3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

A very good guess indeed!

It really is a big beast, as the body itself will use the same amount of plastic as one of my containers. It is currently split into 3 major sections: roof, body and chassis and is being designed to accept the correct Bachmann TF25 bogies. A few other parts like buffer heads and mounting pins will be separately printed items.

A similar perspective showing the other major components.

attachicon.gifTafoos 055.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

I see your making a drax biomass hopper now

Look forward to buying some any idea on price?

Lee

HSTFAN13

Edited by HSTFAN13

I see your making a drax biomass hopper now

Look forward to buying some any idea on price?

Lee

HSTFAN13

Hello Lee,

I am still investigating options for printing it but hopefully it can be done for about 40 or just under, including Bachmann bodies (without axles). One of the well known printing companies quoted me approximately £90 for the print due to its size and physical volume (60cm^3 of plastic approx) and I guess the other big company will cost about the same. I will post progress with the drax hopper when I know more. I see that there is also another prototype Biomass hopper now too, the smaller DB owned CGA capable of holding 100cm^3 of biomass, lets see if they catch on first.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Lee,

I am still investigating options for printing it but hopefully it can be done for about 40 or just under, including Bachmann bodies (without axles). One of the well known printing companies quoted me approximately £90 for the print due to its size and physical volume (60cm^3 of plastic approx) and I guess the other big company will cost about the same. I will post progress with the drax hopper when I know more. I see that there is also another prototype Biomass hopper now too, the smaller DB owned CGA capable of holding 100cm^3 of biomass, lets see if they catch on first.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi

Many thanks for your reply, I will be buying some when there done :)

Yes the CGA is converted from HTA coal Hoppers the first one was done in 2007 I think and the second one with different roof doors was done in 2012/13 and freightliner has one biomass wagon converted from a HHA wagon.

Maybe you could make just the roof doors(with opening rams) for Bachmann HTA/HHA wagons?

Lee

HSTFAN13

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Many thanks for your reply, I will be buying some when there done :)

Yes the CGA is converted from HTA coal Hoppers the first one was done in 2007 I think and the second one with different roof doors was done in 2012/13 and freightliner has one biomass wagon converted from a HHA wagon.

Maybe you could make just the roof doors(with opening rams) for Bachmann HTA/HHA wagons?

Lee

HSTFAN13

There is now another variant of DBS CGA biomass hopper - 310604 - It's a new body on a HTA chassis. looking very fifferent from a HTA, as it now has vertical instead of sloping ends and new bogies.

There is a picture on the demu forum and I can't copy it here I'm afraid, but here's the DBS press release.

Cheers,

Mick

There is now another variant of DBS CGA biomass hopper - 310604 - It's a new body on a HTA chassis. looking very fifferent from a HTA, as it now has vertical instead of sloping ends and new bogies.

There is a picture on the demu forum and I can't copy it here I'm afraid, but here's the DBS press release.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks mick :) I didn't know about that one.

Does anyone have a picture as I can't find one online?:(

Lee

HSTFAN13

• RMweb Premium

Thanks mick :) I didn't know about that one.

Does anyone have a picture as I can't find one online? :(

Lee

HSTFAN13

I'm also looking. In the meantime, I'll ask if I can re-post from demu.

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

So far, it’s great. Just stick to your original design and everything will be fine Wild Biar Fell. I bet you used ABS filaments. It’s stronger than other filaments materials, right? What was your approximate temperature setting for this project? I know, it’s not easy to make any fixed recommend temperature as printers do have individual characteristics so the temperature is only a guideline.

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your message, currently non of my models that have been made public use FDM or FFF (whichever name people prefer), mine tend to use industrial specification SLS, and Multijet machines which use polymers and resins respectively. So unfortunately I don't have much knowledge on machine set up for those unfortunately. The few items that I have had made by FDM have been made in PLA (A bio-degradable alternative to ABS) by another model kit manufacturer and unfortunately the sort of information you are after is corporate so they don't wish to make it public.

Apologies as I realise thats not much use to you.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Apologies for the lack of updates recently, however a fair bit has been going on behind the scene.

One element of this is that the first test etches have arrived for checking this week and in my opinion look great, especially the cast makers and instruction plates.

Having never had custom etches (other than a few fictitious nameplates for my shunters such as 'Lightning' for a Dapol/MR sentinel and 'Hunter' for my next shunter), I have turned to Narrow Planet as they also produced the nameplates, and I must say they have been extremely helpful in sorting these out and getting me a prototype. 

Currently I am assembling the production prototype which is now at the spraying stage, however disassembly seems to be going just as fast as assembly after clouting half the crane off the work bench mid-painting removed a few items (I think the spiders have claimed several parts that I couldn't find).

I will post pictures in due course once it is sprayed up.

Soon I will hopefully have several more containers drawn up (80's style) along with completing some 24.5t opens that I am designing for use on my next layout.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Hello Neil,

Apologies I should have made that a bit clearer in my previous post, the test etches and production prototype are of the crane, so ones I know what minor alterations  to make to the etches is full steam ahead to get them manufactured (they are the last part needed), and then its instructions and packaging and then they will be ready to go. 

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello AlfaZagato,

I currently don't have plans for Military wagons in N as I believe most are now available, the following may be of use,

Warwell (Origional Style) - Available from the NGS (I think?)

Warwell (As Modified) - Available from Shapeways (Alibuchan on RMweb did this)

Warflat (old style) - NGS I think?

Warflat (Modern KFA) - Available on Shapeways (Alibuchan again)

Ramp wagons - (Gramodels are developing one, Sallydog on here I think)

Parrot - County Rolling Stock

PFA and Sideloader - C-Rail

Not sure who does a Rectank if anyone does sorry (Maybe Gramodels again)

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Neil,

I haven't yet finished the painting on the crane but ones its got a decent coat on it I will grab some picture, the etched parts on the crane include the opening section of the cab roof (to make it easier to paint inside and to allow it to be posed open), the various hand wheels on the sides of the crane and bogies, the various instructions for the GWR cranes as well as all the different makers and built plates. Steps are also included for any of the cranes that had them fitted, and some bits of detailing for the side of the crabs.

Hope this helps,

post-13109-0-70589300-1398289056_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-51670400-1398289061_thumb.jpg

(This is the test etch to which a few small changes have now been made for the production ones which are now being made)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

Hello Neil,

Thanks for your post, I can't wait to see my one painted soon too.

On a completely different note, whilst looking at photos of some containers I discovered a set of photos that answer a question raised alot earlier in this thread,

What happened to the JNA built on the old PDUK Coil hoods (or maybe tank chassis), not the GERS 4400 ones?

Well it appears that instead of being scrapped, most of the open body has been removed and they appear to have become internal users in a steelworks (I am guessing probably TATA Scunthorpe but could be mistaken)

They appear to be a rake of 4 with only part of 1 end remaining on the outer ends of the 1st and 4th vehicles.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ews60002/6132582420/in/pool-uk-steel-industry-railways/

Would like to see someone build that set in model form.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Tainer Time!

I have now drawn up 5 different designs of 1980's style square ribbed containers based on photos I have been passed, all 5 have also now been demonstrated as shown below.

There are still a few issues to sort out on them including the 'floor' and warping on some, but they are getting their. These are the first prints I have shown publicly made on my new machine.

Enjoy,

post-13109-0-07447900-1399318085_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-04361500-1399318086_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-61108300-1399318083_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-25206400-1399318069_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-50075300-1399318067_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Not really an update, I was just browsing Chris Ward's website and spotted something I recognised on there now, the canopy at the bottom of the linked page,

www.cwrailways.com/bespoke-parts.html (normal statement, just a customer) is the same one that I featured earlier in this thread (his photos are a lot better than mine), These were made for my last layout (Wild Boar Fell) but I never finished the painting or assembly of the canopy which has passed to its new owner and I wish them the best of luck in assembling it.

I still need to think of what I can print for the new layout in planning, but wagon turntables keep springing to mind.

Anyway enough reminiscing from me.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Before anyone asks Chris does have permission to show off my design for his own use.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Ive been reading you thread for quite a while now, and Im really impressed with what you are making
I am more than tempted by a number of your creations and just need to save some funds!

I was thinking of having a go at maybe trying to create something myself, and was wondering how closely you have had to stick to the minimum wall thickness and other limits that the print companies state? As some of your details are very small and a number of things appear, to my eyes at least to be below the minimums they state? Is that the case, or have you just been super clever with your designs?

Thanks so much for your help!

Ben