A4's are coming home!

St. Simon

• RMweb Premium

They could have some problems getting Eisenhower uncoupled as she had the buffers in extended position but was coupled using the buckeyes when I was in Wisconsin five years ago!

• 3 weeks later...

Lets' hope they don't do a 70012 when unloading it in the UK................

Cheers,

Mick

AFAIK they're on low-loaders, as they're coming over on a Ro-Ro ship, rather than in a 'conventional' ship's hold, so no crane work on/off the ship at the docks...

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Re a paint job, noticed the Shine and reflection on the vids, and why have they sheeted it over for dispatch ?. It appears the Yanks have done the paint job, With their attitude don't think they would send over a 'washed out' looking loco.I wondered when/why this loco got its name, ?. I understand England had little knowledge of Eisenhower prior to him coming to England, apparently a desk bound logistics soldier, eventually made Supreme Allied Commander in 1943, well after the USA entered the European war.

Just found the answer, Originally named 'Golden Shuttle' ,?.then changed to D.D.E. in Sept 1945,after it was over. Will be a wonderful sight to see six out of the 34 passed into BR service but one must question could the money this will cost not have been spent more wisely on preservation.?. The second question is, would the money stated as being raised by donations, be forthcoming, if used for routine preservation ?. Beeman.

Archived