Blackpool Tramway: in Transition

PLD

As is known by most, the Blackpool Tramway; the last surviving traditional tramway in Britain is going through a transition to become a modern light-rail system with upgraded infrastructure and new easy-access articulated 'supertrams'.

Just one month now remains for the traditional vehicles before the system shuts down at the end of the illuminations, to re-open next Easter in the new form.

Sadly, this last season has seen the tramway go out with a whimper. After the highlight of the 125th anniversary events last year, various issues have restricted operation to half the total route length (Pleasure Beach to Little Bispham) and a much reduced fleet operating a reduce service.

Looking to the future a fleet of 16 Bombardier Flexity2 trams will operate the core service and ten of the 1930s Double Deck 'Balloon' Trams are to be retained (in modified form) to operate supplementary services to the supertrams. A small heritage fleet of unmodified cars will also be retained. Of the rest of the present fleet, some have already left and the majority are reserved for intending purchasers.

This thread isn't intended as a debate on the merits or otherwise of the upgrade (so please don't) but a tribute to a survivor and 126 years of history...

Firstly the Departures so far:

Of the 78 trams in the fleet in 2006 when the transition process started, to date only two trams have been dismantled, while 16 have left for new homes and two others have been transferred to the local preservation group the ‘Lancastrian Transport Trust’ but remain in service as ‘heritage’ vehicles.

First to go was Brush Railcoach 636. In November 2006 this car was sold to Stored Energy Technology, Derby for use as a test vehicle for new Motors/ Control Equipment. It returned to Blackpool for test running between February and June 2009. Now back in Derby, it’s future is uncertain.

post-491-0-62022300-1318192615_thumb.jpg

Second to leave in June 2007 was 735 the Illuminated Hovertram. Sold to the Transport Preservation Trust, Beith for Static display.

post-491-0-49467600-1318192798_thumb.jpg

An unusual departure was next. In November 2008 Railgrinder 752 left for Heaton Park. Manchester where it proved to be a very useful vehicle during the construction of their extension over the last two years.

post-491-0-19906100-1318193440_thumb.jpg

October 2008 saw the sale of English Electric Railcoach 679 to the LTT with a plan to return it to it’s original streamlined profile. This was intended to be ready for the 125th Anniversary in September 2010, but is to date still incomplete…

post-491-0-48519400-1318193925_thumb.jpg

2009 saw the sale of two more Brush Railcoaches. 634 was purchased privately by an individual enthusiast and departed in November for the Rushden Transport Museum. Sister 632 was transferred to the LTT and subsequently was repainted and returned to service as a heritage vehicle in May 2010.

post-491-0-19223100-1318193624_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-97522300-1318193766_thumb.jpg

January 2010 saw English Electric Balloon 715 also pass to the LTT but remain operational in the same way as 632.

post-491-0-57749500-1318194144_thumb.jpg

After this the rate of departures started to quicken.

March 2010 saw Balloon 712 leave for Crich where it now forms part of the new Exhibition Hall display (with it’s original number 249 and in a livery it only ever actually carried in original open top form)

post-491-0-51965600-1318195141_thumb.jpg

The next two departures in May 2010 were Balloon 702 and Brush 623. Both of these are ultimately destined for the Heaton Park Tramway but initially were placed on Display at the now closed ‘Museum of Museums’ at Trafford Park.

post-491-0-24017200-1318195300_thumb.jpg

This was closely followed in June by another car for Heaton Park. This time the Replica Vanguard Car 619 went direct to the Park. Initially this was in exchange for Manchester 765 visiting Blackpool for the 125th Anniversary but is now considered as being on Indefinite Loan and has been repainted and renumbered by the HPT.

post-491-0-79767500-1318195472_thumb.jpg

Also in June Balloon 716 left. Purchased by Ptarmigan Transport Solutions of Perth. Their intentions for the car has never been revealed but one line of business is providing vehicles for film and television use…

post-491-0-31453800-1318195641_thumb.jpg

A surprise followed in August 2010 when the first refurbished car (and therefore not thought available for early release) left. Brush 626 was purchased by Mersey Travel in connection with their intended (but still not completed) takeover of operation of the Birkenhead Heritage Tramway. To date 626 hasn’t carried ay passengers at its new home and remains locked away in the Pacific Road Arts Centre.

post-491-0-00022100-1318195962_thumb.jpg

September 2010 saw another two departures. Firstly Brush railcoach 622 was sold for spares to the LTT and was moved to their storage facility on a Blackpool industrial estate.

post-491-0-28443300-1318196141_thumb.jpg

The following day the same low loaded was used to move Balloon 703 by now also owned by the LTT. Painted in pseudo-Sunderland livery, it has been loaned to the Beamish Open Air Musuem but has yet to carry passengers there…

post-491-0-71511500-1318196250_thumb.jpg

So far 2011 has seen just three departures.

Two of those are trams which were on loan to Blackpool Transport.

Sheffield ‘Roberts’ Car 513 actually owned by Beamish, left in February for further loan to the East Anglia Transport Museum where it is now in their service fleet, and Stockport 5 left in August, another one for Heaton Park.

post-491-0-20966600-1318196405_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-16829000-1318196665_thumb.jpg

Finally Balloon 710 purchased by a new group the ‘Friends of Fleetwood Trams’ left for storage in Fleetwood, en-route becoming the only tram to appear at this year’s Fleetwood Transport Festival (a.k.a. ‘Tram Sunday’)

post-491-0-92118900-1318196853_thumb.jpg

Finally for now, the two cars I mentioned as being dismantled.

Twin car Motor 677 was dismantled in summer 2007 to provide parts needed for the restoration of the illuminated Western Train (including half the body!). Trailer 687 remains in store but is unlikely to run again.

post-491-0-20748200-1318200529_thumb.jpg

Then in late 2009 Balloon 722 was dismantled as a result of accident damage sustained almost two years earlier which left it unserviceable and unsalable.

post-491-0-58191300-1318200330_thumb.jpg

I’m pleased to say that it currently looks like few if any others will meet the same fate, and at least the sacrifice of these two cars yielded a stock of useful parts for their sisters…

Thanks for this, I had no idea of the fate of the blackpool flett until now (or the scale or the Blackpool tram regeneration project).

I am gutted I managed to miss going on the Blackpool trams, but since I live far down south I have my excuses.

Thanks again for this!

m0rris

Just out of interest have any of the OMO (one man operation) trams survived?

If you mean the 13 1970s converted EE Railcoaches; yes, two survive. No 5 is in the TMS store at Clay Cross, while No 8 is owned by the LTT and was cosmetically restored and made (just about) serviceable for the 125th Anniversary events last year but now languishes out of use in the back of Rigby Road depot… In addition the frames of No 7 formed the basis of the Replica Vanguard 619 (now Heaton Park 7 pictured above)

Of the later OPO cars, both the late 1970s Double Decker OPO conversions remain in service (and both have potential buyers). All eight of the 1980s Centenary new build OPO cars also remain in service and at least 3, possibly up to 6 of those seem likely to survive in one form or another.

Moving on to the cars that will stay in the active Blackpool fleet after this year. These can be split into two groups: the Supplementary Fleet of modified Balloons, and the Heritage Fleet.

Firstly the modified Balloons. These are cars that over the last few years have had a substantial amount of modernisation work. No two are quite the same in the scope of work done, but all feature either substantially rebuilt or completely replaced under-frames, new steel body end frames (4 to a different flatter profile unofficially know as the Millennium class), low voltage electrical systems and refurbished interiors. Over the last 18 months seven of these have also been fitted with widened centre platforms with powered doors to make them compatible with the new platforms for the supertrams gaining them various nicknames including ‘Tubbies’, ‘Weebles’ and ‘Wide-boys’.

Two more are due to be fitted with power doors over the coming winter and a tenth car is intended which could be either of two which are currently listed as retained but haven’t had quite so extensive work as the others.

Some observers have expressed doubts about how often these will be used, but I think they will be out most weekends and during the illuminations for one important reason: the revenue from their advertising liveries!

The seven widened cars are:

post-491-0-30872800-1318508243_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-69140100-1318508253_thumb.jpg

713&720

post-491-0-31305000-1318508276_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-10030300-1318508285_thumb.jpg

700 Many observers were shocked at the prototype balloon’s inclusion, but in reality despite it’s heritage appearance, after it’s mid 90s rebuild little remained from the 1930s (currently in plain white so this is how most would like to remember her!)

post-491-0-87258300-1318508215_thumb.jpg

Over winter these will be joined by:

post-491-0-50620300-1318508265_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-01464800-1318508294_thumb.jpg

and the two other candidates for wide doors are:

701 (doesn’t have low voltage systems)

post-491-0-50956300-1318508226_thumb.jpg

723 (underframe was only patched)

post-491-0-67702800-1318508208_thumb.jpg

The Heritage fleet will consist of various trams which cosmetically will be minimally modified though all will get low-voltage electrical systems necessary for operating point and traffic light transmitters. These are likely to be seen less, use being mainly confined to special events, private hires and illuminations tours.

Standard 147

post-491-0-65492700-1318508856_thumb.jpg

Boat 600 (plus a.n. other boat which will be either 602 or 604)

post-491-0-13540500-1318508869_thumb.jpg

Coronation 660

post-491-0-63606800-1318508882_thumb.jpg

Open-top Balloon 706 ‘Princess Alice’

post-491-0-96453300-1318508897_thumb.jpg

Balloon 717

post-491-0-38778400-1318508917_thumb.jpg

Plus the illuminated trio

733+734 The ‘Western Train’

post-491-0-79305800-1318508936_thumb.jpg

736 ‘The Frigate / HMS Blackpool’

post-491-0-67024300-1318508946_thumb.jpg

737 The ‘Fisherman’s Friend Trawler’

post-491-0-66785300-1318508955_thumb.jpg

Finally Bolton 66, on loan to Blackpool Transport since the early 1980s is expected to remain a few more years…

post-491-0-02975800-1318508838_thumb.jpg

It really is about time this tramway was brought up to modern standards, yet it's good to see that the importance of the heritage trams is being recognised, as they are a major attraction in themselves. Blackpool is setting a wonderful example by not letting modernisation, progress and legislation mean an end to heritage operations. I suppose this is equivalent to the pioneers of main line steam in the 1970s. Will we see heritage trams visiting the Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham or Croydon systems? Wishful thinking perhaps, but Blackpool has demonstrated that it need not be impossible!

Thanks for posting these updates - as an occasional visitor to the Blackpool system since I was a little lad, it's nice to see what's going on, and with such fantastic photos too.

Keem 'em coming!

Cheers,

Will

Yes thanks for the update. I had hoped more of the old fleet would have survived , like a railcoach , which along with the balloons to me are the iconic Blackpool Tram. But it is good to see investment and I understand if all goes well further extensions could be planned (to Blackpool North station and maybe the Airport or even St Annes).

What about the Centenary Trams ? I know these weren't the success hoped for but I thought they may have survived to do the Cleveleys route along with the Balloons

• RMweb Gold

I only ever had one visit to Blackpool when I spent five days there three years ago.

It is good to see the heritage being preserved, and a lot of examples also going to other museums rather than the scrap yard.

Excellent pictures - many thanks for the updates.

Perhaps I'll get to Blackpool again to see the new system.

Fantastic pictures and story. Thanks. Delighted to see the Stockport tram as I travelled on these from Gee Cross down to Hyde market until I was five. Also delighted all is not lost and some of the 1930s trams will survive. As for the modernists, they wreck everything they lay their vinyl hands on. I wont even mention the stupid looking doors! :swoon:

Last time I was there was in 1972 when I took plenty of cine. The 'Coronation' cars were being cut in half at the time and taken away on lorries so I was suprised to see one had survived. One day I will get my head around Youtube and upload some film.

I'll add my thanks to PLD for this useful summary - I sesarched out bits and pieces on other sites but couldn't find a definitive list of what is staying and going.

The heritage fleet mostly seems to have been chosen for carrying capacity as well as historic interest, and I guess the Centenary cars don't qualify on either ground. I'm a little surprised that the heritage fleet either can be or has to be rewired for continued operation. I wonder if they have thought about running unmodified heritage cars, perhaps using a bolt-on (not Bolton!) transponder system powered by a battery or operating the relevant signals manually from the trackside during heritage events? Without wanting to do down our several excellent working tram museums, Blackpool-Fleetwood was probably the only place these vehicles had any prospect of getting a good long run and it seems we will never again see a Dreadnought in the wild.

Capacity is probably also the reason the supplementary fleet is based on Balloons, as these are intended to soak up the crowds at the busiest times when the new fleet can't cope. That and the fact they make large billboards!

Thanks all for the kind comments. :thankyou:

It really is about time this tramway was brought up to modern standards, yet it's good to see that the importance of the heritage trams is being recognised, as they are a major attraction in themselves.
I did say this wasn't the place to debate the ins-and-outs of the upgrade, but my take is that the intended mixed operation is the only reasonable solution. Rail Vehicle Accessibility Regulations (RVAR) will effectively outlaw the current fleet for operation of the core service from 2020 so for the basic year-round service it was a choice of modernise or close down. Thanks to a lot of enthusiast pressure and an interested MD (the previous one not the current one sadly) and Operations Director a workable compromise solution does appear to have been devised.

I had hoped more of the old fleet would have survived , like a railcoach , which along with the balloons to me are the iconic Blackpool Tram.
Watch out for the next instalment... So far we have only covered the cars definitely retained and the escapees to date. Many others are ‘reserved’ for intending purchasers, and while I’m not convinced all will survive I’m sure there will be more preserved.

...if all goes well further extensions could be planned (to Blackpool North station and maybe the Airport or even St Annes).
I think that very much depends on the financial success (or otherwise) of the current route post upgrade... When Talbot Square (North Pier) was re-laid last winter, the points were included for the junction for the North Station spur: that I think will be built IF the proposed ‘Talbot Gateway retail/leisure development ever happens with a substantial contribution to costs from the developers. St Annes I’m unconvinced about unless it is with Tram-Trains all the way to Kirkham and/or Preston.

What about the Centenary Trams ? I know these weren't the success hoped for but I thought they may have survived to do the Cleveleys route along with the Balloons
You won’t get any argument against the unfairly maligned Centenaries from me! It is true the eight cars between them account for around 50% of all failures in service, but they also operate around 65% of total annual mileage! It is actually reckoned that in recent years in terms of miles per breakdown the Twin sets are bottom of the league…

Again watch for the next instalment - I think between 3 and 6 of the 8 will survive… ;)

Delighted to see the Stockport tram as I travelled on these from Gee Cross down to Hyde market until I was five.
Surely not in original open-top condition though?? :P Seriously though, Heaton Park is exactly the right place for 5 and she is already proving to be a boon to their operation, witnessed by full and standing loads despite a three car service on the day of the Trans-Lancs rally.

As for the modernists, they wreck everything they lay their vinyl hands on. I wont even mention the stupid looking doors! :swoon:
Personally I think some adverts look spectacular whereas others - the less said the better… Actually some of them do help to hide the bulging doors! :O

The 'Coronation' cars were being cut in half at the time and taken away on lorries so I was suprised to see one had survived.
In fact 3 Coronations still exist: 660 was retained by BT, and 304 (ex 641) and 663 are both now owned by the LTT. 304 was subject of an episode of the Channel 4 ‘Salvage Squad’ programme a few years ago and is currently stored at Rigby Road (in operational condition but has not been used this year).

I'm a little surprised that the heritage fleet either can be or has to be rewired for continued operation. I wonder if they have thought about running unmodified heritage cars, perhaps using a bolt-on (not Bolton!) transponder system powered by a battery or operating the relevant signals manually from the trackside during heritage events?
It was suggested but quoted costs were ridiculous - 1 set costing something like 4 times the price of a permanently fitted set up!

Without wanting to do down our several excellent working tram museums, Blackpool-Fleetwood was probably the only place these vehicles had any prospect of getting a good long run and it seems we will never again see a Dreadnought in the wild.
Well Heaton Park have ambitious expansion plans and if Mersey Travel ever finalise their takeover of Birkenhead there will be much expansion there also. As for the Dreadnaught - just to see it again at all would be nice!! (currently out-of-site, out-of-mind at Clay Cross :cry:)

Capacity is probably also the reason the supplementary fleet is based on Balloons, as these are intended to soak up the crowds at the busiest times when the new fleet can't cope. That and the fact they make large billboards!
Right on all counts!

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on; there are a significant number of trams which remain at Rigby Road Depot which are ‘reserved’ for purchasers. Mostly these are where the purchaser has paid over a deposit but as yet doesn’t have alternative storage arranged for the car (various rumours circulate about deadlines to move these cars ranging from 30 November or 31 December 2011 to December 2012), plus there are a few which are still in service so not yet available to move.

First, as you would perhaps hope/expect, the Tramway Museum Society (Crich) intend to take a number of cars of different types into their collection. The final number of cars and when is very dependent on extra depot buildings being erected for which there is currently an appeal running.

In addition to Balloon 712 already in the Exhibition Hall at Crich (post #3 above), the TMS have reserved:

Open ‘Boat’ car 607.

Having not run since summer 2004, 607 is now in the workshop at Rigby Road undergoing overhaul sponsored by the TMS and the Fylde Tramway Society and is anticipated to enter service at Crich at Easter next year.

post-491-0-90735700-1319549267_thumb.jpg

Refurbished Brush car 630 and Centenary 648.

648 is sometimes wrongly claimed to be the ‘last conventional British tram’ when infact it is the second oldest of the 8 Centenaries being the car originally mounted on experimental GEC trucks for comparison with 641. The cynics will suggest that Crich really only need 630 to tow 648 back to depot when it fails… (Original condition 635 has been at Crich for a number of years).

post-491-0-68539800-1319549275_thumb.jpg

Twin Car set 672+682.

Generally considered to be in best condition of the Twins, and one of two used in service this year.

post-491-0-23231200-1319549286_thumb.jpg

Jubilee 762.

Regarded as either a big ugly monster or the most versatile tram ever, 762 which was rebuilt in 1982 from Balloon 714, is the ultimate development of the British Double Deck Tram.

post-491-0-73385800-1319549261_thumb.jpg

Local Preservation Group the Lancastrian Transport Trust, as noted above already have several trams in off site storage plus two running as ‘heritage’ cars on the Tramway. They intend to add to their collection with:

Open ‘Boat’ car 605.

A regular in service up to 2009.

post-491-0-39575700-1319549410_thumb.jpg

Brush Railcoach 259.

Formerly 624 in the passenger fleet, 259 has been used as a permanent way stores/gang car since 1971. As such it didn’t receive many of the modifications applied to other Brush cars and retains more original features such as sliding doors and twin destination screens but the interior of one saloon was completely stripped out.

post-491-0-40985400-1319549400_thumb.jpg

Brush 637:

This will be their 4th Brush car (622/632/259) so it is widely suspected that either 637 or 622 will eventually be sacrificed and stripped for spares for the others…

post-491-0-19233400-1319549415_thumb.jpg

Twin Car set 676+686.

Set 6 hasn’t run since 2004 but was chosen because 676 was the prototype towing car (it’s trailer at that time being a temporarily de-motored towing car 675 before the new lighter weight trailers were ready).

post-491-0-92634500-1319549391_thumb.jpg

Balloon 704.

Last used in 2004 because of poor structural condition and robbed of parts for its sisters, 704 isn’t an obvious preservation candidate but it is understood that a substantial bequest was made conditional on being used to save this specific car…

post-491-0-12187100-1319552959_thumb.jpg

The next group collecting Blackpool Cars is the Heaton Park Tramway, who have two more cars reserved to add to their two in service and two in store (plus works car 752). Like the Crich destined cars these are dependent on new depot space being built.

These are:

English Electric Railcoach 680. Seen here part way through repaint into original plain cream livery, it is expected to be the next car to move to the park. Partly refurbished in the early 1990s, this will make a good winter car for the park and there is also talk of adaptations for wheelchair access.

post-491-0-23829000-1319554285_thumb.jpg

Balloon 708. Not used in passenger service since 2004 but used as a snow plough car twice since. In rather tatty condition but thought to be mechanically and structurally sound.

post-491-0-54990400-1319554289_thumb.jpg

The ‘Friends of Fleetwood Trams’ is a new group set up by local enthusiasts with the intention of establishing a new museum in Fleetwood. As well as Balloon 710 (post #3) already in store in Fleetwood they have purchased four other cars

Brush Railcoach 627: Most appropriate to the Fleetwoood area as it was the last car to operate the full length of the former Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad from Blackpool North Station to Fleetwood via Dickson Road then in 2009 was also the last tram to leave Fleetwood and travel over the street section prior to the upgrade.

post-491-0-92537200-1319554278.jpg

Centenary 646: The first of the class rebuilt with squarer ends.

post-491-0-16405600-1319554371_thumb.jpg

English Electric 678: rumoured but never confirmed to benefit from a donation from the local radio station whose advert it carried from 2004 to withdrawal in 2007.

post-491-0-13182700-1319554380_thumb.jpg

And have launched an appeal for funds to add three more to their collection.

Brush Railcoach 621. The first of the type.

post-491-0-53518500-1319554357_thumb.jpg

Centenary 641. another pioneer of it’s class. Also the subject of a specific appeal among local football fans in view of it’s current livery/branding.

post-491-0-98276000-1319554364_thumb.jpg

Jubilee 761.

The first of the double deck O-P-O rebuilds.

post-491-0-87247700-1319554353_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update. Great pictures! Just hope some of the trams do get preserved . I know there are good intentions , but quite often they fall through. I like the Orange Livery on the last two pics.

If so many trams are going, and the new ones are at the new depot at Starr Gate , will Rigby Road be eventually closed down?

Thanks for the update. Great pictures! Just hope some of the trams do get preserved . I know there are good intentions , but quite often they fall through. I like the Orange Livery on the last two pics.

If so many trams are going, and the new ones are at the new depot at Starr Gate , will Rigby Road be eventually closed down?

There isn't sufficient room at Starr Gate to house all the cars to be retained as the Supplementary and Heritage Fleets, so in the medium term Rigby Road will remain in use as a running shed but heavy maintenance will probably be done at Starr Gate with the RR Electrical and Machine shops closing. (though SG does not have a paint shop so that task may still share the Rigby Road shop with the bus fleet).

In the longer term, the whole Rigby Road complex must be a prime development site, but that would require a new site for the buses and (assuming the upgrade and mixed Supertram/heritage service to be a success) a new ‘heritage’ depot connected to the tramway.

The orange liveries of 641 and 761 are purely coincidental and due to (different) Advertisers requirements… :sungum:

Hi

I thought the transfer of 762 to Crich had fallen through due to space constraints also their is an article on tramways monthly website to say that the LTT are struggling to find space to house their trams so some sales may fall through. Blackpool transport want the sold trams out by the end of november as it seems they want to fill in the pits at rigby road for a bus garage I think 6 tracks will be left for trams.

mark

I thought the transfer of 762 to Crich had fallen through due to space constraints
Last I heard (from a certain rather vocal Crich Volunteer) was that 762 was back on. Current plan is that the TMS will take all the cars they have reserved, but not necessarily all will go direct to Crich...

also their is an article on tramways monthly website to say that the LTT are struggling to find space to house their trams so some sales may fall through. Blackpool transport want the sold trams out by the end of november as it seems they want to fill in the pits at rigby road for a bus garage I think 6 tracks will be left for trams.

My understanding is roads 1 - 6 will be taken out of use mainly due to the state of the track fan (i.e. 6 to go rather than 6 to remain) The space isn’t needed for buses - that is just an excuse - the bus fleet is around 20 vehicles fewer than it was a year ago!

As for what is going on with the LTT, I don’t know for sure, but there seems to be an element of ‘scaremongering’ to put pressure on Blackpool Transport and/or the Council in their latest press release. Unfortunately there does seem to be some ongoing friction between the LTT and BT. The LTT's credibility with BT and with some enthusiasts does seem to have taken a hit after none of the three trams they promised for the 125th anniversary (8/279/143) were ready on time. It was said then by several people (including some of their own members) that they had been over ambitious trying to have three cars ready, and maybe now they have again 'bitten off more than they can chew' with the number of cars they have... No other purchasers are complaining to the media so presumably they either have secured alternative homes for their cars or have agreement with BT for them to stay beyond November (I know the latter is the case for at least three cars).

Paul

To finish off the 'Reserved' cars; there are a few cars which have been reserved by private individuals or are listed as 'Reserved' but the purchasers haven't been publicly identified. It is widely believed that these include another 2 or 3 cars reserved by Mersey Travel in connection with their on-off-on-off takeover of the Birkenhead tramway, but how many and which cars has never been officially revealed.

Whether any or all or these cars will be preserved is still to be seen, but for now there is hope…

Brush Railcoach 625: purchaser unknown.

post-491-0-21484500-1319632421_thumb.jpg

Centenary 644: Reserved by Farmer Parrs Animal World of Fleetwood (the current advertisers on the car) presumably to add to their museum which currently includes the likes of tractors, farm machinery and a road-roller.

post-491-0-47108800-1319632426_thumb.jpg

Centenary 647: The true ‘last conventional British tram’ and surely the most deserving of its class. (purchaser unknown)

post-491-0-37815700-1319632431_thumb.jpg

Twin Car Set 673+683: Purchased by a known individual and understood to have been offered on loan to a heritage tramway.

post-491-0-38085300-1319632436_thumb.jpg

Twin Car Set 674+684: Purchased by a known consortium of individuals and believed to be destined initially for storage at a heritage railway site.

post-491-0-46159600-1319632439_thumb.jpg

Twin Car Set 675+685: purchaser unknown.

post-491-0-22139500-1319632444_thumb.jpg

Balloons 721 and 726: both purchaser unknown.

post-491-0-08874800-1319632454_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-19352800-1319632418_thumb.jpg

All good stuff indeed. There's been some reports on the upgrade in RouteOne bus trade magazine in the last month or so. I don't have a link, but back issues are available to read online.

• 2 weeks later...

So with just a few days left to go, we look to the future…

From April next year (Monday 2nd is the assumed but as yet unconfirmed start date) the core Starr Gate to Fleetwood service will be operated by new low-floor articulated trams. These are to be housed separately to the remains of the current fleet in brand new depot and workshop complex at Starr Gate (the southern terminus of the system)

post-491-0-53472500-1320397787_thumb.jpg

To the left are 7 stabling roads for 2 cars each; in the centre offices and a control room and to the right a three road maintenance area.

post-491-0-64238000-1320397893_thumb.jpg

At night it is lit in a wave effect which I suppose fits in with it being at the start of the illuminations…

The trams are being constructed by Bombardier at their Bautzen (Germany) & Vienna (Austria) factories. They are the first examples built of their new Flexity 2 type and consist of 5 sections with a powered 4-wheel bogie under each end section and an unpowered bogie under the centre section. Sections 2 & 4 are suspended between the others.

So far however only one car is in Blackpool. Numbered 001, it arrived via Hull in the early hours of Monday 29 August. It featured in a major launch ceremony at the new depot on 8th September and has seen limited test running on the currently closed section between Starr Gate and Pleasure Beach, plus one early morning trip to Bispham for clearance checks

There are several interesting video clips found which show the car to good effect.

And two good sets of photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60547725@N08/

http://blackpooltrams.com

It will be interesting to ride the new cars next year (if only for the novelty) and to see how the intended mixed service with the old cars works out in practice…

Archived