Farish Class 411 / 4CEP

TomE

• RMweb Premium

Just saw the EMU on Hattons website, looks good ... feel tempted to buy one.

Is there a spare interchangeable headcode box included in its bag of bits? The headcode already mounted on the Farish unit numbered 7113 is "50" and I know the spare on Bachmann's identical OO version is numbered "8".

Just saw the EMU on Hattons website, looks good ... feel tempted to buy one.

Is there a spare interchangeable headcode box included in its bag of bits? The headcode already mounted on the Farish unit numbered 7113 is "50" and I know the spare on Bachmann's identical OO version is numbered "8".

I reeceived mine late Friday and have spent the day at the Warley show have had a brief look at it. No extra headcodes in the extras pack, which contains a speaker housing, 6 x short couplers, 6 x raised dummpy couplers and 2 x drop head dummy couplers.

One perculiarity is that the lighting is the same in either direction..i.e. the head codes lights up white and the dummy has a red panel. This is the same even if the dummy is driving forwards. I spoke to someone at the Bachmann stand today who confirmed this is not a fault...

R E

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for finding out what's provided in the extra bits bag, it would have been fiddly to change the headcodes over.

I'm interested in seeing how it performs on the track, if it's OK, then I'll put it on my wants list.

As I grew up with third rail EMUs in my youth I'll have to run it on a continuous circuit (ideally dog-bone) in one direction as the head and tail codes can't be changed and it'll look absurd to me running forwards with lighted red panels, and the numbered headcode at the rear, or invest in two units, one going in each direction. This may not be an issue for others, however.

Thanks for finding out what's provided in the extra bits bag, it would have been fiddly to change the headcodes over.

I'm interested in seeing how it performs on the track, if it's OK, then I'll put it on my wants list.

As I grew up with third rail EMUs in my youth I'll have to run it on a continuous circuit (ideally dog-bone) in one direction as the head and tail codes can't be changed and it'll look absurd to me running forwards with lighted red panels, and the numbered headcode at the rear, or invest in two units, one going in each direction. This may not be an issue for others, however.

It is an odd feature, and I would have thought it would have been easier to have head codes at both ends and bi-colour leds, but that doesn't seem to have ocured to them.

R E

• RMweb Premium

The solution would be to have blank headcodes at both ends instead of having one numbered end and one blank end with changeable directional red/white LEDs as per your comments.

It'll be possible to run it correctly with white blanks at the front and red blanks at the rear, like DMUs, and more suited for end-to-end layout running.

I reeceived mine late Friday and have spent the day at the Warley show have had a brief look at it. No extra headcodes in the extras pack, which contains a speaker housing, 6 x short couplers, 6 x raised dummpy couplers and 2 x drop head dummy couplers.

One perculiarity is that the lighting is the same in either direction..i.e. the head codes lights up white and the dummy has a red panel. This is the same even if the dummy is driving forwards. I spoke to someone at the Bachmann stand today who confirmed this is not a fault...

R E

That sounds rather silly to me.

If they can do diode controlled directional lighting on the 101 and 108 and others, why is it not on the 411?

It is inevitable people will want to run them in either direction and I just cant see the logic. Surely it must be a design or manufacturing issue rather than a prototypical feature being replicated?

Or am I missing something, having only superficial knowledge of the prototype?

Roy

• RMweb Premium

SR head and tail codes lit up with a similar intensity to an illuminated bus destination blind both day and night, which was fairly low, but nowhere near the dazzling intensity of modern LED headlights.

In N scale, I think they would look better if the lights were switched off which can be done with DCC.

Hi

From photos I have seen on a retailer's website the blue/grey version appears to have silver window inserts. Can anyone confirm this for me please as the 00 model only has silver rims to the windows.

Thanks

Gerry

Do you mean the window frames? On the Farish version they are the same grey as the body side.

R E Faust

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys Hattons and Postie supplied CEP this morning, a lovely whisper quiet motor and on dc well controlled. I have fitted vehicles with med and short couplings to close gaps and fitted Dapol buckeyes to front. The dummy buckeyes might end up on red end. The latest MK 1 close coupling units are not fitted.

Windows are grey framed as are ventilator frames. Coaches have smooth roofs with well formed vents, underframe looks good and right for EMU. The intermediate coaches do not have the brass pickup strips so any lighting will need jumping from end vehicles.

The bogies on trailers do not have pins to support picks compared to inner bogie on dummy. but making some pegs and pick ups not impossible as would be inserting rubbing plates - It would be possible to fit light bar above internal details as they are flat topped. Getting into the TCK was not that hard. I eased off bogies and inserted small screwdriver between onepiece body shell and the underframe , a slight twist opened a clip and using finger nail I was able to pop out the underframe- the body ./chassis joint clips number six and clip into glazing inserts which are heavily glued in - but no creep on visible portion - but will be pain for repainters! Interior is part painted with an offwhite corridor wall and a brown inside compartment and above seats, the rest is a mid grey self colour plastic. This offers the opportunity of fitting passengers to the seats. The trailer brake gear is very fine in a nylon sort of plastic- flexible.

End DMBS have lovely underframe details and shoe gear - beware these are pressfit as are rail guards - I have used a little glue to retain - Looking forward to a spare parts provision for these items The bogies are a lovely mass of rivet detail. The body unclips per the TCK and reveals above the brake area a PCB board with 6 pin chip blank this fits above eyeline and extends over first two seating bays.. The pickup plates also have some electronics on a small PCB under the slight rasied floor of the internal moulding. The PCB has two sprung contacts on to back of front bogie pickup plates. so no wiring to unsoder, PCB held in by two tiny self tapper screws. The LED sits in a recess with little bleed . I have put two bits of tamyia masking tape across it to dim on DC to make red a little dimmer.- nodoubt DCC experts can dim via CV changes!

Interior mouldings grey with black tables. The shape of table and seats akin to the BR lines resin seating units.

Looking at TSK and the loco hauled SK , the TCK is a new body moudling with correct end details including the jumper / termination box the roof is smooth compared to SK ribbed roof and vents . Internal details as TCK.

Motored DMBS Accessed same way - but motor block as two more clips per side and yes I broke one!

Blank plate The void for chip is 20mm long, 11mm wide and 3mm deep. The width constrained by two lugs on chassis 0 if removed width would be 13mm. The metal motor body is exposed and would need some tape to insulate,. PCB board in roof area has cut out to allow calbles for speaker to pass through. The bits bag has two round speak mounts for use in vehicle - instuction/data sheet suggests at inner end - unclip green moulding for vestibule area and speaker body clips in,

The under framehowever has a grid of holes in the centre of underframe 20 X 1mm but outer rows covered by pick up strip and the seat moulding has no holes so a little work required to let horn sounds to escape!!

The head code insert is very well glued in ! - This make changing a bit of a pain, however since both bodyshells are Identical it would be possible if required to swap about and have red blinds and motor bogie together.

Body details have excelled with glued in horn mouldings and no smoking stickers in rear three seat bay winsdows The long MU cable is another moulding glued in - others are moudled detail well painted as are the curtains. Not that the real ones lasted at the hands of some passengers. The corridor connections are step up from the simple moulding of thr SK , the CEP connections are two part with the front face having rubbing plate details and on front pair lamp brackets are provided. Painted number of sets is 7113

I will leave pictures to others but all in all model of the year stuff. Roll on EPBs - A 4EPB would be good not just the two.

hope above of use

Robert

Robert, thank you for such a comprehensive review. I now feel much more confident to buy.

For me this emu is iconic and I do hope that it sells as well as the 00 version so that Bachmann feel encouraged to release the 2 EPD and the MLV in N scale.

I have ordered an all green version but fear that I will succumb to all of them. ;0))

Thanks again.

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

My dropped through the letterbox today (thankfully not literally) along with a pre ordered 3 car Blue grey 101 DMU.

Christmas has indeed arrived early this year :yes:

Many thanks to Robert for that very comprehensive review.

Having just examined one of the DMBS's quickly, it does look to be a very fine model indeed. A real beauty.

Am surprised no one has posted any photos yet...but I guess the Hattons ones are pretty good.

Now the question is...do I keep it as a 'nice model to have in ones collection'...or do I plan a Southern layout around it?

Hmmm....I best finish my Scottish and Western Region exploits first...but its a nice thing to ponder...

Archived