Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

I went into Old Barn Hobbies in Aberaeron a week ago and was astounded, they have stacks of new tooling but old Graham Farish stock, a lot of bargains (compared to current prices) I picked up 6x mineral wagons at £6.50 each, there were stacks more at those prices and some locomotives from as little as £42. They don't have a website but I am sure if you call up to enquire on 01545 571634 you might get a bargain! 

13441935_10150641229464981_1149313278_o.

I think that's a bit harsh on MRD.  As far as I can see the discounts they show on their sale pages are based on Bachmann's list prices, with the majority being discounted by 30%.  That still seems like a reasonable deal to me*.  As an example, big jim highlighted the MPVs although he did admit not to have compared to other retailers.  Well, here's a comparison: the MRD sale pages are listing those at £64.99 each - Hattons are showing them at "£77 BARGAIN" and "£79 BARGAIN" (their words, and their emphasis).

At the end of the day, anyone who doesn't like the price being asked is free not to buy the product.  That might be frustrating, but to accuse MRD of misleading pricing just because they've not discounted as much as you hoped seems mean-spirited at best, if not downright malicious.

* I sometimes find it helpful to consider these things the other way round: how happy would I be to have a 30% cut in my pay check?  Simple answer: not very!

In the example I gave, MRD had discounted the product below the "BARGAIN" price that another well-known discounter (or "box shifter" if you prefer).  So once again your accusations against them are poorly-founded.  Other posters on this thread have highlighted other instances where MRD's sale price was the lowest they could find.

Previously you have suggested that MRD had artificially inflated their prices before discounting them, which I demonstrated was untrue by reference to the manufacturer's published RRP.

Please don't expect me to "move on" when you are trying to make excuses for blatant untruths.

I've bought a few things from MRD but buy from others as well so other than being a satisfied customer have no other links to MRD but i think you are being very unfair everything ive looked at for latest releases are 15% of RRP which Bachmann enforce so your comment is wrong in my view and other stuff they have up to 30% off

This thread is meant to be for bargains so i have perhaps distracted people but i thought it was relevant so apologies

Is there something in the water? Please don't think I'm being rude but...

Shut up with the petty squabbles. Ta.

RMWeb does seem to have some angst lately. If something is advertised as a "bargain" or someone is having a sale, it warrants posting here. Whether we think it's actually a bargain or not is irrelevant because we can easily choose to buy or not to buy. Arguments clutter up a very useful thread. l'm guilty of cluttering with this post but hey-ho... I shall beat myself with some birch twigs and then get over it...

• RMweb Gold

Laisdcc nem652 4 function decoders are currently £7.78 with free postage on aliexpress. I've never used them before but bought two to test them out.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/With-Built-In-8-pin-NMRA-NEM652-plug-DCC-LOCO-DECODER-WITH-4-FUNCTION-FOR-MODEL/1199970_2048977153.html

looking at previous RMweb thread regards lais DCC stuff they APPEAR TO BE counterfeit/copy TCS decoders from china (note my bit in bold to avoid legal implications!)

this was linked to from one of the previous threads

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13788&forum_id=10#p248603

(still tempted to try a couple though for my Hornby DVT and voyager lighting)

• RMweb Gold

Laisdcc nem652 4 function decoders are currently £7.78 with free postage on aliexpress. I've never used them before but bought two to test them out.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/With-Built-In-8-pin-NMRA-NEM652-plug-DCC-LOCO-DECODER-WITH-4-FUNCTION-FOR-MODEL/1199970_2048977153.html

That is cheap. I have one in a Bachmann 66 and it works fine so far. Bargain for a 4 function one.

MRD bargains arrived this morning, approx 18 hours after ordering.  Hattons bargains ordered on Thursday, still awaited.  Just an observation from up to date experience.

MRD Bachmann MkIs for substantially under 30 notes, that to me is a contemporary bargain.  As are 8 nicker Sharks from Merseyside.

• RMweb Gold

Here's something novel, a bargain!

If your in the area Trident trains in dagfields, Nantwich have 6 x 2nd hand Bachmann EWS hta bulk hopper wagons

2 weathered at £17 each and 4 Unweathered at £15 each, very nearly bought them myself but went for a 2nd hand rake of 6 coalfish wagons instead

Compared to the current rrp of just short of £40 each they are in my eyes most certainly a bargain!

Here's something novel, a bargain!

If your in the area Trident trains in dagfields, Nantwich have 6 x 2nd hand Bachmann EWS hta bulk hopper wagons

2 weathered at £17 each and 4 Unweathered at £15 each, very nearly bought them myself but went for a 2nd hand rake of 6 coalfish wagons instead

Compared to the current rrp of just short of £40 each they are in my eyes most certainly a bargain!

Smashing - 4 of them duly bagged. Very polite and helpful chap called Richard at Trident Trains.

Thanks Jim

Regards

Chris

Transport Models in Preston has a big sale on.

25% off Hornby, Bachmann & Farish wagons, coaches & buildings

30% off Oxford vehicles

Loads more bargains in store

Is this only 'in store' - can't find any obvious sale category on website?

Invicta has got the OO Gauge BR Blue 73 for £79.99 at the Great Central Event (not online)

Brian

Dapol OO class 73 135 in blue at the same price 79.95 at Scograil in Ipswich but also available on line

http://www.scograil.co.uk/oo-gauge-37-c.asp

Usual disclaimer satisfied customer etc..

Also available as dcc fitted just under a ton and I thought the doc sound version of 73135 in blue is great value at just shy of 160 pounds.

Shame I am not a southern fan, but even I really was tempted.

Dapol OO class 73 135 in blue at the same price 79.95 at Scograil in Ipswich but also available on line

http://www.scograil.co.uk/oo-gauge-37-c.asp

Usual disclaimer satisfied customer etc..

Also available as dcc fitted just under a ton and I thought the doc sound version of 73135 in blue is great value at just shy of 160 pounds.

Shame I am not a southern fan, but even I really was tempted.

The 80 pound price difference between the DCC sound and non-DCC Class 73s pretty much reflects the 74.95 this site is offering Loksound decoiders at. Is 75 notes a bargain price for a sound decoder - I am no expert on these but would like to hear what people think.

Chris

The 80 pound price difference between the DCC sound and non-DCC Class 73s pretty much reflects the 74.95 this site is offering Loksound decoiders at. Is 75 notes a bargain price for a sound decoder - I am no expert on these but would like to hear what people think.

Chris

For me, it would depend on whose sounds were loaded to them.

• RMweb Gold

Those decoder are cheap. A re-blow to my choice of sound supplier is £18, making a total of £93. Still £12 cheaper than buying direct from my choice of sound supplier. Getting it done at a show would mean no postage costs as well.

I've ordered one and got some c rail containers totalling £95.20 which also means free postage.

Thanks for the tipoff.

Archived