Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Just seen this layout thread! Excellent work! I love the way the layout uses the space especially with the tracks going under the bridge :)

Thankyou danstercivicman, here is a picture of a busy Leaford Town yard with grain, salt, scrap and MOD traffic flows represented.

post-5799-0-69719100-1520163388_thumb.jpg

Kevin.

• Like 15

Hey Kev,

How's it going mate. Hope alls well. Really liking the lasted crop of pictures. You do have some awesome stock, especially the RFD 47s,

I have some more free days coming up soon mate, I'll let you know. Hopefully we can arrange another visit soon.

Regards, Dave.

• Like 1

Hey Kev,

How's it going mate. Hope alls well. Really liking the lasted crop of pictures. You do have some awesome stock, especially the RFD 47s,

I have some more free days coming up soon mate, I'll let you know. Hopefully we can arrange another visit soon.

Regards, Dave.

Hello Dave, I am away Friday for a fortnight, but I am sure that we can arrange something with your free days on my return.

post-5799-0-59295000-1520411794_thumb.jpg

Class 73105  with an engineers train.

Its funny that the out of square mesh on the grill does not show on the model for real!!!

Regards Kevin.

Edited by Hampshire Hog
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi Kev

Hope all is well and the misses is ok to now...

I like the 73105, brings back memories, along with ODEON or Olive Dean Entertains Our Nation, just encase you didn't know ha-ha! I only leant it a few weeks ago as I looked up at the ODEON at BNS aka Birmingham New Street or is that now Grand Central...

Always great to see Kev, keep up the good work.

Regard

Jamie

Hi Kev

Hope all is well and the misses is ok to now...

I like the 73105, brings back memories, along with ODEON or Olive Dean Entertains Our Nation, just encase you didn't know ha-ha! I only leant it a few weeks ago as I looked up at the ODEON at BNS aka Birmingham New Street or is that now Grand Central...

Always great to see Kev, keep up the good work.

Regard

Jamie

Hello Jamie, I am pleased to say the misses is now fine but she gave us a scare for a moment.

I did not know that was what ODEON stood for (incidently that building started of on Temeraires layout Exford as a B&Q,- I wonder what B&Q stands for?) I am sure someone will know. 

Anyway Jamie I know that you like 33's so here is 33 029 shunting at Leaford Jct.

post-5799-0-75727200-1524806355_thumb.jpg

Its nice to hear from you Jamie.

Best regards.

Kevin.

• Like 7

Hello Jamie, I am pleased to say the misses is now fine but she gave us a scare for a moment.

I did not know that was what ODEON stood for (incidently that building started of on Temeraires layout Exford as a B&Q,- I wonder what B&Q stands for?) I am sure someone will know. 

Anyway Jamie I know that you like 33's so here is 33 029 shunting at Leaford Jct.

attachicon.gifsmall 2 140.jpg

Best regards.

Kevin.

If I remember correctly, B&Q stands for the surnames of the people who founded a small hardware store, Borris & Quail

attachicon.gifsmall 2 140.jpg

Best regards.

Kevin.

Interesting what you learn on here, I personally thought ODEON was a word for years, to find out like most things today are acronym's rather than words.

Hi Shed

Again I never knew that about B&Q, I thought it was just short for Barbeque lol that's made me laugh... the sado that I am lol

like I said you learn something everyday and I can say that with B&Q, so cheers for that bit of trivia.

Yes... Kevin, very nice class 33 and love the lightly weathered look you have gave it. Regards to what you say it started out as 'Temeraires layout Exford as a B&Q' you should have it lightly greyed over on the opposite side as if the sign as been taken down, a way of remembering it for other reasons like you say on your Exford layout.

I never saw Maplin's going either seemed to modern of a shop for all its electronic bits n bobs etc... all be it was somewhat expensive, but it was good for getting the speakers for loco etc... now where do we go for buy off the shelf items. You could have a full line of shop signs that once was, there seems a few in the last couple of years or since Woolworths I'd say lol How long will it be before all the best stuff is no longer Japan/China lol 

Great to hear from you Kevin, take it easy bud.

Regards

Jamie

Interesting what you learn on here, I personally thought ODEON was a word for years, to find out like most things today are acronym's rather than words.

Hi Shed

Again I never knew that about B&Q, I thought it was just short for Barbeque lol that's made me laugh... the sado that I am lol

like I said you learn something everyday and I can say that with B&Q, so cheers for that bit of trivia.

Yes... Kevin, very nice class 33 and love the lightly weathered look you have gave it. Regards to what you say it started out as 'Temeraires layout Exford as a B&Q' you should have it lightly greyed over on the opposite side as if the sign as been taken down, a way of remembering it for other reasons like you say on your Exford layout.

I never saw Maplin's going either seemed to modern of a shop for all its electronic bits n bobs etc... all be it was somewhat expensive, but it was good for getting the speakers for loco etc... now where do we go for buy off the shelf items. You could have a full line of shop signs that once was, there seems a few in the last couple of years or since Woolworths I'd say lol How long will it be before all the best stuff is no longer Japan/China lol 

Great to hear from you Kevin, take it easy bud.

Regards

Jamie

My thanks guys, it is ironic that the interweb that allows us to communicate here, is also responsible (perhaps partly) for the demise of the very topic we are communicating about?

Best regards

Kevin.

Hello Dave, I am away Friday for a fortnight, but I am sure that we can arrange something with your free days on my return.

attachicon.gifsmall 2 138.jpg

Class 73105  with an engineers train.

Its funny that the out of square mesh on the grill does not show on the model for real!!!

Regards Kevin.

Hi Kev

Is the class 73105 the new Dapol and if so what you verdict on the running of, temped each time I drop in Dapol Factory shop...? also nice Crane on your engineers train behind it, was that a scratch built...? I sometimes get them on the back line in Bescot.

If only Dapol/Bachmann/Hornby etc... made more of those type of items rather than just slap a new livery on a MK3 Coach and resell it, we want more of what we don't see on the network, like the RHTT is a great start as and when it arrives from eHattons...

Regards

Jamie

Hi Kev

Nice Crane on your engineers train, was that a scratch built...? I sometimes get them on the back line in Bescot.

If only Dapol/Bachmann/Hornby etc... made more of those type of items rather than just slap a new livery on a MK3 Coach and resell it, we want more of what we don't see on the network, like the RHTT is a great start as and when it arrives from eHattons.

There are kits available of such cranes...

http://www.makeyourmarkmodels.com

Nothing a bit of modelling won't fix!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

One of the frequent visitors to The Port of Leaford, coastal cargo ship "Molly J" needed to be re-fueled for a long trip to the Ascension Islands? due to a new contract, so the resident Self Propelled Bunkers Barge "Noah" makes a visit and proves it is up to the task, I think the crew of the Molly J hopes that she is too!!

The two are photographed together:--

post-5799-0-45022700-1527348526_thumb.jpg

post-5799-0-72229900-1527348586_thumb.jpg

This model started life as a shortened Walthers Car Float kit with a scratch built deck, the pipework supplied by Knightwing, the HIAB crane by Kibri, and the deck accesories by Deansmarine the rest all scratch from plasticard.

Best Regards,

Kevin. 

• Like 8

Thanks for that, never came across that website before, and oh man, they are not cheap are they...!?!

But would be great addition to an layout.

Thanks again for that

Jamie

I’d call £95 for a bespoke kit that makes those cranes cheap to be honest !

Lovely boats by the way

Some Fantastic modelling here. The refuelling barge is a master stroke, 10 out of 10. Looking forward to the next ship model.

My thanks Nigel for your kind words and for getting me into this marine modelling in the first place by showing me a picture of a fantastic layout called "The Port of Los Angeles" by Bernard Kempinski and then later giving me a book by the same person called "Waterfront Terminals and Operations" I was suitably inspired to do my Bunkers Barge from Bernards original featured on his layout. (just google The Port of Los Angeles model railway).

Word is out that the "Molly J" charter for the Ascension contract has been possibly cancelled as a newer more modern ship has been requested.

Kevin. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a pleasant afternoon at Leaford thanks to Kevin.

Hi PaulRhB

Great YouTube Clip, those cranes look superb, I would love a pair of those on my layout, but they are a bit pricey to say the least, but they do look great on any layout, that's what we should see the manufactures making more of, rather than a re-livery of some old MK3's...

Regard

Jamie

Hi PaulRhB

Great YouTube Clip, those cranes look superb, I would love a pair of those on my layout, but they are a bit pricey to say the least, but they do look great on any layout, that's what we should see the manufactures making more of, rather than a re-livery of some old MK3's...

Regard

Jamie

Firstly my thanks to Paul for both his company yesterday and his excellent YouTube clip, and I think you are right Jamie - but even if mass produced these cranes would be expensive because of their complicated build-up making them difficult to replicate, but you never know one can hope!!

Best regards

Kevin.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin

Hope you are keeping on mate along with the other half,,,

Yes, it would be great, I know they are expensive as they are currently, and things are getting more expensive to...

It would just be nice for the manufactures to push the boat out a bit, I think is the term lol, and make more of the unusual wagon/coaches/loco, like the cranes, tunnelling, TBM's, Tampers as there are several types of those, and the Track work that going on across the Rail Network at this present time, we see some great wagons with conveyer belt system on them as we have such a lot of wagon and loco today that do many different jobs, whether Road/Track vehicles and all the RTC / Network Rail coaches/wagons, although I understand the prices would be sky high. Perhaps one day hey Kev.

Seeing such crane wagons on your layout, certainly brings more of an interest as you don't see many and those I do see are always great to watch.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Kevin

Hope you are keeping on mate along with the other half,,,

Yes, it would be great, I know they are expensive as they are currently, and things are getting more expensive to...

It would just be nice for the manufactures to push the boat out a bit, I think is the term lol, and make more of the unusual wagon/coaches/loco, like the cranes, tunnelling, TBM's, Tampers as there are several types of those, and the Track work that going on across the Rail Network at this present time, we see some great wagons with conveyer belt system on them as we have such a lot of wagon and loco today that do many different jobs, whether Road/Track vehicles and all the RTC / Network Rail coaches/wagons, although I understand the prices would be sky high. Perhaps one day hey Kev.

Seeing such crane wagons on your layout, certainly brings more of an interest as you don't see many and those I do see are always great to watch.

Regards

Jamie

You know Jamie there is so much sickness and illness effecting people I know, you have Kim Jung whats is' name in North Korea and Donald Trump hell bent on blowing us all up, I have lost faith in all our polititians whatever the party they represent, recently I have had to put a new tyre on the car because of bl**dy potholes everywhere - but whenever I look at those cranes it puts a smile on my face, perhaps only briefly, but how do you put a price on that!

Kevin

You know Jamie there is so much sickness and illness effecting people I know, you have Kim Jung whats is' name in North Korea and Donald Trump hell bent on blowing us all up, I have lost faith in all our polititians whatever the party they represent, recently I have had to put a new tyre on the car because of bl**dy potholes everywhere - but whenever I look at those cranes it puts a smile on my face, perhaps only briefly, but how do you put a price on that!

Kevin

Hi Kevin

That's why we turn to Modelling as it's gives us great Joy and satisfaction in doing what we lover doing best and is personal to each one of us! They look great and couldn't agree more.  Its already do its job if it puts a smile on your face, chin up hey, worse things happen at sea, as they say.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 2