Barkham Green GWR OO Layout

vulcanbomber

Weather wet and cooler so I got a bit of work done on the layout this afternoon.

post-254-0-76773100-1406906872.jpg

I had spent a lot of time on the computer, this week,  experimenting with various perspective ideas to go between the trees.

However none of them worked because it was too dependent on the the viewpoint of the observer.

What looked right from one angle looked completely wrong from another.

I first tried placing the ambulance, and then needed something for the right hand side.

I had an old plastic model GWR lorry which was no longer of use, and I had the idea of cutting the front off and putting it disappearing into the back scene. The tree helps mask the side of the  lorry so you can't see the cut.

I have left the mirror in place, but had to move the newspaper reader because had was being reflected in the mirror at certain angles,

It means nothing can be placed on the market square forward of the "building line".

• Like 4

Hi Richard, - I think I will have similar problems on my layout, - as Church Street in Sproston has to "dissappear at right angles" into the backscene, (behind which are the hidden sidings).

I have put trees in the churchyard on one side, and a low relief corner shop (cafe) on the other, was originally thinking along the lines of a low relief medieval gateway ,with a mirror below as used by the Late Peter Denny on his 'Buckingham' layout, but that might not work, as one side of the road is urban and the other has a distinctly countryside feel to it...

The mirror is a very good idea though..... will have to experiment when I get round to it - at the moment all modelling is on hold due to the extreme temperatures in the loft ( 98c)..  I am waiting for cooler weather to arrive to be able to get up there and fit rolls of reflective double sided foil to the loft rafters in an effort to make it more habitable!!

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve).

Well the Apothecary is finished.

post-254-0-60187800-1406994780.jpg

Hit one minor problem after adding lighting, the door etch had a small hole for door knob, which until lit wasn't noticeable, but once light was obvious, .so the door now has a peco pin as a door knob.

Now for the florist

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update and some trains for a change!

I have spent the last couple weeks of re-evaluating operations on Barkham Green.

As I've said before the UP line was fully automated and the Down line was all manual.

I found problems with both methods.

a) The automated program ran fine most of the time, with each train being followed sequentially by the next.

Found 4 problems with this

1. If a loco was out of operation the whole program had to be amended.

2. If a train de-railed it threw out the whole automation program and it took time to sort out

3. The brain is a lot cleverer than a computer and it was difficult to program running sequences I could dream up.

4. It was boring!

b) Manual with me controlling points and locomotives,

1. Fine until I had visitors to view the layout and then it was easy to get distracted and throw the wrong point.

2. The storage loops are hidden and it was difficult to stop the trains precisely in the same spot.

3. It is very difficult to keep an eye on Grand-children whilst operating trains!

So my  new operation system is to let the computer control the speed and stopping of locos, and to operate all the points according to which  schedule is called up for the train.

I decide which train is to run next, by selecting the train and telling it which Schedule to run.

The trains all run in a fixed set, there is no shunting etc.

So here are the trains running

I'm also going to add a few notes about any extra things I intend doing

post-254-0-16330900-1409153164.jpg

This is an original Lima Railcar

This shuttles backwards and forwards on the line between the tunnel and platform 1

It is the only train still fully automated, I found it runs a lot better with a DCC feedback decoder fitted.

I keep it separated from the main line because it has traction tyres, thus reducing maintenance

No future work is planned on this until I see the new Dapol Railcar

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64529-Dapol-streamlined-railcar/

post-254-0-46964800-1409153140.jpg

This an original Airfix Autocoach and is fitted to a Bachmann  8750

It wants lamps fitting and some crew, long term passengers and lighting in the coach.

post-254-0-47922200-1409153149.jpg

These are original Airfix B set coaches pulled by an Bachmann 8750.

The loco wants lamps and crew.

I will probably replace the coaches with the new Hornby ones, which look a lot better

post-254-0-37751300-1409153125.jpg

Hornby R2918 - GWR Class 3800 No.3803 pulling a set of 12 vans, there is room in the storage loop to fit another 3 vans, probably private owner.

This is a lovely loco and because of the open cab, will be one the first to get a loco crew, it also needs loco lamps

A lamp will be fitted to the brake van

post-254-0-90858100-1409153135.jpg

Bachmann GWR 45xx/4575 Small Prairie Tank which is newly fitted with oil tankers there is still  room for one more  tank in the siding.

Probably be the first train to weather if I go down that route, the wagons look much too clean!

This also needs loco crew and lamps

post-254-0-36944800-1409153154.jpg

This is a Bachmann GWR 56xx Tank pulling 14 coal wagons, which is all that can be fitted in the storage loop.

I'm still deciding whether to weather the wagons

Need fitting with crew and lamps.

Still a few couplings need changing to standardize on Bachmann

post-254-0-59710600-1409153159.jpg

Hornby King Arthur N15 class Ettarre pulling five Horny pullmans, just brought the last one for £25 last week from Hattons a bargain.

I found then it wouldn't fit in Loop 1 so had to change to the Up line and use Loop 6 which is the longest,

The coaches are as follows

Hornby R4480 Pullman 1st Class Kitchen Car 'Minerva' - Matchboard type

Hornby R4479 Pullman 3rd Class Parlour Car 'Car No. 34' - Matchboard type

Hornby R4478 Pullman 1st Class Parlour Car 'Leona' - Matchboard type

Hornby R4425 Pullman 3rd Class Brake car 'No 55' - matchboard

Hornby R4481 Pullman 3rd Class Kitchen Car No. 60 Matchboard type

The only thing now to fit is crew and lamps

post-254-0-51759700-1409153168.jpg

Bachmann GWR 49xx  Sketty Hall, one of my best locos pulling 4 Bachmann coaches, which is all that will fit in the storage road.

Long term want to fit lights in the coaches

Needs crew and lamps

post-254-0-16681000-1409153310.jpg

Bachnann City of Bath pulling  a new Hornby horsebox and four of the old Triang clerstories, which look far better than the Hornby current ones

These will be replaced if Hornby or Bachmann ever make some suitable coaches.

Because of the open cab will shortly get crew and lamps

Probably fit garter transfers to coaches.

Well I've finally manged to get  my full stock of 9 trains now which is all the layout can handle. 

Edited by vulcanbomber
  • Like 7

Enough fun with Trains back to shopping

The Bookshop and sweet Shop are now finished, as you acn see I have changed the paint scheme on Sweet Shop, The original sweet shop sign wasn't showing up well enough.

post-254-0-98943300-1409596280.jpg

post-254-0-61222300-1409596293.jpg

I thought I was finished when I first light them up, but had forgotten to add a  door knob on Book shop, so there was a little spot of light in the door, fortunately I manged to drill it out in situ and add a peco pin

Just the Post Office to do when I get back off holiday

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well back off holiday and finished the Post Office today

post-254-0-22249300-1411325739.jpg

post-254-0-53834600-1411325756.jpg

I intend adding a Post Box between the Post Office and book shop, nearly brought the Hornby one since it is pre-painted, but realized it it is QEII.

I would of thought they would have made a KGV! one since that would fit most modelling periods. The problem of buying one un- painted it that I will have to buy a jar of Post Office red, which will only ever be used once.

With regards to the rest of the square I have decided to go with the Langley Punch and Judy show and will try and replicate the following print

post-254-0-05368700-1411326216.jpg

But with 1930 clothes

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I finally managed to work out a way to "paint" the Langley  Models Punch & Judy

I Googled red lined paper in images reduced it down and stuck it on to white metal shell.

This was after I had several attempts at painting the lining without any success

post-254-0-42074200-1413559093.jpg

Now need to find the right people for the scene from the painting (Yes I thought red strips looked better than blue check)

• Like 5

Thank you for sharing the picture on AV, came to look at your link and you have some lovely stuff....Sasquatch loves those Wills craftmans kits. You should consider taking pictures as you build - a lot of people like to see how people approach them. Am added to followers.

More progress on wheelwrights

attachicon.gifWheelwright 5.jpg

attachicon.gifWheelwright 6.jpg

First coat of paint 

attachicon.gifWheelwright 7.jpg

The dimensions on ground are for pic I took with my smartphone of area so I know dimensions when buying stuff at Warley

I have always (if having one part done one or two buildings can count as always) gone and used the finished tiling for the roof...seeing you make the roof and cut it and lay it on.....is an interesting way to go

Thanks for all your comments

With slate tiles what I usually do, is use a sheet of slate tiles from Scalescenes (came with church plan), and then cut out strips 2 tiles wide

Then I make vertical cuts the bottom row of tiles, then the strips are layered overlapping on the roof

The tiles for the roof on the wheelwright came from Redutex

I like your layout, you have been and looked for some lovely reference, and made your own versions, and the advantage is as your skill increases, (not a funny comment, everyone improves as they go along) you can rework any earlier work with ease. We ripped a large part of AV up in its entirety to update as we improved. Luckily your layout is coming along nicely, and the back bone is really nice. As more colour and details come into place it looks better and better. I would consider popping one or two good quality figures in the fore grounds, Monty or Dart Castings might be a good source you might wish to investigate, as I think they have characters good for your era. I love your shops, and you are slowly setting up various cameos which draw the eye.And I agree with an relayer comment by Westerhamstation.....I love the settee. I think the colours need some tweaking with weathering etc, but that is a personal preference,  

Jaz

Yes populating the dioramas is my next task, I agree Dart Castings have the best figures I have a shopping list ready for Warley.

The buildings in front of the fiddle yard are now virtually finished.

My next major task is to redo the Georgian buildings behind the station these are plaster one's from town scene and are over 20 years old now. The lack of proper windows is starting to annoy me now.

Again a task for Warley to find some suitable windows

The station building is now 30 years old, and one day I will get around to adding a canopy!

Having spent so long constructing some of the buildings I'm loath to weather them too much in case I overdo it

• Like 1

Jaz

Yes populating the dioramas is my next task, I agree Dart Castings have the best figures I have a shopping list ready for Warley.

The buildings in front of the fiddle yard are now virtually finished.

My next major task is to redo the Georgian buildings behind the station these are plaster one's from town scene and are over 20 years old now. The lack of proper windows is starting to annoy me now.

Again a task for Warley to find some suitable windows

The station building is now 30 years old, and one day I will get around to adding a canopy!

Having spent so long constructing some of the buildings I'm loath to weather them too much in case I overdo it

As I said it is personal preference, and as our buildings are present day with heritage, they will in time need some weathering, but plenty of them just as they are out of the box. So I admire that you made yours, and if you prefer a cleaner look your layout refers to a less industrial era so barring some some soot you probably correct, and of course rule one is always in force  :sungum:

Until I go to Warley, I stuck for doing more work on the market square, so I bit the bullet and removed the module

behind the station for upgrade.

post-254-0-62790500-1413644868.jpg

Then carefully removed one of the buildings

post-254-0-07769600-1413644921.jpg

It's amazing the building looks fine from a distance but up close it looks rubbish, but I did do this about 20 years ago!

Rather than replace the building totally, I'm going to experiment with replacing one or two of the windows with some etched windows I have laying around.

I'm wondering if I can cut the existing windows out with a fret saw

• Like 1

Until I go to Warley, I stuck for doing more work on the market square, so I bit the bullet and removed the module

behind the station for upgrade.

attachicon.gifStation 11.jpg

Then carefully removed one of the buildings

attachicon.gifStation 12.jpg

It's amazing the building looks fine from a distance but up close it looks rubbish, but I did do this about 20 years ago!

Rather than replace the building totally, I'm going to experiment with replacing one or two of the windows with some etched windows I have laying around.

I'm wondering if I can cut the existing windows out with a fret saw

Actually after my latest attempt at scratch building, I am rather impressed. I think even a tweak of the paint job, with a little weathering....would give this a nice face lift, and I agree photographed at a distance they look really good. Were they made from a mould? There is some excellent details in there. Your just missing the bit to the side of the door where they wiped the mud off their feet.I love the door framing and the windows And for the Georgian effect you have the 3 pane windows spot on.Although as I recently read apparently Georgian houses usually had 2 chimneys.......oh lol.....I am becoming a 'rivet' counter......slinks away in disgust LOL.... :jester:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I tried modifying one the plaster casts to take etched windows, but the plaster is too thick and very difficult to work. So it's time to scratch build another set of buildings. I'm waiting until I've been to Warley to work out the most economical way to doing the windows

I dont know which threads you go see, but several that I know are worthy of checking out for modelling methods...

3 that come immediately to mind

Bakewell....lots of clever modelling, ideas which work for various scratch build modelling.....be careful it's addictive :O

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-landscape-gardening/&do=findComment&comment=863304

Anything thing you can do I can do better Allan Downes and Ian Robinson....

I found this very early on when we started AV here on RMweb, initially it was finished work....the colouring is exceptional... but the later part of the thread shows ...just how they do stuff......

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/&do=findComment&comment=1021956

probably the ONE thread you really should check out.

Westerhamstation, not only did this get into the BRM but he can produce a part of his model from everyday items, if you want top notch work on a shoe string this man is well worth checking out.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64587-westerham-and-brasted-station-rest-while-you-wait-for-a-train/&do=findComment&comment=852209

There are many others, but if you wade through these 3 and need more ideas.....check out many of their followers, or I can offer more names.

Edited by Jaz