Farish Class 411 / 4CEP

TomE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After nearly 3 weeks living with my 4CEP I am really pleased with it. After a couple of instances of detaching a shoe beam and a buffer I have added some adhesive to all of them to aid security. It is now running with short Dapol non-working buckeyes between all vehicles which reduces the gap between gangways to less than 1mm which is OK when propelling too, even on a 9 inch radius curve. The one thing that I would like to alter is the headcode lighting so that I can show a red blind to the rear and a plain white blind to the front whether the powered DMBSO is leading or trailing. A white on black headcode would be ideal but requires some extra inventiveness. The current edition of Hornby magazine shows the lighting end of the PCB quite clearly in one of those ghosted views of the interior of the powered DMBSO and hopefully I can achieve my goal with a dual red/yellow LED/resistor set up and isolating whatever rectifier causes the unpowered car to show red regardless of the direction of travel. The light would need to shine through a translucent white blind. I know that a plain white blind was generally used only for empty movements but it would be preferable to the red blind at the front when the unpowered DMBSO is leading.

I looked around to see if this was a lighting mod made by anyone using the 00 gauge 4CEP but my searches have not revealed anything. My main problem now will be removing the body from the chassis which looks like it will need a very fine blade and loads of strips of plasticard, plus a dose of courage.

I'd be interested in any advice on body removal and the PCB lighting set up.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

After nearly 3 weeks living with my 4CEP I am really pleased with it. After a couple of instances of detaching a shoe beam and a buffer I have added some adhesive to all of them to aid security. It is now running with short Dapol non-working buckeyes between all vehicles which reduces the gap between gangways to less than 1mm which is OK when propelling too, even on a 9 inch radius curve. The one thing that I would like to alter is the headcode lighting so that I can show a red blind to the rear and a plain white blind to the front whether the powered DMBSO is leading or trailing. A white on black headcode would be ideal but requires some extra inventiveness. The current edition of Hornby magazine shows the lighting end of the PCB quite clearly in one of those ghosted views of the interior of the powered DMBSO and hopefully I can achieve my goal with a dual red/yellow LED/resistor set up and isolating whatever rectifier causes the unpowered car to show red regardless of the direction of travel. The light would need to shine through a translucent white blind. I know that a plain white blind was generally used only for empty movements but it would be preferable to the red blind at the front when the unpowered DMBSO is leading.

I looked around to see if this was a lighting mod made by anyone using the 00 gauge 4CEP but my searches have not revealed anything. My main problem now will be removing the body from the chassis which looks like it will need a very fine blade and loads of strips of plasticard, plus a dose of courage.

I'd be interested in any advice on body removal and the PCB lighting set up.

Mike

Yes its strange that farish bach havent made coach lighting for these ,unlike their 00 gauge relatives?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all...

I have coupled mine using the sets of close couplers and the gangway ends are virtually touching each other.

It looks great like that and on the project I am proposing to use it, it will just shuffle back and forth in a straight line.

Just wondered if anyone else had used it like this and if it can manage a long radius turnout in this configeration?...

Afternoon all...

I have coupled mine using the sets of close couplers and the gangway ends are virtually touching each other.

It looks great like that and on the project I am proposing to use it, it will just shuffle back and forth in a straight line.

Just wondered if anyone else had used it like this and if it can manage a long radius turnout in this configeration?...

Hi, too fully join them ,ive use corridor connexions gangways, looks realistic and great on curves although my curves are 3rd and 4th peco code 55 finescale.

Mark.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, too fully join them ,ive use corridor connexions gangways, looks realistic and great on curves although my curves are 3rd and 4th peco code 55 finescale.

Hi Mark - Thanks for this - if I can get away without corridor connexion gangways I will, I was just curious if it did manage curves in this configuration...its a PITA to couple it together like this though :no:

Well, I chipped my CEP today. Firstly, it is a fantastic model and Farish should be applauded for doing such a good job!

Chipping was a phaff. The body removal wasn't easy and I was lucky not to damage it. The second phaff is having to use 2 decoders. I used a Lenz silver for the motorised car, and a cheap Bachmann one in the unpowered vehicle. That was still an expensive excercise. The final phaff is the dummy car, which has no load over the motor terminals ... I had to install chip in the motor vehicle, program it, then put it back into the unpowered vehicle. Any future programming will require its removal to another loco. This shouldn't be a problem as the only thing it controls is one light.

So chipping was a phaff ... but it was definitly worth it as it is such a cracking model.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I chipped my CEP today. Firstly, it is a fantastic model and Farish should be applauded for doing such a good job!

Chipping was a phaff. The body removal wasn't easy and I was lucky not to damage it. The second phaff is having to use 2 decoders. I used a Lenz silver for the motorised car, and a cheap Bachmann one in the unpowered vehicle. That was still an expensive excercise. The final phaff is the dummy car, which has no load over the motor terminals ... I had to install chip in the motor vehicle, program it, then put it back into the unpowered vehicle. Any future programming will require its removal to another loco. This shouldn't be a problem as the only thing it controls is one light.

So chipping was a phaff ... but it was definitly worth it as it is such a cracking model.

When fitting 2 decoders To DMUs & EMUs , simply recode the 2 at the same time!

I did not actually bother to use a decoder in the dummy car of my 4CEP as it seemed a little pointless as the indicator blinds are not directionally controlled anyway.

Incidentally it is possible to carefully remove the RED coating from the dummy car's blind to reveal a white light which in my opinion is better than having the red illuminating when the dummy car is leading!

With the Green units it won't matter about directionality as the full height blinds fitted when the units were green didn't have red blinds and the rear of the train had to have a tail lamp fitted - in theory the rear of the train had to have two (unilluminated) white blinds showing, but I recall seeing several trains where the headcode displayed when the unit was running in the opposite direction was still showing - prototype for everything dept .

Just a quick note to say that if you are storing the CEP in a stock box rather than the original box then be very careful of the pickup shoes. Mine is stored in a Parkwood N gauge box and today one of the shoes fell off as i was removing it from the box. It was easily stuck back on with a drop of super glue tho.

Just a quick note to say that if you are storing the CEP in a stock box rather than the original box then be very careful of the pickup shoes. Mine is stored in a Parkwood N gauge box and today one of the shoes fell off as i was removing it from the box. It was easily stuck back on with a drop of super glue tho.

Actually the pickup shoes tend to fall off randomly! In my case when the unit is in motion, well they did until used some adhesive on them.

No sign of the Green ones yet although they are noted to be available within next 60 days accrding to Bachmann's website, I think its the usual story of seling what is perceived to be the slowest seller first before making the perhaps more popular liveries available, just like Hornby seem to be doing with the 00 5-BEL, the Blue Grey version is iminent but the Earlier livery is not yet on the Horizon (apparently) It makes good marketing sense though!

My local model shop called this afternoon to say the courier had just delivered his stock his stock and my order. I collected just before closing and the unit was running in on the club layout within the hour. Looks good runs well - no loose bits on mine - yet!

A Yorkshire retailer received both green versions late this afternoon and 2 of them are hopefully in transit to me for a Saturday delivery along with some Art Deco buildings,

:drag: the Southern in Wales what a combination!!

Nice Video I like the other passing traffic as well as the EMUs

Just a little point I have noticed with my 2 Green ones as opposed to my Blue Grey one,, the pickup shoes have not fallen off the green ones once, whereas those on the Blue/Grey unit fell off quite frequently until I used adhesive on them. I reckon they must have sent a few tubes of glue to the Chinese factory!!

It may be of interest also that Green liveried and Blue Grey ones did run together, I refer to 'The Southern Electric Story' ( Michael H C Baker)

Page 59 pic shows a 12 car train composed of Green 4 CEP no: 7182 leading followed by a Green 4BEP and Blue Grey 4CEP dated March 1969.

Nice Video I like the other passing traffic as well as the EMUs

Just a little point I have noticed with my 2 Green ones as opposed to my Blue Grey one,, the pickup shoes have not fallen off the green ones once, whereas those on the Blue/Grey unit fell off quite frequently until I used adhesive on them. I reckon they must have sent a few tubes of glue to the Chinese factory!!

It may be of interest also that Green liveried and Blue Grey ones did run together, I refer to 'The Southern Electric Story' ( Michael H C Baker)

Page 59 pic shows a 12 car train composed of Green 4 CEP no: 7182 leading followed by a Green 4BEP and Blue Grey 4CEP dated March 1969.

Hi, thanks for the comment and info. I also have a blue/grey CEP but have not had any problems with the shoes. Do you know if an all green unit with no yellow panels would have been around at the same time as blue/grey liveried ones?

Hi, thanks for the comment and info. I also have a blue/grey CEP but have not had any problems with the shoes. Do you know if an all green unit with no yellow panels would have been around at the same time as blue/grey liveried ones?

Not sure about the early livery units but my guess would be that it is unlikely, but I am sure that someone with more knowledge of the Southern EMUs may be able to give us an answer!

I also note that the early green Farish CEP has White blind in the non powered car and the Yellow panelled unit has RED one,

I believe this to be correct.

Its just a bit of a niggle when the powered car is propelling! It is possible to remove the red by gently scraping with a fine blade whether you would want to though is the question!

• RMweb Gold

Pete you converted yours yet if so how ?

If you mean me Nick...then no...not yet :(

Before I get cracking on the Southern Region, I need to first withdraw myself from the Scottish Region, then re-engage with the Western Region.

Infact, on my Southern layout it will only be running on straight easitrac lengths so I might get away with not doing it even :O

Purely as a matter of interest I have been 'playing around' with the CEPs and I thought it was worth posting that a single power car will easily handle 11 additional unpowered cars both pulling and propelling, the layout includes gradients of approx 1 in 30. performance was immaculate with only a very small reduction in full power top speed , and lets face it we dont run at unrealistic excessive speeds do we!!

Whilst a 12 car train is a little too long for many layouts, I would imagine that 8 cars would be able to be run on many, perhaps there is a case for Bachmann to consider selling unpowered 4 car sets ( As Dapol do with some of their products)

I am not quite sure how the equaton would work commercially, but maybe there are modellers who would be reluctant to pay out a further £120 for an additional powered set, but would pay say £80 for an unpowered set??

Archived