Any Question Answered

Pixie

Permanent magnets need to be raised/lowered away from the un-coupling position so they act like electro-magnets . In the past I have used 1/4"/6mm ones sliding up/down in K&S tube, and worked by servos, an idea gleaned from Stuart Bailey. I think if I remember correctly that Ian Morgan uses a similar arrangement with the magnets on hinged flaps.

Here are acouple of shots of my arrangement. Lowered and raised. The magnets sit just under the sleepers with a thin layer of paper between- to hide them and allow for ballasting. All very crude as usual for me, but it works, which is all that is needed.

attachicon.gifRMweb 2mm 01.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb 2mm 02.jpg

This particular one is for two magnets on adjacent tracks. I have arranged up to four across a baseboard - saves on servos.

hope it might give you some ideas

Izzy

Here is my arrangement under Freshwater. This one covers 3 parallel tracks. I drilled very small holes between the tracks so I could see where the magnets needed to go. The baseboard is something like 3mm MDF.

The servo arm rotates so it changes the axis of the magnets rather than just lowering them. The magnets need to move quite a long way away to ensure they do not cause unwanted uncoupling. In fact, I have since modified them so they rotate to nearly 90 degrees now. I have also replaced the Merg Servo4 modules with Merg CBus and CANSERVO8 modules, but that is another story.

I am sure these magnets would work through much thicker baseboards.

attachicon.gifmagnets_raised.jpg

attachicon.gifmagnets_lowered1.jpg

attachicon.gifmagnets_lowered2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys - definitely food for thought. 

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of being flamed for asking something that's been asked a dozen times before, can anyone point me in the direction of appropriate and up-to-date advice regarding suitable magnets for DG couplers?

I'm currently taking my first tentative steps and have assembled a small test rig with a couple of neodymium magnets and couplers on a couple of surplus Peco underframes but I can't seem to get the location of  the magnet right. It's on a bit of 6mm MDF and recessing one into the underside seems to be a bit hit-and-miss, whereas one positioned directly below the sleepers is far too powerful. Am I better off using electromagnets and winding the power down until it's just enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

The 2mm Beginners Guide has a section on using neodymium magnets which slide underneath the track. I tink there are some photos of them in one of the thread here.  Might be in Jerry's Bath Queen Square or Highbury Colliery topics.

If you can can't  find them, I'll repost.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of being flamed for asking something that's been asked a dozen times before, can anyone point me in the direction of appropriate and up-to-date advice regarding suitable magnets for DG couplers?

Did someone mention magnets?  :scratchhead:

You could do worse than use the coils from 12V relays like these.

post-7014-0-96844100-1508155091.jpg

The photo shows how I extend the pole piece to track level with a piece of 5mm diameter steel rod glued on with CA. These coils have the advantage that they do not run hot because they are designed to remain 'on' for extended periods

post-7014-0-28447900-1508155234.jpg

Here's how it looks from above after installation. The reason the sleeper has a chunk cut out of it is because I forgot to drill holes before laying the track! 

:banghead:

David

PS. I also use these relays for changing points and crossing vee polarity, but that is another story.

post-7014-0-71119500-1508155530.jpg

Edited by Kylestrome

designs change it happens apologies to all for leading up a blind alley

Nick

Not complaining, just saving the next person the time spent trying.

Question 2 - are the jinty conversion roads designed to be used single thickness or laminated?

Kind regards, cautious of Auckland.

Not complaining, just saving the next person the time spent trying.

Question 2 - are the jinty conversion roads designed to be used single thickness or laminated?

Kind regards, cautious of Auckland.

They should be laminated from two layers. A single layer would be very flimsy, especially with the fluting.

Andy

Just to be sure before I cut metal, is it ok to slice off the shaft at the contacts end of the motor, and are there any measures I should take to protect the bearings etc? I plan to use a slitting disk.

TIA

John

Just to be sure before I cut metal, is it ok to slice off the shaft at the contacts end of the motor, and are there any measures I should take to protect the bearings etc? I plan to use a slitting disk.

TIA

John

post-18885-0-92756800-1508420582_thumb.jpg

1. Wrap the motor in Sellotape to prevent filings getting inside it,
  2. Clamp end of shaft in a big vice, to act as a heat sink. Support motor in fingers.

Good Luck.

I'd add that it is critical that you don't let the motor shaft get too hot as the bearings are often plastic. As well as using the heat sink idea I've cut the shafts using a series of short sessions with the cutting disc allowing the shaft to cool between times instead of trying to go through it in one go.

Andy

I'd add that it is critical that you don't let the motor shaft get too hot as the bearings are often plastic. As well as using the heat sink idea I've cut the shafts using a series of short sessions with the cutting disc allowing the shaft to cool between times instead of trying to go through it in one go.

Andy

Andy and Ian thank you both.

Done!

Phew.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Did someone mention magnets?  :scratchhead:

You could do worse than use the coils from 12V relays like these.

attachicon.gifDSC_0037.jpg

The photo shows how I extend the pole piece to track level with a piece of 5mm diameter steel rod glued on with CA. These coils have the advantage that they do not run hot because they are designed to remain 'on' for extended periods

attachicon.gifDSC_0040.jpg

Here's how it looks from above after installation. The reason the sleeper has a chunk cut out of it is because I forgot to drill holes before laying the track! 

:banghead:

David

PS. I also use these relays for changing points and crossing vee polarity, but that is another story.

attachicon.gifDSC_0028.jpg

David,

Thanks for the tip about the relays. I bought a pack of five on Ebay for £8.91 which, with a few pence for the steel rod extension, will make the uncouplers about £2 each. Considerably cheaper than the £7.50 for the Kerr type these days.

By the way, do you use AC or DC with them? I tried one with both today and couldn't see much difference in performance. I've found that the Kerr types seem to work much better with AC.

David

• RMweb Premium

By the way, do you use AC or DC with them? I tried one with both today and couldn't see much difference in performance. I've found that the Kerr types seem to work much better with AC.

David

I use 12V AC which makes the couplings vibrate a bit and 'un-sticks' any that are reluctant to uncouple. 

There is a theory that using AC avoids magnetising the DG steel dropper wires, but I don't know how much truth there is in it.

David

PS. I'm pleased someone finds my posts useful.  :)

Edited by Kylestrome

David,

Thanks for the tip about the relays. I bought a pack of five on Ebay for £8.91 which, with a few pence for the steel rod extension, will make the uncouplers about £2 each. Considerably cheaper than the £7.50 for the Kerr type these days.

David

Is anyone still buying the PK electromagnets ?  They're a terrible design.    The somewhat similar outside, but considerably better inside alternative is the Seep badged electromagnet.   The Seep delivers a decent field strength and works on a fraction of an amp.  Unlike the PK, which seems to be designed to dim your house lights when operated.  

Or, there's "chop up a relay".  Or move rare-earth magnets under the baseboard as alternatives. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Is anyone still buying the PK electromagnets ?  They're a terrible design.    The somewhat similar outside, but considerably better inside alternative is the Seep badged electromagnet.   The Seep delivers a decent field strength and works on a fraction of an amp.  Unlike the PK, which seems to be designed to dim your house lights when operated.  

Or, there's "chop up a relay".  Or move rare-earth magnets under the baseboard as alternatives. 

- Nigel

I don't know if the design has changed but the batch I bought directly from Phil Kerr have been tough and reliable over many years usage. They do need an appropriate transformer and a button capable of carrying the current.

Nowadays, I think my preference for the type of layout I build is for rare earth magnets moved mechanically under the baseboard.

On the first layout Richard Wilson and I jointly built, we used a Post Office 3000 relay coil. Fortunately we had room under the baseboard as it is not a compact design.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Or wind your own as Julia Adams did for Highclere details here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/220/entry-3957-im-attracted-to-you/

Don

I've done that in the past. They worked very well but very nearly burnt a hole in the baseboard when a push button switch got stuck 'on', hence my preference now for ex-relay coils and spring loaded toggle switches.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

I've used the Kerr magnets with ordinary Maplin push buttons for years and have never had any trouble with them. They have worked everytime and no burnouts on switches or coils. What on earth to people do with them to have these sort of results? My main objection is that they have got rather expensive and as for Seep coils they cost even more! I have better things to do with my life than wind my own coils and, although ingenious, I'm really not sold on sliding magnets.

Hence the appeal of David's idea which, with a bit of modification work, gives a working magnet for a couple of quid. Excellent!  :yes:

David

• RMweb Gold

Probably academic if you get get suitable onnes for about £2  but if needed a coil shouldn't need to get to hot. The Magnetic flux is proportional to the ampere-turns if it is to hot increase the turns (and possible decrease the wire size) so the ampere turns remains the same but the current is lower. I used to juggle with things like this to ensure ampliances would not overheat when stalled (or a solenoid jammed). The other alternative is to make a fusible link in case the push button jams. Wrap a bit of paper round the coil attach one end of the coil to a pice of solder and one of the leads to the other end of the solder  so the solder lays across the coil and wrap more paper over it. making sure there is enough space for the solder to melt into. 

If you have never solder wire to solder pass the end of the wire through a flame and push gently into the end of the solder remove the flame. It may take a bit of practice. We had a girl on the production line who was ace at doing it but she got pregnant and took maternity leave. The other girls on the line complained it was too difficult so I went onto the line and did some myself. Not wishing to be outdone by a mere man one of the girls had a go and was soon doing it faster than me. One smug girl, one happy production manager and me happy to report problem resolved to the development manager my boss.

Don 

• 1 month later...

Bachmann Farish 08 0-6-0DM conversion, anyone?

I recently realised that I had an unused and forgotten Bachmann Farish 08 at the back of a drawer, and pondered on what is required to finescale it (it's in EWS livery, but I'm sure that can be resolved). 

I have the Association Magazine back numbers and there is plenty of material on building the Association 08 kit and an article from 1999 on converting the old Farish Poole inside-framed 08, but nothing - as far as I can see - on converting the current outside-framed model. I can see that there's a conversion chassis etch in Shop 3 which I presume is intended for this purpose (and currently out of stock) but I've never seen an account of this being done. 

Is there any guidance available on this, or does anyone have a story to tell of their own conversion?

Edited by chrisveitch

I recently realised that I had an unused and forgotten Bachmann Farish 08 at the back of a drawer, and pondered on what is required to finescale it (it's in EWS livery, but I'm sure that can be resolved). 

I have the Association Magazine back numbers and there is plenty of material on building the Association 08 kit and an article from 1999 on converting the old Farish Poole inside-framed 08, but nothing - as far as I can see - on converting the current outside-framed model. I can see that there's a conversion chassis etch in Shop 3 which I presume is intended for this purpose (and currently out of stock) but I've never seen an account of this being done. 

Is there any guidance available on this, or does anyone have a story to tell of their own conversion?

Chris,

Mick Simpson wrote an excellent article on building the conversion chassis which appears in the February 2017 2mm Magazine. If you can't find the magazine then it's downloadable from the member's area of the Association website.

Regards,

Andy

Chris,

Mick Simpson wrote an excellent article on building the conversion chassis which appears in the February 2017 2mm Magazine. If you can't find the magazine then it's downloadable from the member's area of the Association website.

Regards,

Andy

Ah. How embarrassing - my only excuse is that I was using the back number index which only goes up to 2015...

I'll dig it out and have a read. I'm not sure whether to be more worried that I'd forgotten about the article, or about the 08 that I'd bought sometime in the past...

Edited by chrisveitch

Perhaps the website says the chassis is out of stock, but I recently sent them loads. 

Chris

I am planning to use Neodymium magnets, swung through an angle under the baseboard to operate DG couplings. Is it worth having half the magnets North up and half South up to minimise the operating wires on the couplings getting magnetised? I also will have at least one location where I plan to have two magnets being swung by one servo to allow uncoupling on closely spaced double track. The magnets will be 21.5mm centre to centre here (4mm diameter by 3mm thick magnets). Again, is it better to have the same magnet pole up, or opposite poles, or does it make no difference? I am thinking of the interaction in the magnetic field between the two magnets. Am I overthinking again?! :scratchhead:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but a lot of 2mmfs modellers use DG's and some of them use permanent magnets for operation, so I thought this would be the most likely place.

Mim

Edited by Mim