HULL & BARNSLEY Rly Signalbox.

Looking again (thanks for the closeup, Mick) I think we're seeing the front 2/3 of a loco coal wagon and the recessed panels are the cupboard doors. It's more obvious on the first shot, but what I thought was light on an upper panel might be 'LOCO' lettering.

post-702-0-45467500-1341325846_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-69364100-1341325869_thumb.jpg

Attached, what will probably be the final pictures of the signal box until it is fixed permenantly on the layout.

The "Back Drop" is not finished, but for now it will suffice, in the meantime, more pressing jobs to be on with. Mick.

• Like 10

Great work mate, I'm hoping a grimey A7 draws upto the board at any moment and sits simmering long enough for the signalman to capture a picture of it,

ATB Mick

Great work mate, I'm hoping a grimey A7 draws upto the board at any moment and sits simmering long enough for the signalman to capture a picture of it,

ATB Mick

Thanks Mick, but first we need to go to York and get the "A7" GA and Detail drawings. Mick.

Great stuff, Mick. I especially like the sign!

I made the sign on the "Electric Telegraph Instrument" and then printed it onto cream coloured card. The style and details were taken from '50's photographs and a surviving sign I discovered still in situ, and not that many yards from where the model is suposed to be. Subway Street, is a real place, it still exists and originaly went under the H&B Rly. The phone number is typical for the area and 1950's, likewise the telegraph address. Mick.

Many thanks for the Weedley pictures, Mick. It brings it all back. It's amazing how such an apparently ordinary scene has so much resonance for me.

Incidentlly, was it not the case that they had to adjust the route of the line at Weedley because the formation became flooded and the original route became the famous Weedley Springs?

Or is my imagination running wild?

Ian

• Like 1

post-702-0-64663100-1342023824_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-64663100-1342023824_thumb.jpg

What might be the purpose of that box on the pedestals in front of the signal mast, Mick?

A few posts back you asked the purpose of the "Wooden Box" on concrete legs, as I said at the time a early style location box. Just found the attached, and unusualy, both a wooden and steel box side by side. The picture dates from c1999, and I believe was taken at Howden, just before the box was abolished and replaced by "MAS". Mick.

• Like 2

and I believe was taken at Howden, just before the box was abolished and replaced by "MAS".

I bet it was quite a nice stretch with Howden and Eastrington boxes still operable - when did they close?

• Like 1

I bet it was quite a nice stretch with Howden and Eastrington boxes still operable - when did they close?

Eastrington Sunday 17 September 1989.

Caville Bridge 13 May 1942.

Howden Sunday 9 November 1997

Wressle Sunday 13 July 1986.

Hemingbrough Sunday 9 November 1997

• Like 1

Thanks for that Mick!

It seems odd how boxes have closed between Gilberdyke and Selby but not the other way...

Only a matter of time before the lots gone, and all in the hands of a computer geek forty or more miles away, great until something goes wrong, can't beat a man on the ground and with local knowledge, such is progress. Mick.

• Like 2

Thanks for that Mick!

It seems odd how boxes have closed between Gilberdyke and Selby but not the other way...

James, I see your point, but not so, a lot has also happened Paragon to Gylberdyke:

CLOSEING DATES.

Paragon Tempory 1905

Park Street April 1938

West Parade March 1980

Anlaby Road July or Aug 1964

Hessle East 11 July 1965

Hessle Haven 27 February 1983

Hessle Station c1972

Hessle Quarry c1970

Swanland c1909

Ferriby July 1980

Welton c1917

Brough West c1976

Staddlethorpe East c1967

Gylberdyke c1909

• 6 years later...

After several years of other things, I am now able to return to my own layout and hopefully bring into use the several models I have had in store. A couple of pictures of what is little more then a Mock Up of what I hope eventually to achieve, as always time will tell. Most of the track is just dropped into position, and as for the ballasting. "Could do Better and must do so.

1_SALLYFIELD_Jct_2.JPG

1_Sallyfield_Jct_.jpg

• Like 1