Adventures in kit and scratch-building.

sej

Simon,

Glad you have got another bit on, sometimes it just takes a wee bit time off the job for a problem to resolve itself.

Thinking further on my stalled projects, photo below is only some!, I can think of a number of reasons for the holdup.

Firstly. The next bit of the project is a bit tedious or time consuming. The 3 locos in the photo need chimneys and other boiler mountings which needs me to set up for fly cutting and turning. I know too that it will be the best part of an afternoon to make one chimney. I'm not in the mood or cannot find the time.

Secondly. Something else has taken my interest. At the moment it is an etched kit which I have been asked to test build.

Thirdly. Don't have the correct material or tool for the job. Bit of a cop out that one as there are always alternatives.

Fourthly. Lack of information, common one this as I often spend hours looking for a picture which shows up a detail. I model pre-group so photos are thin on the ground and usually 3/4front which doesn't help in a lot of instances.

Fifthly. I'm not disciplined enough! I think this is the real reason if I'm honest.

However, I have the tenders for the 3 engines in the photo all ready finished and waiting. I hate building tenders and always get them out the way first!

post-6089-0-69512300-1437216662_thumb.jpg

Ian.

More a Real Ale man!

• Like 4

Cheers Ian; a fine selection of locomotives, thankyou. And some more interesting thoughts about finishing stuff. I'm going to need a checklist on the wall of my workshop.

I'd be very interested in seeing a step-by-step guide on making boiler fittings the next time you're in the mood! I've recently aquired a small (tiny) lathe and may eventually get around to making something on it but I'm not sure where to start (that'll be a matter of confidence...).

Simon

Hi folks:

post-7598-0-15922900-1437659630_thumb.jpg

A question: I know the thing on the right is a motor 'cos I've seen those before. I'm pretty sure the little blue thingy on the left is the "dropper resistor" because it was in the packet. The instructions say "the resister must be connected in series to the motor and away from direct contact with the motor".

Could anyone tell me in very simple words and or pictures, how to connect the two without the sudden explosion of either?

Cheers

Simon

Marvellous Ian; thanks very much indeed. While I gird my loins for battle with the resistor, here's how the rolling chassis is taking shape.

post-7598-0-58853500-1437666383_thumb.jpg

I've used a spare Farish pony truck with the correct(ish) size wheels fitted. The cylinders have been filed to a more cylindrical shape for added clearance and the cross-head doctored to make it as single barred as Adams intended.

post-7598-0-06415600-1437666411_thumb.jpg

The rear truck is a simple bar and tube. Goodness me is N gauge fiddly...

The chassis needs some cosmetic work and then...the motor. Exciting!

• Like 6

Right, ha ha! Resistor mounted on little block of PCB and various wires attached in true Frankenstein manner. Motor stuck down with araldite, and it works. Hurrah!

post-7598-0-68845000-1437757147_thumb.jpg

Some fiddling and fine tuning to go, but getting there!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Simon. The little Lawton 8mm motor is superb, it's standard issue on all my small locos. Must admit I never bother with the resistor, I' don't think you need it unless you stall it and keep pumping current through it. John Greenwood and I have over a dozen of them in various locos, both DC and DCC and haven't managed to blow one up yet!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. It is a rather nice little piece of kit.How do you attach your motors to the chassis and what sort of gearing do you use?

Regards

Simon

• RMweb Gold

If I can fit some sort of motor mount in I will do that, but more often than not I will simply glue them in. A little spot of super glue is usually sufficient and is easily broken should I need to take the motor out.

As for gears, I aim for somewhere around 50 or 60:1 with the little Lawton motors. An Association 30:1 plus the 14 and 28 tooth 100DP gears second stage is a favourite arrangement. For bigger passenger locos, such as the MR 3P currently on my Bath Queensquare thread, I find a single stage 38:1 is sufficient

Jerry

Thanks very much Jerry, I'll see how the araldite does. How critical do you find the gear meshing by the way?

I asked a question about colour matches for LMS crimson lake on the Painting bit of the Skill Centre and got somre very useful replies, thanks to Pete Harvey for one. I also discovered a thread by Mythocentric about real life colour matches where he posts a link to a web-site that does it for you. Brilliant. Here it is. http://scalemodeldb.com

Some while back, EKR mentioned 2mm lamp irons and here they are!

post-7598-0-77813500-1438018139_thumb.jpg

Tiny. The other thing is a Westinghouse brake pump built up from wire and tube. That'll go on after painting and lining.

post-7598-0-26852000-1438018163_thumb.jpg

I filed up some brackets for the destination board and managed to solder them in place along with the first lamp-iron, which will do for now. This sort if thing doesn't improve hang-overs...

• Like 4

Hi Rich, the steps are fantastic little castings from NBrass, I adapted them slightly for the Tilbury. I've never thought about filing steps from solid, it's a really good idea, they can be very fiddly to solder up.

Cheers

Simon

Here's the Tilbury cleaned up (Shiny Sinks and lashings of hot water).

post-7598-0-60301300-1438337258_thumb.jpg

THe paint studio.

post-7598-0-48169100-1438337287_thumb.jpg

Halfords red (orangy red) primer.

post-7598-0-43223400-1438337456_thumb.jpg

post-7598-0-94279500-1438337487_thumb.jpg

Some attention to the chassis.

post-7598-0-84284200-1438337333_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Pete, afraid my only rolling road at the moment is for 7mm scale so a wee bit too big. I might have a look at Railwells tomorrow...

Here's the paint job so far...

post-7598-0-81036400-1439069038_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some up-dates! After Pete's suggestion of the need for a rolling road, I eventually bought a do-it-yourself RR kit from NBrass locos. And very nice it is too. It has the great advantage of being adjustable for lots of different gauges around the 2mm to 4mm scales.

Here it is helping the N gauge Tilbury tank run in its new scratch-built single slide bars.

post-7598-0-86100200-1446121736_thumb.jpg

Later on it will come in handy for running in this ScaleFour G6 tank loco. Once I've finished fiddling with the chassis.

post-7598-0-47314200-1446121870_thumb.jpg

post-7598-0-66620200-1446121905_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Here's a small side project; I've been asked to scratch-build a tender for an MSWJR 2-6-0 as originally running on that railway. It's in P4, with Gibson sprung horn-blocks and split axle pick-up.

I started by building an inside frame chassis to take the horn-blocks.

To chassis sides are joined by gapped PCB spacers. I made up some temporary spacers from threaded rod. The PCB was soldered in with the frames resting on thin card to slightly raise them. The tender floor will rest on these spacers and so be insulated from the sides.

post-7598-0-67843800-1452631937_thumb.jpg

post-7598-0-24030700-1452632036_thumb.jpg

The wheels have split axles held in paxolin muffs turned for me by Stephen. The Gibson wheels are shorted to the axle halves using etched collars.

post-7598-0-63748900-1452632076_thumb.jpg

The inside frames are just hidden by the cosmetic outside frames which were cut and rivetted from nickel silver.

post-7598-0-34119200-1452632125_thumb.jpg

• Like 5