Bath Queen Square

queensquare

Just to be clear Jerry, I think your weathering is just fine, and no I don't think black is appropriate: the picture I posted quite clearly shows the colour is much more brown than black; a lot of what looks even totally black is actually shadow on the very dark brown.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

With Kim working at Glastonbury (couldn't do this year due to lack of dog sitters) I've made the most of being home alone to crack on with the scenery. Tonight's job, accompanied by the Foo Fighters tearing up the Pyramid stage,

Just the best set ever....! :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Is it going to have a Keep on top? Castle Aching in 2mm!

Tim

I've taken the angles of the slope and general shape from a fabulous picture of Camerton I have although it is tempting just to stick a flag on top and be done with it!

I've been down and had another look at it this morning and the shape needs softening to make it more conical like the one that still dominates the skyline at Farrrington Gurney - at the moment it owes a bit too much to the Pyramid stage!!

Jerry

Just the best set ever....! :sungum:

Was on the phone with Kim in the early hours this morning and she caught the end of the Foo Fightrs set including the fireworks. She had been over to Avalon stage to see Steve Harley and took in a bit of the Jacksons on West Holts stage on her way back . Oh the joys of Glasto, I'll be back to in 2019.

Jerry

Edited as it's Camerton not Cameroon as automatic spell check had it!!

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With Kim working at Glastonbury (couldn't do this year due to lack of dog sitters) I've made the most of being home alone to crack on with the scenery. Tonight's job, accompanied by the Foo Fighters tearing up the Pyramid stage, was to rough out the new batch for the Colliery. I wasn't sure what thread to put this in, particularly as I use these threads as a diary of progress, but opted for Bath as Foxcote, (ne Highbury) is now part of the home layout.

Anyway, lumps of insulation offcuts (donated by 2mmMark) were hot glued together and then hacked about with a combination of a panel saw, a bread knife and one of those little flexible grapefruit knives which is proving very useful for this type of work.

I'm pretty happy with the rough shape and size although more carving is required.

attachicon.gifIMG_1354.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1350.JPG

Jerry

Pleased to be of service. I believe the foam is Knauf loft insulation, I got it from a friend of mine who's an aeromodeller, knew that we used it for scenery  and "did I want the offcuts"?  They filled the back of my Mondeo estate!

I think it's a bit more workable than the Dow Corning "Floormate" I used on British Oak.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Well Ed Sheeran has closed down the festival, kim's in the queue to get out of the car park and the period of rapid progress must come to an end. This afternoon, whilst bopping to Disco classics from the brother Gibb and the fantastic Chic, I roughed out the Midland storage sidings using some 2FS points and old Peco track - there's rock and roll!

The curved line around the back is inside Combe Down/Devonshire tunnels and will be hidden. The fiddle yard itself will have a removable lid, the top of which will be scenicked.

The Midland is hard against the backscene on the right, hidden under the embankment behind the S&D before dipping under it. the left hand line in the MR yard will lead to a sector plate which will be set up when a full operating session is in progress -assuming I live long enough to build the stock! The next line is a cassette capable of taking small trains but principally for changing/turning locos, including double headers. There are then a bank of sidings, the longest of which is just over 3', enough for a six coach express.

For those who know the S&D bank out of Bath, the siding half way up is the Co-op siding. That just visible at bottom right is May's siding, serving the brickworks.

post-1074-0-82931200-1498431831_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-97188100-1498431930_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you've been busy Jerry. From what you say are all the tracks in that corner hidden/offscene ? If so wouldn't a couple of scenic breaks so the whole corner could be open but screened from either side be easier to use. I am assuming you would be making/breaking Midland trains i that corner.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you've been busy Jerry. From what you say are all the tracks in that corner hidden/offscene ? If so wouldn't a couple of scenic breaks so the whole corner could be open but screened from either side be easier to use. I am assuming you would be making/breaking Midland trains i that corner.

Don

I don't want the area open as it would visually jar. A feature of the prototype here is the great bulk of Combe Down which the S&D climbed from both sides before burrowing under it and I want to reproduce that. As I said above the Midland sidings will be covered with a scenic lid which can be removed for access during full operating sessions. The bulk of the time, when operating on my own, I will simply be running trains up and down the S&D and I want trains to disappear under the hill.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't want the area open as it would visually jar. A feature of the prototype here is the great bulk of Combe Down which the S&D climbed from both sides before burrowing under it and I want to reproduce that. As I said above the Midland sidings will be covered with a scenic lid which can be removed for access during full operating sessions. The bulk of the time, when operating on my own, I will simply be running trains up and down the S&D and I want trains to disappear under the hill.

Jerry

I take your point Jerry. I assume therefore the sector plate you mention will only be in place for a full operating session. It is always a compromise fitting in the storage sidings.

Don

I suspect what Jerry is getting at is that the Midland storage roads will act more like American-style "staging tracks" from which a set sequence of trains depart and arrive. Only once the operating sequence is completed will it be necessary to open up and access the tracks to reverse the trains for the next sequence to begin. This would suit Bath's Midland Railway end-to-end operation well. Quite different from British-style "fiddle yards" in which trains are dealt with individually. 

Edited by Phil Copleston

• RMweb Gold

I suspect what Jerry is getting at is that the Midland storage roads will act more like American-style "staging tracks" from which a set sequence of trains depart and arrive. Only once the operating sequence is completed will it be necessary to open up and access the tracks to reverse the trains for the next sequence to begin. This would suit Bath's Midland Railway end-to-end operation well. Quite different from British-style "fiddle yards" in which trains are dealt with individually.

Phil is pretty much spot on with this. The inspiration for the Midland storage comes from JBSs Ashburton where the hidden sidings are under the hillside at the back of the layout. John runs a fairly tight sequence on Ashburton with all the roads allocated a set train - fiddleing is fairly minimal and largely confined to either end of the sequence. The only thing I've found when working Ashburton is that access can at times be a little awkward, particularly with my fat little hands - hence the removable 'scenic ' lid. That said, Combe Down is pretty high so there will be much more head (or hand) room available.

As I said before, most casual running will be up and down the S&D which is scenic all the way. The Midland will only really be used when running a sequence with other operators as , after Bath Junction, it's completely out of site.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Rather like the main Buckingham storage yard; that remained completely untouched, just needing to be turned from time to time.

Dave.

PS,  Jerry, I know I've seen a trackplan (or intended trackplan) of the whole layout, but I can't find it now.  Please can you enlighten me?

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Gold

Rather like the main Buckingham storage yard; that remained completely untouched, just needing to be turned from time to time.

Dave.

PS, Jerry, I know I've seen a trackplan (or intended trackplan) of the whole layout, but I can't find it now. Please can you enlighten me?

Hi Dave,

I'm in the process of redrawing the trackplan at the moment to take into account the inclusion of the Colliery. When I've done that I will post a copy.

If you look on page two of the thread there is a picture of the Bath side which shows most of that side of the room and page 5 has some pictures which outline the arrangement at the end of the room.

Hope that helps,

Jerry

Edited by queensquare