What DCC Controller would you recommend for O Gauge

NSE DAZ

Hi all,

I am after a bit of advice of which controller to purchase for my new O Gauge venture? The controller would have to be a DCC one enough to run several O gauge locos with sound at one time.

The future plans is to exhibit the layout so it would need to be a controller that is quite flexible and robust?

So the question is what are you guys using or what would you recommend?

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

Edited by NSE DAZ

Daz

Im using the Gaugemaster prodigy advance Wireless which would be great for exhibition purposes thats why I bought it.

Its very easy to use nice controls.

But my favorite controller by far is the ZTC controller only problem is the functions on it or lack of them only 8 when I sold mine.

If they where to update it with at least 30 functions to cover all sound eventualities then I would consider buying another one.

I have also used the Zimo wireless controller and this is very good as well, The wireless would be a benefit for exhibition purposes.

The Prodigy is good value for money as well.

.......enough to run several O gauge locos with sound at one time.

The future plans is to exhibit the layout so it would need to be a controller that is quite flexible and robust?

Hi Darren,

Several O gauge + sound .... depending on exactly how many is meant by "several" and the locos involved, that could mean a requirement for plenty of current.

Depending on the motors and the weight being moved around, O gauge locos may be able to comfortably run with higher rated 00/H0 sized sound decoders, but there's also the possibility of needing more powerful decoders designed specially for O and large scale use.

You are probably going to need a system with at least a 5 amp capability, but if there are many locos, there's an outside chance of needing 8 amps or more.

Key question: Would you prefer console operation, walk-around handsets or wireless handsets ?

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Cheers guy's many thanks for your response, when I say several it will be at this moment in time 4 Loco's PRMRP class 50 with 4 coaches Peter Clark's class 205 Thumper a Heljan Class 47 with 4 coaches and soon a Peter Clark's VEP but the fleet will expand over time, the above will all have sound units plus smoke units to all except the VEP.

I would prefer a walk-around hand set, not been a fan of wireless systems may sound strange but I am a strange person. :jester:

Gaugemaster prodigy advance Wireless system sounds good just the wireless bit that puts me off, in the fact loss of signal ect.. or is this not an issue with this controller? :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

ECoS system I will check this out :yes:

Thanks for your help

Darren NSE DAZ

Wireless as in operating using radio signals, not infrared, does not suffer from loss of signal unless you wander out of range and the wireless handset for the ECoS has quite a good range to it. So there are no line of sight issues etc you have with infrared.

Why don't you like wireless, are you getting infrared and radio signal sets mixed up. I find my ECoS radio control to be very good and allows me to get up and close to the stock when and where I need to without worrying about tripping over cables that always seemed to be on the wrong side of me as i turned around, moved etc.

Dont know much about Gaugemaster Prodigy but if the handset operates using radio signals and not infrared it should work ok and not suffer loss of signal.

I have JLTRT with ABC motor bogies, Easy Build DMU with ABC power bogies and Heljan locos with their standard fit motors etc on my O gauge layout and have had four locos moving with sound on all at once. With no problems. Looking at the power meter in the ECoS as it all happens shows I still have power available to run more.

Just looked at the specification for the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advanced 2 and the max current supply from the set is 3.5 amps which is getting well towards what you will need to operate the list of locos all at once. So may be think about getting a booster as well or looking at another make.

Cheers two tone green,

Yes I am a numpty I was getting infrared and radio signal sets mixed up :jester: Just looking at the fleet you are running and you say it still has power available to run more, sounds like the controller for me :locomotive:

I have done a couple of searches the cheapest I can find the ESU ECoS 50200 for is £565 I think this is a fair price?

Thanks for your help with this,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

The price seems ok but do be sure its what you want. There are other options as well such as Digitrax, Lenz and others.

Do look around before spending what is a reasonable amount of money as you may find that one of the other systems may be better suited and 'cheaper' initially and build your system as your layout grows.

Worth a moment or two of thought before pushing the buy button

The price seems ok but do be sure its what you want. There are other options as well such as Digitrax, Lenz and others.

Do look around before spending what is a reasonable amount of money as you may find that one of the other systems may be better suited and 'cheaper' initially and build your system as your layout grows.

Worth a moment or two of thought before pushing the buy button

Cheers two tone green,

Yes I will try and see one in the flesh first, but it looks a good system :sungum:

Thanks for your help,

Cheers Darren NSE DAZ

• RMweb Gold

The ECoS may well suit your needs, but do remember, as twotonegreen has pointed out, that there are others that might also supply the requisite power - and feel completely different in use.

DCC systems, unlike a DC power-pack, really consist of three separate components - even though in many cases, e.g. the ECoS, two or more are in one unit. There are the "clever bit" or command station, which generates the DCC information packets; the booster, of which you can have more than one, which puts out the power on the rails, and is the critical component for running many or bigger trains; and the throttle, which actually controls the chosen loco. How these components are put together is entirely at the whim of the designer - as long as the output is DCC, any DCC-equipped loco will perform at its best. Throttles, for example, may be handheld or on a desk unit. They may use buttons to increase and decrease power, have knobs, or sliders. You will find one of these more to your liking than the others, probably.

So do look at the other manufacturers. My impression is that the US systems are strong on handheld walkaround throttles, while some of the European systems tend more towards a control centre with more on-screen info. Only a close exam of what is out there will help you to buy the best kit for your purpose - and based upon my experience, your DCC system will be with you for many years, so getting the best one for you is essential.

• Like 2

Ive had no problems with loosing a signal when using the Prodigy. Ive even been in a different room altogether and it still works fine.

Radio wireless no line of sight required.

Ive also ran three locos with sound with no issues. Back when I had the model shop I had a chat with the gaugemaster Rep about the additional boosters thinking that using O gauge that i would need one, He said that he hasnt come across any one who had needed the extra power and so I havent bothered with any boosters yet.

I suppose it would depend on the size of the layout.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

It's has now been 5 months and I stil have not choosen a controller as yet :no: as some of you will be aware I now have a couple of loco's in my fleet so really do need to purchase a controller :senile:

I am glad I did not jump into purchasing the ESU ECoS 50200 even though this works fantastically I seen and tried one but just did not like the feel of the unit, I can not put my finger on what was wrong but it did not feel right to me (As mentioned a fantastic bit of kit but not for me)

The reason I am dragging this post up once more is that I would like to know what you guy's think about the Lenz SET100 DCC controller system :scratchhead:I have used one very briefly and was quite impressed basic but got the job done :senile:

Have you guy's any idea on a price for this unit, and what extras would I need to run a fleet of 7mm stock boosters ect....

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

The 'interface' is the crucial bit as far as I am concerned. Tried what was available ten years ago, and the Lenz 100 happened to be the one that just 'fitted' for me. The real beauty is the small handset which can be operated in one hand alone, without looking at it, exactly as you drive a car without looking at the accelerator or brake pedal. Your eyes and other hand are free. You watch the trains not the control screen, your other hand holds a pint or a coupling pole.

Also from Lenz: rock solid reliability, full expandibility of current supply, handsets etc., extremely well written manual which literally covers 'everything'. If I had to replace my system, I would go straight out and buy it again.

The upgrade I would like is voice control of loco selection, because for that you do have to look at the handset. Perfectly possible, but the investment to do it perhaps not there in the present financial climate?

• RMweb Gold

My own personal opinion would be the NCE PowerPro system as I have tried the Lenz handset and found it a bit lacking.

The NCE cab was much more intuitive.

Again this is only my opinion!!

I wouldn't worry about not actually buying a controller as yet, don't let the fact you have trains to run make you buy something in a rush.

In my opinion more time taken to get the correct controller is priceless!!

As you have now found out you really do need to get hands on with DCC systems, this is always said as no two people are the same.

It seems from reading your post that you actually prefer the cab style hand set.

There are a number of Cab type systems out there to try.

Lenz 5amp £293 (may need booster)

NCE 10amp PowerPro £450

Digitrax Super chief Xtra 8amp start set £344

To name but a few!

As you've used the Lenz set, all cabs are pretty much the same(That's a bit too generic I know) differences being those with a rotary control knob, push buttons, thumb wheel or a combination of all of these for speed control.

Then you have the amount of information on the LCD display, is it too much, too little, easy to understand and follow?

I would go to the makers web sites and read the instruction manuals for each cab, if you can follow them easily enough that's one big plus point, it also gives you as a potential user the information you may want in the future.

For instance, read the manuals on operating functions even the higher function numbers!

(Having a Hornby Elite on V1.3 firmware you realise that if the functions are a huge long sequences of button presses you stop using the functions!! I can only thank Hornby for at long last updating to V1.4 firmware it's like having a completely different controller!)

Changing the address, long/short, setting up motor control parameters and adjusting other settings all become part of the user experience and until you actually try these things you don't really know what to try out.

The things you will do most often I would say need to be easily accessed and changed.

If you have sound and smoke how easy difficult will it be to operate the functions??

Hopefully a few pointers to help you. good luck with your choice!

Cheers

Ian

Hi all,

It's has now been 5 months and I stil have not choosen a controller as yet :no: as some of you will be aware I now have a couple of loco's in my fleet so really do need to purchase a controller :senile:

I am glad I did not jump into purchasing the ESU ECoS 50200 even though this works fantastically I seen and tried one but just did not like the feel of the unit, I can not put my finger on what was wrong but it did not feel right to me (As mentioned a fantastic bit of kit but not for me)

The reason I am dragging this post up once more is that I would like to know what you guy's think about the Lenz SET100 DCC controller system :scratchhead:I have used one very briefly and was quite impressed basic but got the job done :senile:

Have you guy's any idea on a price for this unit, and what extras would I need to run a fleet of 7mm stock boosters ect....

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

Edited by traction

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Lenz set 90 with a Compact as a slave - not everyone's cup of tea but that suits my needs. Having not built my layout yet I don't know whether I'll need a booster for the 2 locos that are likely to be running together at any given time.

Are there any shops nearby where you can try several sets to see what you like the most? I know that Digitrains near Lincoln have a number of sets connected to their test track - although it's N and OO - but it's really the feel of the set and the ease of operation that matters in this case and I'm sure they could recommend something suitable for the right amount of power needed for O gauge. No other connection apart from being a satisfied customer.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just building an O gauge shunting plank, approx. 6ft by 1ft 3". The maximum number of small shunting locos (0-4-0 or 0-6-0 tanks) on the layout at any one time would be 3, all sound fitted. What maximum current rating would I need? I am looking for a low cost solution (if possible)!

I currently have a Lenz 100 5amp set up but that is on another layout and it is not exactly convenient to move it.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Do you want hand held Like the Lenz set or console type?

For O gauge sound fitted I'm guessing you will need more power than any of the 1amp starter sets.

As you want it cheap I would seriously look at the new ACE from Sig-na Track:-

New DCC controller "ACE" from Sig-na Trak

Released on 20th Jan.

Why, because of the full touch screen with all 28 function buttons showing, making easy function operation.

Also has a 3.5amp power supply, which is I'm guessing what you will need.

Further expansion is on it's way, being a new system Fraser the designer is open to suggestions on things that you would like to make it better or more suitable to you.

Obviously I don't have one  connected to it in any way, but it does seem like a very good solution.

There are other systems out there but you did mention cheap, and as you've got sound this does look like it will be the easiest system to operate all 28 functions, in my opinion.

Depends on what you prefer in the way of controllers.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

We are a few years on from the original post and technology has advanced quite a bit as we all know.   I am about to start looking for a hand held wireless control system myself for my O gauge layout. probably have 3/4 locos sound switched in at any one time for a layout 24x4 ft.  Does anyone have any system that they use that they would recommend or advise to take a look at ?

Many thanks for any help/advice,

Mark

Depends whether you want to use a computer. A Sprog3 with a 15V supply may provide sufficient power. This will be controlled by JMRI software running on a computer with the 'Engine Driver' app running on a smartphone to give you hand-held control. I use a similar system (but for 00) and find it easier to use than my neighbour's NCE system, which he likes.

The general advice (pre-covid) is to visit a shop selling a variety of systems to see them demonstrated.

On 19/11/2020 at 19:41, grriff said:

Depends whether you want to use a computer. A Sprog3 with a 15V supply may provide sufficient power. This will be controlled by JMRI software running on a computer with the 'Engine Driver' app running on a smartphone to give you hand-held control. I use a similar system (but for 00) and find it easier to use than my neighbour's NCE system, which he likes.

The general advice (pre-covid) is to visit a shop selling a variety of systems to see them demonstrated.

Thank you Grriff, I'm not really too bothered about using a computer.  I do think what you suggest  will probably be the best way forward or join a local MRC and see how and what they use. Hopefully one day soon......

I love my Roco Z21.  A 3.2 amp system with wireless control, operated using your smart phone or a tablet - I use both.  Friends can join in too using their own smart phone or tablet.  With it you can also draw your layout plan on screen if you wish, and operate turnouts and accessories by touch control  - but you don't have to, that's optional as a conventional mimic panel can still be used.  

There are numerous connections allowing connection of a host of different handheld units if required, supports feedback control, accessory decoders and even secondary DCC systems, also supports additional boosters if you need more power than the 3.2A provided. 

All in all a very robust bit of kit that just works.  

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Kettlewell said:

I love my Roco Z21.  A 3.2 amp system with wireless control, operated using your smart phone or a tablet - I use both.  Friends can join in too using their own smart phone or tablet.  With it you can also draw your layout plan on screen if you wish, and operate turnouts and accessories by touch control  - but you don't have to, that's optional as a conventional mimic panel can still be used.  

There are numerous connections allowing connection of a host of different handheld units if required, supports feedback control, accessory decoders and even secondary DCC systems, also supports additional boosters if you need more power than the 3.2A provided. 

All in all a very robust bit of kit that just works.  

Cheers ... Alan

Many thanks Alan,   I am wanting to keep it simple but I am thinking that in the not too distant future, it could be deemed that using a smartphone or tablet will simply be "keeping it simple" as the hobby progresses with future technology.  I am not wanting to overload myself attempting to understand things as it easy to get bogged down or over think something that is quite easy.  I will give this system some serious thought. 

• Like 1