A4's are coming home!

St. Simon

Hi,

Just Saw this exciting news come up on the Steam Railway Facebook page, the NRM are to brng A4's 60008 and 60010 from there homes in USA and Canada, back to the UK in time for the 75th Anniversary of Mallards record breaking run:

Fresh from the NRM:

NATIONAL RAILWAY MUSEUM TO REPATRIATE A4s FROM US AND CANADA

The National Railway Museum can today confirm that a formal agreement has been reached with transatlantic colleagues to temporarily repatriate two A4 class locomotives to play a part in the celebrations to mark the 75th anniversary of Mallard’s world record breaking 126mph run down Stoke Bank on 3 July 1938.

Exporail..., the Canadian National Railway Museum in Montreal, has agreed to release 60008 Dominion of Canada, and the National Railroad Museum, Green Bay, Wisconsin, will release 60010 Dwight D Eisenhower. Both locomotives will be loaned to the National Railway Museum for two years.

Steve Davies, Director of the National Railway Museum, said: “I am delighted that the two museums involved have shared in the National Railway Museum’s vision to make this happen and I have no doubt that what is being planned will be beneficial to all parties.â€

The two locomotives concerned will be a central feature of a series of events being planned to mark this historic anniversary and full details of these events are still to be finalised. Discussions with the owners of the privately owned UK based locomotives are being conducted in order to generate a number of line up opportunities involving all six A4s at a number of locations, of which York will be the principal venue.

The movement of the locomotives is currently being planned with the intention of drawing on direct industry sponsorship for much of the activity involved. It is hoped that both locomotives will be moved in autumn 2012.

Simon

Sounds great, does anyone know if that includes the cosmetic restoration or possibly more? I don't think they should be permanently returned as they were gifts from our country to theirs, seems wrong to take them back.

Defintely one to see, maybe even get Mallard steaming, even on a temporary boiler ticket like before. Does anyone know the current state of Mallard? She's been pretty much dormant since '88, however they were allowed to tow her to Shildon and back.

(Can we see them all in garter blue? That would be the icing on the cake!)
I was thinking more of did they carry six different liveries to do them all different?

LNER Silver

LNER Garter Blue

Wartime Black

BR Blue

BR Green

? Is there A.N. Other ?

LNER apple green as applied to some A4's? that'd be nice, but then is it right?

i mean you wouldnt expect the guy in the USA to borrow, say,

Mallard and repaint it would you? so Br green will do fine. for many it'll be a once in a lifetime chance to see the locos.

Ah, a pair of WR performers, he noted, selfishly.

Could be useful awareness-raisers as the northern section rebuild along the Gala water gets into its stride over the next two years. I can feel a suitably dressed WRHA sales stand presence at a few more functions in the future...

Shame they're not permanent over here.....One could have been rebuilt into a second A3. :P

No, under a veil of secrecy one will be transformed into the rebuilt form of 10000, the other into the second batch form of the P2 class. When the Americans and Canadians start asking for them back, we just shrug and say "they've gone - see for yourselves".

We could just say we already gave them back and suggest they double check their loco collection.

"Dagnabbit, Elmer, those Brits said we could have our loco back if we can find it, but I've searched high and low. What did you say the name was again?"

"Dwight D Eisenhower."

"'Ike' of course, how could I forget? Well I've 'ike'd over this yard six times, looked in every shed and I can't find "our" engine. All they've got is this silly thing called "Golden Shuttle", I mean what kind of stoopid name is that?"

"Looks like we'll just have to go back empty-handed."

• RMweb Premium

"Dagnabbit, Elmer, those Brits said we could have our loco back if we can find it, but I've searched high and low. What did you say the name was again?"

"Dwight D Eisenhower."

"'Ike' of course, how could I forget? Well I've 'ike'd over this yard six times, looked in every shed and I can't find "our" engine. All they've got is this silly thing called "Golden Shuttle", I mean what kind of stoopid name is that?"

"Looks like we'll just have to go back empty-handed."

"We'll just take this one named after Mallard Fillmore instead"

• RMweb Premium

Back where they belong!

In a museum? :jester:

It'd be nice to see the other surviving LNER pacifics to the line up too. Could look rather impressive.

I hope there's an excuss to do the same with the LMS 4-6-2s at some point.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I hope there's an excuss to do the same with the LMS 4-6-2s at some point.

It happened in 2005 at Crewe Works open weekend when 6201, (4)6203, (4)6229 and 6233 appeared together with 71000 for good measure. Only (4)6235 was missing but that will never see light of day again I feel.

Photo of the 4 LMS locos with the Dukes tender just sneaking in http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=206871&nseq=41

• 5 months later...

A genuine 1960s (Crewe) paint job - its a shame to repaint it.

I thought I read on the facebook page it was 'cosmetically restored' by some expats about 10 years ago?

M:)

Dissapointed Eisenhower is going up through Canada to make the journey. Would have liked to see her off somewhere near my home in Northern Vriginia. Honestly, if you could get her steaming again, I'd prefer she stay were she is appreciated. She just collects dust up in Wisconsin, not even kept in great condition. Sadly, us Americans don't appreciate these works of art the way we should. Enjoy her for the two years.

Archived