WDLR

• RMweb Premium

For quite a few years now my major model railway interest has been in the WW1 railways of the WDLR and the supplies and equipment that they moved. In the last year or so interest in WW1 modelling in the smaller scales seems to have picked up and some very nice items are now coming on the market, making a WDLR layout possible without too much scratch building.

I have posted a couple of pictures of models that I have built, posed on a small photo diorama. If there is any interest in the subject I could find a few more.

post-3457-0-99571700-1309042103_thumb.jpg

post-3457-0-94272300-1309042117_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for your interest. as promised, another couple of subjects.

post-3457-0-59472700-1309180573_thumb.jpg

Is there anybody out there working in this scale and gauge? (or even thinking about it)?

Alex.

Hi Alex,

Great stuff, and thats a gorgeous Baldwin, is it from a kit? The "see through" nature of this loco always makes it awkward to motorise, how have you done this one?

Many thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the compliment. the Baldwin is a mixture of the better parts from both Gem and Chivers kits heavily reworked and a scratchbuilt milled bar frame, plus quite a lot of detailing. Drive is to rear axle via. worm, bearing, 3 transverse spur gears arranged vertically in the firebox to a Mabuchi motor in the boiler.

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the compliment. the Baldwin is a mixture of the better parts from both Gem and Chivers kits heavily reworked and a scratchbuilt milled bar frame, plus quite a lot of detailing. Drive is to rear axle via. worm, bearing, 3 transverse spur gears arranged vertically in the firebox to a Mabuchi motor in the boiler.

Alex.

A real engineering job then.

I'm very impressed, it was hard enough to arrange an unseen drive in the 7mm scale version.

Thanks very much,

Dave.T

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Erithian and James - a couple more photos taken on a very small diorama made mainly to try out my fly swat and tea strainer static grass thingie which worked rather well.

post-3457-0-82761300-1309806100_thumb.jpg

post-3457-0-80673600-1309806110_thumb.jpg

The rail is code 40 on plywood sleepers and 2mm scale ballast, the engines use a mixture of 2mm Assoc. and 3mm Soc. wheels with the rear of their flanges skimmed, and in the case of the 40hp Simplex an Arnold Kof chassis with turned down flanges. The Baldwin has its center driver flanges turned off as per the real thing.

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

All of my WDLR models will be on static display on Saturday 16th July when a small group of friends will be holding a day of railway modelling at the St Mary's Church Community Hall in Sawston just south of Cambridge. We are specifically not billing this as a 'model railway exhibition', just a chance to come along and see several layouts, see what we are working on, talk about model railways and possibly raise a bit of money for the church restoration fund.

The layouts due to appear are:-

Obberkaer - P87 Danish

Pampisford - P4 BR-E (first public outing for nearly 10 years)

Oxenbridge - P4 BR-M

Fen End Pit - 16mm narrow gauge

We will also have some demonstrations and other static exhibits ranging from 2mm finescale to French Gauge 3!

As I said, it isn't an exhibition so we don't have any traders but teas and coffees will be available. Entry will be £1.50 for adults or £2.00 for adults with accompanying children. We shall be open from 10:30 to 16:00.

post-3457-0-27244400-1309968962_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I am in the process of planing a Lynton & Barnstaple layout working to just under 8mm gauge (off the top of my head I cant remember the exact dimension)

Would be interested to hear what (if any) issues you had with the chassis with a narrower gauge, particularly given mention of using modified RTR chassis.

• RMweb Premium

Lankyphil - meet Gunner Jobsworth ("Oi - you can't take photos ere, clear off").

Invercloy - The track is part of an experimental section I made to try out construction methods. The ply sleepers were glued down then jig drilled, brass lace pins were forced into the holes and their heads tinned then code 40 rail was soldered to them, the result is quite nice looking but very fragile hence the decision to use it in the dio. Also it takes ages.

Fatadder - A few issues. My track gauge is 7.93, picked because I intended to model the Penrhyn system (still might, someday) and is close enough for me to use it on the WDLR stuff. Wheels are the first problem, if you intend to model scale track it won't look so good using clearances for 009 flanges, so you might want either to source wheels from the 2mm Assoc. or the 3mm Soc., if you go the 2mm Assoc route you may well need to use split-frame chassis, or you can turn down the 3mm or supplied 009 ones, not too tough to do if you own a lathe. Given a 7.9 gauge and finer flanges plus a bit of play you are at a back to back measurement of about 6.9mm, which doesn't leave much room for inside frames and a gearbox if you are adapting a RTR or kit chassis, although the superglue impregnated Rizla paper insulating method can save vital tenths here. I built a Backwoods Mins. NGG16 Garratt to run on 7.93 and could only get the gearboxes in by narrowing them and sanding the gears to match. The tiny Arnold chassis that I used in the 40hp Simplex had widely spaced wheels so I could simply push them further on after skimming, whilst Nigel Lawton's excellent 20hp Simplex required only skimming and regauging. The Baldwin chassis was scratchbuilt so I could plan all the clearances from the start, although if I did it again I would use the split frame method, as finding room for pickups is a real pain. I really hope that I haven't made all this sound difficult because it isn't, it just requires a bit more thought before you start construction because otherwise problems that you cause when you start modifying mechanisms tend to come back to bite you further on. The County Gate site has some interesting stuff about using a 08 chassis in a Backwoods L & B loco, although I think that layout is 009 and I don't know if the 08 chassis could be regauged.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Alex, thanks for the info on the track, i might give that a try for a diorama some time.

Would be interested to hear what (if any) issues you had with the chassis with a narrower gauge, particularly given mention of using modified RTR chassis.

Take a look at the Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review index for articles on 'Borth y Gest' by Paul Holmes, it's a finescale layout in 4mm scale and he has described in detail the construction of chassis for his layout. I think he also modified some Backwoods Miniatures kits, so this may be covered. You may find that the back to back measurements for RTR chassis blocks will be too close together to fit the chassis block in for finescale.

The Baldwin is superb - it captures the light and airy appearing perfectly!

It's intersting seeing finescale narrow gauge as I feel often NG has an underserved reputation for being twee and a poor relation to the more mainstream scales, not helped by the odd twee layout on the exhibtion cicuit. But the light nature of your track is a world away from this and on another level entirely! Really impressed :)

The Baldwin is superb. :good_mini: :clapping_mini:

Did you mill the frames yourself? I could do with at least 3 sets milling to 7mm scale for O-14

Also, the transporter wagon in the first picture with the (I think) 18pdr, did you find a drawing for that?

I have only seen a couple of photos of the real ones at odd angles in the distance.

I'd quite like a train of those to run on the O-14 WDLR layout myslef and 2 friends are building.

(link in my signature, its not been updated for a while though, next get together should be in a couple of weeks)

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Thank you James and Mike.

I haven't done much 4mm NG lately, having had my 2mmFS head on, but I can feel a Hunslet coming on, also some side tipping wagons.

As far as I know there are no drawings for the 18pdr transporter, I sized mine from the the gun and the photo, and a bit of trial and error (bogie swing, ground clearance etc.). I did a small article with dimensions for Narrow Gauge & Industrial Review which Roy printed in No. 71 along with an article about a similar wagon in 16mm, no drawings or dims., sadly. If you are modelling the WDLR you will find that the Review is an absolute goldmine of information, regularly publishing drawings of stock and locos.

I did mill the frames myself - again I used the excellent Baldwin drawings from an earlier Review.

Alex.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you for that. I haven't posted for a while but I thought I'd share a photo of my latest WDLR loco, the Dick, Kerr tractor built from the excellent Meridian kit. Not yet weathered (or wired for DCC). I really must get around to building a different diorama to photograph these things on.

Alex.

post-3457-0-02702300-1328538170.jpg

Archived