The Great RMweb 2FS Build Off

Bryn

I've had this idea in my head for a while now, time to put it into practice.

I know there are a few of you out there with 2FS etched kits stashed away, ready to be built. Some of you are yet to enter the world of soldered construction and others are just busy with other projects.

I've decided to try do an online group workshop based around the Stephen Harris 16T mineral wagon. I will carry out an in depth post every week on a small aspect of construction and then everyone can follow my lead, experts and novices alike. Everyone joining and helping each other online. I've no idea how successful this will be, but I am looking for volunteers to join in and participate. I'm looking to start in early October and break it down into weekly subjects of;

- Body

- Chassis

- Joining the above and sole bars

- Brakes and axle boxes

Who's in?

• RMweb Premium

Sounds great to me, too.

Maybe this will finally get me out of the armchair, and over to the dark side.

As a partwork, it certainly sounds more acheivable than HMS Hood currently being advertised on TV, and a tad cheaper, too.

Regards

Ian

Guest Natalie Graham

Happy to read along, been thinking of 2mm for many years so I will watch from the sidelines if that's ok ?

Are the kits only available to 2mm Association members? If not this would be a perfect opportuinty for people such as yourself to give 2mmFS a try.

Now, how do I justify a 16T steel mineral on the LNWR in the 1890's?

Are the kits only available to 2mm Association members? If not this would be a perfect opportuinty for people such as yourself to give 2mmFS a try.

Stephen will sell them to anyone, but you'll need top hat bearings and wheels from the 2mm Scale Assoc. shops, which are members only. However, I'm sure with the small quantities involved, some of the 2mm modellers on here would be willing to sell some on at cost price.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

This sounds like a cracking idea. The sensible thing would seem to be to start this after the AGM which this year is being held in conjunction with the Farnham clubs show in Aldershot on the 8/9 october - see http://www.farnhammrc.org.uk/

This will give members a chance to pick up some bits and pieces from the central shop, those who are not members the chance to sign up (free entry to the exhibition for members on the saturday), and also the chance to see some top 2FS modelling in the form of layouts and competition entries as well as all sorts of other attractions at the show.

I'm sure Bryn or Pixie could arrange to have some of Stephen Harris's kits available.

Hope to see you all there

Jerry

The sensible thing would seem to be to start this after the AGM which this year is being held in conjunction with the Farnham clubs show in Aldershot on the 8/9 october - see http://www.farnhammrc.org.uk/

Aha! A 2mm event on my door step, at last Bryn can claim some of the kip space vouchers I owe him (Are you free old bean?). Perhaps an evening social is in order?

I'm sure Bryn or Pixie could arrange to have some of Stephen Harris's kits available.

I owe Stephen a phone call so I'll mention it to him. I haven't forgotten those who PMed me before, I'll try to do it all in one go.

Pix

I really ought to have a go at this too... but having moved house a couple of weeks ago my workbench is still non-existent. Not sure I'll make the AGM either but I do think postponing the start of this until after it is a good idea. So, I might be able to have a go, there again, I might not. Better put me down as a definite maybe....

Brief Round Up

Start Date - Mid to late October

Kits - We will be building either kit A or B, from the Stephen Harris 16T mineral range. I suggest you get your orders in sharpish http://www.2mm.org.u...arris/index.htm

Additional parts - 0.3mm brass or nickle wire, top hat bearings from the 2mm Scale Association shop (2-041), 6mm wheels on 12.25mm length axles, vacuum cylinders and buffers of choice.

You don't need to be a member to buy the kits, but you do need to be one for axles and bearings. Those who are testing the water can post up here and I'm sure one of use can post you the required parts (for a reasonable price).

So far we have a growing number of participants, please shout up if you want to get involved!

• RMweb Gold

HI,

may as well be in on this one, subject to work and a few other commitments, namely a layout that needs to be done by the end of June now :O :mosking:

so my contributions may be a bit sporadic to say the least

cheers

Simon

ps another job to do tomorrow and place an order :scratchhead:

Archived