EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

0***p appears to have a very very large max bid in place 6***w has been chipping away at it... but....if you look at sellers other items....a lot of them are suspiciously high prices....like a pair of Hornby 37s way up high with similar bidding wars from low score bidders.......something smells fishy here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2255-EWS-Co-Co-Diesel-Electric-Class-37-Locomotive-Train-Set/393196606023?hash=item5b8c581247:g:7ucAAOSwkSZgUMxR

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, pheaton said:

0***p appears to have a very very large max bid in place 6***w has been chipping away at it... but....if you look at sellers other items....a lot of them are suspiciously high prices....like a pair of Hornby 37s way up high with similar bidding wars from low score bidders.......something smells fishy here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2255-EWS-Co-Co-Diesel-Electric-Class-37-Locomotive-Train-Set/393196606023?hash=item5b8c581247:g:7ucAAOSwkSZgUMxR

Agreed, perhaps take a look and see who the winning bidders were on their previous items (based on who left feedback, often within minutes of the listing ending).  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I do like a good conspiracy theory.

How about artificially inflating the perceived value of certain items that you have several of stashed away by holding a public but bogus auction? 

As soon as the hammer drops, both parties agree to cancel the sale, no eBay fees and positive feedback left by both parties.

Once your bandwagon is rolling, out come the other items which will be snapped up by genuine buyers whilst they think they can still afford one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

I remember him from when I were a kid etc.

How have we managed to live so long without a set of those in our lives? 

On the rare occasion that there is alcohol in this house it doesn't last long enough to go into a decanter.

It would be great if those labels read:

TITTER.     YE.    NOT.

• Funny 8

2 hours ago, pheaton said:

Someone's getting played??

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andy WD said:

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum....don't titter missus....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Francis-Howard-Ltd-Silver-Drink-Decanter-Labels-Rum-Whisky-Sherry/313458041131?hash=item48fb8e212b:g:uPAAAOSwUNZgUdyE

I must be getting old. Senile flashback moment with the name! :D

Make the chains a little longer to fit over a drinker's head. Thus your pretty 'dangler' would name your poison to the bar staff, all you'd have to do is hand over the dosh!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Make the chains a little longer to fit over a drinker's head. Thus your pretty 'dangler' would name your poison to the bar staff, all you'd have to do is hand over the dosh!

Is that why people have jewellery or tattoos with their names on?

For those grim mornings when they wake up in a hedge and can't remember who the hell they are?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

For those grim mornings when they wake up in a hedge and can't remember who the hell they are?

I've been known to wake up looking like a hedge! :drink_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

To quote the latest Shreddies cereal box: "He Who Squares Wins"??

I once convinced someone that Dafuq is an actual place rather than a question you ask yourself whilst browsing eBay.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

47 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Pretty sure that's why we had ID cards and dog tags.... :drink_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254851829678

Thick end of £20 for an unboxed Dapol PO wagon? With THOSE lovely neat unobtrusive couplings. 

What intrigued me is the not very well peeled off price label. 

Exhibition? Swap meet? Car boot?

Do we think that it was £5 or £7? That's about the pre lockdown going rate.

Obviously can't read the small print on the cab side either.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Railway-R2135M-0-6-0-LMS-Class-3F-Limited-Edition-1999-good-runner-rare/265062661375?hash=item3db6f73cff:g:s6kAAOSw87ZgMtqK

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It needs to be if you've found one of those and want to dig it up without being noticed.

Bloody hard work if you don't realise how deep they go.

I haven't tried liberating a GWR one, I remember that the MR ones went about three feet into the ground and had a bolt about eighteen inches long through the bottom end so that you can't just pull them out.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I once found a piece of GWR broad gauge rail in the ground at the side of an old railway line, previously used as a support for a sign of some sort, and thought I'd liberate it. Although maybe only about 4 foot long, it came out of the ground quite easily but I soon went off the idea when it came to lifting  and carrying it a couple of miles to the car!

Mike.

• Like 6