Andy Y

Dapol Class 22 - Photo Review

Many thanks Andy for that thorough appraisal. These Waverley Route regulars (ahem) are sure to find a home at Teviotbank, what a beauty that is.*

Praiseworthy efforts from Dapol Dave's team, this should be handsomely rewarded with healthy sales and layouts to boot - my mental Forest of Dean shunting puzzle is fast becoming irresistible.

Hopefully these will be available at Warley, it's straight after payday!

:sungum:

EDIT: just clicked on the HD images second time through and the model really does look staggeringly excellent. This bodes WELL for other intended releases. Gobsmacked.

* well if the Lord Nelsons were delievered via Hawick I'm sure one of these will have been!

Edited by 'CHARD

Fantastic review Andy - and it seems, a fantastic model to match. I can't wait for the Class 29s (hint, hint) ;)

Good job chaps, I hope it sells very well for you.

Edited by S.A.C Martin

Roll on the plain green version! ;)

Wonder who will be the first to put wider gauge wheels in, seeing as you've mentioned the narrrow-ish gap between sideframes.... (hint hint chrisf - fun times for us!)

Hi chaps,

Just to elaborate slightly on Andy's review.

The sample that blew was one of 7 sent to me specifically for Magazines etc, and at no time did China tell me that the models contained PCB boards that were not production ones :banghead:

It was only reporting this fault yesterday to China that this came to light or else i expect they would have remained silent of the subject. (Where's an emoticon for punching someone in the head, when you need it?)

Rest assured i will find out why, and get some damn good answers to my rather probing questions whilst i'm holding a plank of wood with a rust nail banged through it in a threatening manner!!!

cheers

Dave

• Like 7

Puts my Hornby conversion with spoke wheels new bogies and new mechanism to shame!

Looks like I will be getting a few of these!

Dave read the email from China out to me a little earlier and I can vouch for the frustration over a minor issue.

Hopefully these may be of use to Dave - 2.gif 2.gif

• Like 4

The model is supplied with self-adhesive headcode numbers and letters and gives the potential to model different train reporting numbers in classes 1,2,3,6,7,8,9,0. The transfers have the numbers and letters as a see-through section within the black surround. Although this may appeal to those who like to see the lit headcode in darkened conditions I would prefer to make my own reporting numbers with white lettering which would look better in daylight conditions. The headcode lighting is a blueish-white and I would prefer to the headcode to have a warmer light.

Not being unduly concerned about lights, I would probably look at fixing the headcode transfers to very thin white plasticard to highlight the characters - I presume there is clearance to do this Andy?

Yes; I would say there would be Rod. Failing that, maybe some thin white vinyl.

Hi Andy, thanks for a full and objective review. Bearing in mind what Dapol Dave said to me at the RMWeb members' day, are there any notes in the instructions about what type of controller to use, or more importantly NOT to use with the loco?

Ed

Andy, thanks for the in-depth review and the excellent pictures. I am not sure whether to get a new one asap or wait for Kernow's weathered version...

I see that the NEM pocket is mounted on a simple pivot, with no attempt at a close-coupling mount. Well, at least it's not moulded into the bogie frame Bachmann-style. However, the bogies are not so close to the ends on this locomotive, and it looks like removing the provided coupling leaves a nice flat surface and there might just be enough room for a close-coupling mount there.

Hi Ed,

The controller issue is a tricky one and one i have to be careful about naming names.

I'd rather just give outlines on what i consider to be appropriate to the model if thats ok.

DCC, pretty much any, but please check online as some controllers have been noted to give a spike of 50+ V through the track.

Decoders for DCC? well i truly believe you get what you pay for, but i understand budgets are an issue in these austere times.

DC controllers, well much as i love them, the older controllers are not the place to be, and you would be amazed at how many N gaugers change controllers from their old H&M to a Gaugemaster and notice a big difference.

I'm not a fan of feedback controllers myself, having been bitten in N gauge with them, but there are some good ones out there.

Ones that are re-packaged to look modern when in fact some of the internals are stone age i'd steer clear of.

I think it's quite subjective, and i'm sure (without looking) there are plenty of pro's and cons for most, and some of our more learn'ed members here will be able to comment accordingly.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

What a staggering model, and a superb review, Andy - the best I think I've ever seen anywhere!

Hopefully Ultrascale will get their hands on one of these soon - having done a conversion pack for EM & P4 for the Model Rail Sentinel, I would hope that this one won't be too far behind!

Just spent a little while with my local model shop owner sorting out my order and a couple of others, at one point he rang Dapol to check, and I think we have it straight now :D

If unltrascale want to contact me i can supply them with a pre-production model to play with?

If that helps?

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Wow. And the wife's agreed to give me a Kernow weathered one for Christmas. :sungum:

Certainly bodes well for the Westerns, although they will hopefully not be 3½ years in the making - I can't believe its that long, but well worth the wait. Well done Dapol.

Guest Max Stafford

This model looks incredibly good and will be very hard to resist. It has definitely been worth waiting for NBLs to appear in model form.

Putting my saddo hat on for a minute, I observe that the OHL flash is of the 1980s rather than original design, but if that's all the fault a man can find...!

Good things come to those who wait!

Dave.

Off-forum discussions have raised a couple of issues worthy of clarification.

Speedo cable

The image below shows the speedo cable on the left hand bogie. This is correct but therefore should not be fitted to the other bogie on the opposite site. This would be an easy removal for the modeller.

post-1-0-02188800-1320747159_thumb.jpg

Horn apertures

The two round apertures above the headcode boxes next to the warning flashes should not be glazed. A dab of black will fix that or drill/push the glazing back.

Guest oldlugger

A very nice looking model but the body seems to be sitting too high off the bogies with a larger gap than is found on the prototype. Maybe this is just on the sample and the production run will be different?

You can certainly drop it 1mm more than the initial photos show (I did mention I'd not re-seated it absolutely correctly) but I did mention the bogie/body gap in the review.

I've just taken a further shot to show the body correctly seated.

cab_sit.jpg

• Like 1

As I said on another thread, the new instant-Youtube- RMweb/Andy Y reviews cannot be beaten. Now I have to admit I detested the look of these spoked wheeled chopped nose diesels when they appeared in the late 1950s railway press, but this is a very fine model of the real thing and that makes a big difference. Am I tempted. Of course.....I wouldnt be an enthusiast if I wasn't. :D

• Like 1

A very nice looking model but the body seems to be sitting too high off the bogies with a larger gap than is found on the prototype. Maybe this is just on the sample and the production run will be different?

"I can see that I did not fully seat the body back on the chassis in the above shots; apologies for this but I can assure readers that the gap is less than that shown in the images."

I like it alot. Especially the spoked wheels and the fine detail on the bogies. Andy's reports on the chassis performance sounds very encouraging too. I have been hoping Dapol would get this one right and I have to say it's nice to see a model that looks "right" from the off without making you question or check any aspect of it's appearance.