Farish Class 411 / 4CEP

TomE

• RMweb Gold
Pete, if you start another layout your signature tag line will be wrapping round to a second line.

LoL...it can't...tried that already...and there are only so many url's allowed per signature!

Just seen the RRP for the emu though...even if Hattons shift it cheaper, that's still a lot of dosh to fork out :-(

Just seen the RRP for the emu though...even if Hattons shift it cheaper, that's still a lot of dosh to fork out :-(

The price is not really that bad when you think about it. Hattons are lisitng a preorder price of £124.

If we assume an average Farish diesel loco from Hattons is (say) £75 and three Mk1 coaches list at £16 each that's £123 in total - barely any difference, and of course there are lights fitted in both ends of the EMU.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Blue Grey version showing as due within the next 60 days now.

I could be tempted, but there are so many other things a lot more relevant to the current project which are vying for the budget it would be hard to justify!

Tom.

This may have been asked in relation to the 4mm version, was there a reason why they are doing the un-refurbished version? It does rather limit its appeal, much more than a CIG which outwardly looked the same throughout its life.

Choosing the original condition also lets them re-use existing Mk1 moulds for the inner coaches? They're almost identical (can of worms alert!) to a Mk1 SK and CK, leaving only one new moulding required for the two outer identical (another can of worms!) motor coaches.

• RMweb Gold

The price is not really that bad when you think about it. Hattons are lisitng a preorder price of £124.

If we assume an average Farish diesel loco from Hattons is (say) £75 and three Mk1 coaches list at £16 each that's £123 in total - barely any difference, and of course there are lights fitted in both ends of the EMU.

Your absolutely right Roy...I hadn't assumed that Hattons would undercut the RRP by so much...

And thinking about it, I paid out 129 notes for a Dapol HST earlier this year...which is the same arguement I guess...

Bring it on I say :yes:

Hmmm, I was thinking I'd wait for a release in NSE livery, but if they've only modelled the unrefurbished version, that isn't going to be coming any time soon is it? (and thats assuming Bachmann can tear themselves away from their irrational fear of the livery).

Is a OO refurbished model planned at all?

(and thats assuming Bachmann can tear themselves away from their irrational fear of the livery).

Its hardly irrational when shops are still trying to clear stocks of OO Mk.1s from production runs 7-8 years ago and Mk.2s from 3-4 years ago. The sad fact is that NSE isn't a popular livery when compared to Green or Blue/Grey. I think that is why the OO EPB came out as a Collectors Club limited edition.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Any NSE, or indeed nearly any Southern mainline layout, would look odd without plenty of EMUs. Until now, that has meant kit- or scratch-building, which experience tells us many modellers (OO as well as N) are reluctant to do.

From this point of view, it is not surprising that NSE has been a poor seller.

Now that Bachmann are testing the water with an RTR EMU, I hope that healthy sales convince firstly to produce the 2-EPB in N, and then to offer this in NSE livery, and then perhaps in 3-4 years to get around to the refurbished 4-CEP (which has not yet appeared in OO.)

I suspect that the 4-CIG was not chosen because it was only built in the late 1960s and I think it was too late for green livery. The NGS experience with RTR has been that the steam/diesel era modellers outnumber other sectors and are the most enthusiastic about putting their hands in their pockets to buy stuff, so it's sensible to make any new product, especially a "risky" one, appeal to them - and they like their units green!

cheers

Ben A.

I suspect that the 4-CIG was not chosen because it was only built in the late 1960s and I think it was too late for green livery. The NGS experience with RTR has been that the steam/diesel era modellers outnumber other sectors and are the most enthusiastic about putting their hands in their pockets to buy stuff, so it's sensible to make any new product, especially a "risky" one, appeal to them - and they like their units green!

cheers

Ben A.

The first ones appeared in 1964 and were green, so that couldn't have been the reason.

• RMweb Premium

The first production 4CEPs appeared during 1958/59, following on from the 1956-built prototypes, so they ran side by side with steam whereas the 4CIGs first appeared on the Central Division in 1964/65 just in time to see the last steam activity there.

I can certainly see a fair few who want to reproduce some of the operational practices on the Southern Electric including prototypical 12-car formations and splitting/attaching units because of the room available, but it'll be hard on the wallet!

I am dreading the arrival of this (which may be imminent as a delivery from China has arrived at Barwell today with the A1s in it, and presumably the Blue/Grey 411 as well), as it may spur another new N gauge layout. I think once I've seen it, I will have to have it, but that means opening up a whole new collection of 1980s/1990s BR southern region modelling...

David

• RMweb Gold

I'm still surprised at the lack of a CIG in either scale. Surely a better choice than the unrefurbished CEP? You had the choice of Green livery (for the transition modellers) right through blue/grey, Jaffa Cake, NSE, up to the post privatisation era. They lasted with virtually no external modifications, so could be done with minumum spend on tooling,

Are you listening, Dave? :angel:

Hi Bernard,

I didn't realise the CIGs got green!

Cheers

Ben A.

Not only the CIGs were green, but also the BIGs!

It would be nice to think that BEPs will follow the CEPs at some time in the near future, in both 00 and N - apologies to Andy Y for getting too close to a wish list!

I'm glad that the as-built condition was chosen, rather than the refurbs, as I want them for Kent Coast transition era!

Richard

Nice, but why, oh why is there no close coupling between coaches?? Thats close as in touching corridor connections. Surely with a newly designed model this is possible. The european manufacturers have been doing this for years!

Just seems to be the biggest "issue" left with UK N gauge left to crack.

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure the CEP has the same close coupling mech as the MK.1 coaches, with the exception of end the motor is located. If you use a combination of the short & long shank couplers, you can get the gap down to pretty much nothing.

Tom.

• RMweb Premium
I am dreading the arrival of this (which may be imminent as a delivery from China has arrived at Barwell today with the A1s in it, and presumably the Blue/Grey 411 as well), as it may spur another new N gauge layout. I think once I've seen it, I will have to have it, but that means opening up a whole new collection of 1980s/1990s BR southern region modelling...

David

BTW the blue/grey versions will arrive first.

http://www.Bachmann....d=farish&prod=1

This might tempt me back into modelling in N ... if I ever wanted to build a layout, it'll be swarming with EMUs with only one or two locos just like what happened over much of the Southern Region. Boring maybe for some, but realistic.

Archived