Viability of foamboard baseboards?

Guest jonte

Guest jonte

Perhaps I'm guilty of over-egging the pudding here as I know this topic's been done to death, but perhaps it might prove of interest to one or two, tired of lugging round the ubiquitous two by ones and are considering venturing down a 'lighter' path.

Anyway, whilst conducting a long overdue tidy up of my railway room/office t'other day, I came across this cob web strewn item:

post-4524-0-66754000-1307647762_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-69279400-1307647799_thumb.jpg

The photos are of a single (open topped) baseboard with dimensions of approx. 2' x 1' built to the Barry Norman 'girder' method of construction, except I've replaced the ply with foamboard strips of either 3 or 5mm thickness (might actually be a mixture of both if my memory serves me right).

Built as an experiment to test the viability of foamboard as an alternative form of construction after reading about Chris Nevard's Somerset micro (Catcott), I didn't get round to finishing it off and it's been left unpainted/unsealed for around twelve months in my only occasionally heated outside office - like most people's garages/sheds really. Surprisingly, it's none the worse for wear and is as plumb/true as the day the PVA glue (holding it all together) dried. With a top of say 4mm and some paint to seal it, provided the clips/hinges/bolts joining each to its neighbouring board were fastened to the reinforced wooden parts, I see no reason why this method of construction shouldn't give a long and durable service to the portable layout builder who's given up weight lifting in favour of a more sedantary life style.

Any thoughts?

Jonte

Yes! Foamboard is amazing stuff. Easy to cut and strong. The plan I have is to simply construct a ply frame to take weight for stands, etc as the foamboard is quite easily impact damaged, but construct the battens and surface from foamboard. It's light and strong provided you use the offcuts as bracing, and you can glue it together with a glue gun (I might need to replace mine as it was a Woolworths one and I can't seem to find the correct size glue sticks...)

Guest jonte

Yes! Foamboard is amazing stuff. Easy to cut and strong. The plan I have is to simply construct a ply frame to take weight for stands, etc as the foamboard is quite easily impact damaged, but construct the battens and surface from foamboard. It's light and strong provided you use the offcuts as bracing, and you can glue it together with a glue gun (I might need to replace mine as it was a Woolworths one and I can't seem to find the correct size glue sticks...)

Thanks for the reply, The Evil Bus Driver. I'm glad you agree. I overlooked that part: yes, it's prone to impact damage. However, your solution of employing a sub base to take the strain sounds ideal.

Out of interest, is there anybody out there whose built a portable layout using these methods? I know I referred to Chris Nevard in my earlier post, however, I think he ended up covering the whole lot in ply - which rather defeats the object?

Jonte

Wilkinsons may help with the the glue sticks if the ones you are after are the thinner ones. I have two hot glue guns, one takes the standard size the other thinner ones that I get from wilkinsons in the craft section

, I think he ended up covering the whole lot in ply - which rather defeats the object?

Jonte

Actually no. If Chris used 2/3mm ply the weight saving is enormous and the strength and rigidity huge. The ply makes a wonderful surface for applying glues which would dissolve or soak into the foam.

Foam is notorious for damage. Most people think that is about breaking up into chips but draw a line on it with pencil, press a little too hard and bingo a permanent and unsightly dent.

Mechanically, with the sort of fabricated girder construction you have used, more than strong enough. The use of a sub base or hard points from ply to take point loads such as support stands is sound. I have had a couple of fair size PVA bonded architectural models made from this material in my unheated outbuilding for some years, not a hint of trouble in terms of stability, so I would have no worries on that score.

There is a potential acoustic problem however, as I discovered when tinkering with the same idea, and it is to do with the lightness of the material. This helps it to function more effectively as a loudspeaker diaphragm when excited by a source of mechanical energy, and the lightness means that higher frequencies are efficiently coupled to the air when compared with a more massive material like plywood.

• RMweb Gold

If you added a thin ply fascia cut to the scenic profile just a you might with a timber base and a thin ply backscene you would provide protection from impact damage and still retain a light rigid structure.

Don

I built a micro layout with it, and a last-minute fiddle yard - both using 10mm board assembled with PVA and masking tape to hold the joints while the glue set. I really enjoyed the experience and would consider foamboard before timber for future projects - in fact there's a new sheet of 10mm in my garage earmarked for use soon.

I tend to use Styrofoam scenery and face everything with 3mm MDF profile boards. The Styrofoam helps keep things square, the MDF protects against knocks and gives a nice solid result. I believe Chris Nevard uses aero-modelling ply for the same thing, which is lighter but dearer.

Here's mine in bits:

profile-boards.jpg

and tidied up and painted:

overview.jpg

and here's the longer fiddle yard - s'cuse the dodgy paint:

gallery_7119_1240_396668.jpg

The 10mm board needs only simple bracing - the Whitemarsh fiddle yard is four feet long with (I think) three cross braces and diagonals in the boxes they form, and it's not bent so far :) The trickiest bit is getting the cuts square so that the cut edges can be neatly butt-jointed.

Will

• RMweb Gold

This is my module for the YMR layout. It's all built out of 5mm foamboard, glued with Anita's Tacky glue (quick setting pva).

Early construction shot :

post-7025-0-80423100-1307693242_thumb.jpg

Completed shot :

post-7025-0-55854700-1307691842_thumb.jpg

Guest stuartp

The extensions to Portwilliam use 5mm (I think) foamboard doubled up and glued with no nails. I faced one board with 6mm ply which kind of defeated the object but the rest seems pretty stable so far. However, I stored some spare sheets in the garage, on top of a cupboard under a corrugated cement board roof, and they warped in the heat last summer. The foam has distorted badly on a couple of them. They were free from a skip so nothing lost but it's very annoying.

One potential problem I can forsee is that damp could cause the card facing to delaminate. Even if it doesn't separate from the foam, if it separates from itself at a glued joint you're in bother. I'm a convert though, I can lift a 4' x 1' fiddle yard board on and off the top shelf in the study with one hand.

I paint the MDF attached to the foamboard with a general purpose primer and water-based enamel, but not the board itself. I have heard other people say that if you use something water-based you need to apply the same thing to both sides to avoid warping.

Will

• RMweb Premium

What paint do people use on foamboard? (I'd sprayed it with flamebar first but it seemed OK with that).

Flamebar? I take it is a kind of fire retardant? I don't think you need to apply that to foamboard.

I have some foamboard and my friend was curious to know how resistant to fire it is so I put a match to a few scrap pieces and found that the foam and paper does not catch fire, only melts if the flame is held to it.

So I concluded that foamboard is fire resistant.

I used 3mm ply as an outer shell and 6mm on the ends of Catcott, the layout is still VERY VERY light (I have to G clamp it to the trestles at shows, because it it easily knocked off should some unwashed oaf rest on it), but can take impacts when chucking it in to the car etc.

Being honest, I don't think I'd use it for anything bigger than a micro, and wouldn't even consider it for a layout kept in a high moisture area like a damp remote garage or shed, because unless well braced WILL warp or possibly even de-laminate in such conditions. However, Catcott lives in the house, and 3 years down the road has suffered no warping or deformation as such. Basically enjoy it, but it is not a direct replacement for more established materials like ply.

• RMweb Gold

I used 3mm ply as an outer shell and 6mm on the ends of Catcott, the layout is still VERY VERY light...

It makes him look ( even more ) like Superman when he's carrying a 6 ft plus layout, over his head, with just one hand !

Guest jonte

Mechanically, with the sort of fabricated girder construction you have used, more than strong enough. The use of a sub base or hard points from ply to take point loads such as support stands is sound. I have had a couple of fair size PVA bonded architectural models made from this material in my unheated outbuilding for some years, not a hint of trouble in terms of stability, so I would have no worries on that score.

There is a potential acoustic problem however, as I discovered when tinkering with the same idea, and it is to do with the lightness of the material. This helps it to function more effectively as a loudspeaker diaphragm when excited by a source of mechanical energy, and the lightness means that higher frequencies are efficiently coupled to the air when compared with a more massive material like plywood.

So then, it doubles as set of drums :lol:

Jonte

Guest jonte

Some of the members at Ormesby Hall built a 16' exhibition layout using the methods described and it goes out to local shows. It's based on Robin Hood's bay and trades under the name 'Skaledale Bay'.

I shall have to check this one out, jwealleans.

Many thanks,

Jonte

Guest jonte

If you added a thin ply fascia cut to the scenic profile just a you might with a timber base and a thin ply backscene you would provide protection from impact damage and still retain a light rigid structure.

Don

Thanks Donw

Jonte

Guest jonte

;)

I built a micro layout with it, and a last-minute fiddle yard - both using 10mm board assembled with PVA and masking tape to hold the joints while the glue set. I really enjoyed the experience and would consider foamboard before timber for future projects - in fact there's a new sheet of 10mm in my garage earmarked for use soon.

I tend to use Styrofoam scenery and face everything with 3mm MDF profile boards. The Styrofoam helps keep things square, the MDF protects against knocks and gives a nice solid result. I believe Chris Nevard uses aero-modelling ply for the same thing, which is lighter but dearer.

Here's mine in bits:

profile-boards.jpg

and tidied up and painted:

overview.jpg

and here's the longer fiddle yard - s'cuse the dodgy paint:

gallery_7119_1240_396668.jpg

The 10mm board needs only simple bracing - the Whitemarsh fiddle yard is four feet long with (I think) three cross braces and diagonals in the boxes they form, and it's not bent so far :) The trickiest bit is getting the cuts square so that the cut edges can be neatly butt-jointed.

Will

Dodgy paint? I don't believe a word of it. Surely it's a personal identification mark in the event of theft? ;)

I think you're right about Chris' choice of aeromodelling products. I remember pricing it and it was very expensive - like the corrugated MDF he uses for backscenes :lol:

Nice to see that someone's proved the point, Will. Excellent modelling BTW.

Jonte

Guest jonte

This is my module for the YMR layout. It's all built out of 5mm foamboard, glued with Anita's Tacky glue (quick setting pva).

Early construction shot :

post-7025-0-80423100-1307693242_thumb.jpg

Completed shot :

post-7025-0-55854700-1307691842_thumb.jpg

This just had to be another Stubby masterpiece.

Jonte

Guest jonte

The extensions to Portwilliam use 5mm (I think) foamboard doubled up and glued with no nails. I faced one board with 6mm ply which kind of defeated the object but the rest seems pretty stable so far. However, I stored some spare sheets in the garage, on top of a cupboard under a corrugated cement board roof, and they warped in the heat last summer. The foam has distorted badly on a couple of them. They were free from a skip so nothing lost but it's very annoying.

One potential problem I can forsee is that damp could cause the card facing to delaminate. Even if it doesn't separate from the foam, if it separates from itself at a glued joint you're in bother. I'm a convert though, I can lift a 4' x 1' fiddle yard board on and off the top shelf in the study with one hand.

Thanks stuartp.

I'm sure though (although not certain)that provided the card is sealed with either a suitable paint or PVA based substance, it would stand the test of humidity/damp within reason of course.

Jonte

Guest jonte

What paint do people use on foamboard? I used some for part of a pantomime set, and it warped slightly after a couple of coats of emulsion paint (I'd sprayed it with flamebar first but it seemed OK with that).

I've recently painted my baseboards - the traverser of which contains a couple of foamboard cross-pieces - with oil based undercoat thinned with white spirit and it's fine.

Jonte

Guest jonte

Flamebar? I take it is a kind of fire retardant? I don't think you need to apply that to foamboard.

I have some foamboard and my friend was curious to know how resistant to fire it is so I put a match to a few scrap pieces and found that the foam and paper does not catch fire, only melts if the flame is held to it.

So I concluded that foamboard is fire resistant.

Most reassuring Welly. Thanks.

Jonte

Guest jonte

I used 3mm ply as an outer shell and 6mm on the ends of Catcott, the layout is still VERY VERY light (I have to G clamp it to the trestles at shows, because it it easily knocked off should some unwashed oaf rest on it), but can take impacts when chucking it in to the car etc.

Being honest, I don't think I'd use it for anything bigger than a micro, and wouldn't even consider it for a layout kept in a high moisture area like a damp remote garage or shed, because unless well braced WILL warp or possibly even de-laminate in such conditions. However, Catcott lives in the house, and 3 years down the road has suffered no warping or deformation as such. Basically enjoy it, but it is not a direct replacement for more established materials like ply.

From the horse's mouth! ;)

Thanks Chris.

Jonte

Archived