned date! Sat April 5th 10 till 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A few shots of the Isle of Lewis taken at Ullapool July 2013.

post-13274-0-08295500-1408831928.jpg

post-13274-0-19718500-1408831944.jpg

post-13274-0-84431600-1408831954.jpg

post-13274-0-99240500-1408831974.jpg

...and the elusive MV Muirneag. on charter to Calmac for several years. Based in Stornoway, she worked the overnight freight service to/from Ullapool before being replaced in September? 2013. Stornoway July 2013.

post-13274-0-41372600-1408831994.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/plans-drawn-up-remove-tuxedo-12683526

Looks like it's now 'game over' for the "Dover". 5 1/2 years sitting on the bottom won't have done her chances of survival any good. So, presumably the easy way to shift her will be to close off the sea suctions and overboards, pump her out with salvage pumps and tow her over to Seal Sands and an appointment with the gas-axe. Still an expensive business though - especially with the asbestos issue to deal with. Sad, but inevitable.

Although it is now a long way from Scotland the 'Westward Ho' that now operates out of Weston-super-Mare has Scottish roots

having been built as the Cromarty Rose to operate between Cromarty and Nigg.

Publicity material on the vessel states that it was then the smallest car ferry in operation with a capacity of 2 vehicles,

post-7081-0-80104000-1488495277_thumb.jpg

The 'Westward Ho' alongside Knightstone Island in Weston-super-Mare 21/11/2015

cheers

Do models count ? If not I will happily remove the post :)

Two scratch built on a whim !

Thames barge

post-20303-0-66289000-1488501099_thumb.jpeg

A generic take on a Swiss paddle steamer

post-20303-0-25021300-1488500763_thumb.jpeg

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of cruise ships in Barrow-in-Furness docks. I was taking some of the passengers round the Lake District in one of the coaches.  Going over the Kirkstone Pass several asked 'whey are your roads so narrow?'

post-19248-0-24390600-1502226627.jpg

post-19248-0-70959800-1502226655.jpg

And now for a model.  My Brother-in-Law has Parkinson's disease but has built this out of scrap...

post-19248-0-22404000-1502226845.jpg

Many years ago when I was only a wee child I was taken on a day trip with my parents, sister and grandparents. We went by train to Largs and from there boarded the M.V. Glen Sannox for a trip out to Rothesay on the Isle of Bute and then around the Isle of Arran then back, once again stopping at Rothesay before returning to Largs then back on the train and home. A very long day.

On a slightly smaller scale does anybody remember the layout Kyle of Tongue, built by Steve Flint (now editor of Railway Modeller), and the model of M.V. Isle of Arran. I once spent a good hour or so chatting to Steve about the model ship and looking at the amount of detail inside. Steve also had a folder full of scale drawings and photos of the real vessel so he could model the vessel as accurately as possible. I would love to find out what happened to the layout and if the model was ever completed.

• 1 month later...

I recently picked up a batch of family pictures that my brother had been keeping for me. Amongst them was this one which I had taken but didn't have a print of. It's "Loch Seaforth" leaving Kyle of Lochalsh in August 1962.

post-1771-0-36389300-1507484262.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have some very happy memories of a rip from Stornoway to Mallaig on the Loch Seaforth in 1970 after a holiday on Lewis.   I did hear that it came to a rather sad end.

Yes, hit a rock in the Sound of Gunna and managed to get to Tiree pier where a bulkhead collapsed and she promptly sank, blocking the pier for a couple of months.  She was eventually beached on Tiree and repaired sufficiently to enable her to be towed off for scrapping.

The vessel currently on the Oban - Coll -Tiree run is the MV Clansman. This picture, taken on a grey morning last week, shows her passing through the Sound of Gunna on the Wednesdays-only service from Tiree to Castlebay on Barra.  The Clansman is a very comfortable ship that rides the sometimes stormy waters off the west of Scotland very well - I believe that she maintained the service even through the difficult weather of the last few days which was fortunate for the many widsurfers booked to attend the Tiree Wave Classic.

post-6160-0-52323100-1508330706_thumb.jpg

June 2017. Unusual to see Lord of the Isles on the Mallaig-Armadale run?

At Armadale..

attachicon.gifIMG_6269.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6306.JPG

Departing Mallaig..

attachicon.gifIMG_6307.JPG

At Mallaig..

attachicon.gifIMG_6323.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6326.JPG

LOTI is on the Lochboisdale-Mallaig run making one round trip a day but in between outward/inward legs she also does two round trips to Armadale from Mallaig.That's been the case now for a couple of years

LOTI is on the Lochboisdale-Mallaig run making one round trip a day but in between outward/inward legs she also does two round trips to Armadale from Mallaig.That's been the case now for a couple of years

Hello Bon Accord.

I'm interested in the Cal Mac fleet but no expert when it comes to sailings etc. On that particular day she did three return trips then "disappeared" from the Mallaig-Armadale run... Thanks to your info I now know she was off back to Lochboisdale! 

Thanks

Alan  

• 2 weeks later...

Recently  discovered  these  amongst  my  archives.

Marchioness  of  Graham  approaching  Whiting  Bay  in  1957.  Not  a  happy  ship  as  described  by  Richard  M  Orr  ("The  Marchioness  of  Graham:  a  Purser's  Log").  This,  with  the  "Caledonia",  was  the  usual  boat  awaiting  us  at  Ardrossan  for  our  annual  sojurn  to  Arran  from  1956.

post-4979-0-63899500-1509567988_thumb.jpg

Then  about  1960  we  visited  Oban,  and  met  the  "Lochinvar" -- loading  cars  by  cargo  net!

post-4979-0-10972700-1509568187.jpg

About  the  same  time  I  was  able  to  walk  across  the  Forth  Bridge  (THE  Forth  Bridge!)  and  was  able  to  get  this  view  of  the  ferries.  No  idea  which  they  were.

post-4979-0-07787300-1509568472_thumb.jpg

Allan  F

Here are a couple from our trip to the Outer Isles last month.

Firstly, Hebrides arriving at Uig to take us to Harris

post-7952-0-65832800-1509616096_thumb.jpg

Secondly, Loch Seaforth at Ullapool having brought us over from Stornaway in some style. A lovely boat and a great breakfast.

post-7952-0-67539400-1509616105_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

While were on the subject can any one tell me how wide the actual paddles are on the Waverley, I've been looking on the web and can find its length, beam (over all) and draft plus all the engine dimensions but know where can I find the width of the paddles alone.

Looking at the pictures of Waverley I think about 10 to 12 ft each but that's a pure guess so if any one can help I'd be very grateful

Thanks Steve

While were on the subject can any one tell me how wide the actual paddles are on the Waverley, I've been looking on the web and can find its length, beam (over all) and draft plus all the engine dimensions but know where can I find the width of the paddles alone.

Looking at the pictures of Waverley I think about 10 to 12 ft each but that's a pure guess so if any one can help I'd be very grateful

Thanks Steve

Do you mean the paddle floats or the paddle wheel itself? The wooden paddle floats are 11' x 3' in size.

Archived