Bath Queen Square

queensquare

Here's a snap I took of Jerry's imposing Bath Queensquare station building last weekend (during Larkrail) to illustrate the point. It may be over twenty five years old, but it is a magnificent model and "certainly sets the whole scene and purpose for making the rest of the layout".

attachicon.gif20170714_200307 (enhanced).jpg

Thanks Phil, as you say, a magnificent model.

The overall roof looks to be etched. When I made the 4mm version it was a real labour of love but in 2mm, well, what can I say ? Superb stuff.

Grahame

Edited by bgman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil, as you say, a magnificent model.

The overall roof looks to be etched. When I made the 4mm version it was a real labour of love but in 2mm, well, what can I say ? Superb stuff.

Grahame

Indeed magnificent. I believe that Jerry scratch built it Grahame.

Indeed magnificent. I believe that Jerry scratch built it Grahame.

John,

I understand that Jerry scratchbuilt his original 'Mark 1' overall roof out of plastikard. It was good. But not quite good enough for Jerry. So years later he replaced this with a much more finesse version fizzed up from specially commissioned etchings - as per the one you see in my photo.

Potential disaster struck when a year or two ago one of Jerry's labrador dogs sat on it, but fortunately the damage wasn't terminal (pun intended!) and he was able to effect repairs. Also, Jerry has had the roof support cast-iron columns cast in whitemetal copied from the originals. Superb! 

All-in-all this is quite magnificent work by Jerry. I am inspired every time I am ushered in to take a peek at recent progress on this 2-mil magnum opus. 

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The roof was built using some scratch - aid etches from Bill Bedford. There are more details and several pictures of its construction starting on page 3 of this thread.

The original roof was plasticard which, as well as being less accurate and detailed as its replacement also went very brittle due to the UV getting at the plasticard which I never got round to painting.

And Phil's almost correct about the dogs - but it was two that jumped on it rather than one that sat!! I'd loaded the roof on the jig board it was built on into the back of the car ready to go and give a talk. A series of events conspired such that the back of the car and the back gate to the house were open. The dogs spotted this and came charging out and leapt into the back of the car thinking it was time for a walk - landing squarely on top of the roof which promptly took on the shape of a twinV engine. I could have cried. It wasn't the dogs fault it was mine as I hadn't got round to making a carry box for the roof - a hundred hours or so work up the Swanny :-((

It wasn't a total disaster as I still had all the jigs it was built in so I could unsolder all the bits, straighten them out, and put them all back together - and make a strong, dog proof carry box!!

Lesson learnt !!

post-1074-0-21844500-1500969320_thumb.jpg

The guilty parties - left right - Mr Pooh (who played no part in the roof insident), Jelly and Jazz

Jerry

• Like 4

Here's a snap I took of Jerry's imposing Bath Queensquare station building last weekend (during Larkrail) to illustrate the point. It may be over twenty five years old, but it is a magnificent model and "certainly sets the whole scene and purpose for making the rest of the layout".

attachicon.gif20170714_200307 (enhanced).jpg

A great overview pic showing very impressive architectural modelling. Just a shame it falls in to the same category as Copenhagen Fields - a lifetimes development.

I hope that my efforts in N/2mm in attempting a London Bridge representation (not an exact scale model as there will/is a lot of compression and simplification) can get a little near the quality and finesse of BQS. Time might also be a factor as I've only started on some of the local buildings.

G.

My efforts in 4mm of the same station which I suspect you've seen Jerry .....

post-20303-0-24002600-1500980924_thumb.jpeg

post-20303-0-08116600-1500980880_thumb.jpeg

post-20303-0-03563000-1500980842_thumb.jpeg

The main overall roof was built up from etches too, made in 2 separate pieces in order to fit into a rather confined space for its owner.

Grahame

• Like 11

The roof was built using some scratch - aid etches from Bill Bedford. There are more details and several pictures of its construction starting on page 3 of this thread.

The original roof was plasticard which, as well as being less accurate and detailed as its replacement also went very brittle due to the UV getting at the plasticard which I never got round to painting.

And Phil's almost correct about the dogs - but it was two that jumped on it rather than one that sat!! I'd loaded the roof on the jig board it was built on into the back of the car ready to go and give a talk. A series of events conspired such that the back of the car and the back gate to the house were open. The dogs spotted this and came charging out and leapt into the back of the car thinking it was time for a walk - landing squarely on top of the roof which promptly took on the shape of a twinV engine. I could have cried. It wasn't the dogs fault it was mine as I hadn't got round to making a carry box for the roof - a hundred hours or so work up the Swanny :-((

It wasn't a total disaster as I still had all the jigs it was built in so I could unsolder all the bits, straighten them out, and put them all back together - and make a strong, dog proof carry box!!

Lesson learnt !!

The guilty parties - left right - Mr Pooh (who played no part in the roof insident), Jelly and Jazz

Jerry

Thanks for the clarification, Jerry. I suspected I probably hadn't got the details - only the jist - of the story right! Lovely shot of the guilty parties (plus an innocent Mr. Pooh) too, even though it wasn't really their faults. More animal and veg garden pics on this thread please!  :tomato:

BTW, I keep my Millie Pooh and Tilly Pooh well away from my modelling efforts...  even though Millie often kips on my workroom swivel chair. Awww bless.  :angel:

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My efforts in 4mm of the same station which I suspect you've seen Jerry .....

The main overall roof was built up from etches too, made in 2 separate pieces in order to fit into a rather confined space for its owner.

Grahame

Thanks for posting the pics Grahame. Yes I've seen it many times, a fabulous model. It still amazes me how Mary allowed him to put a hole through the wall from the railway room into the guest bedroom in order to fit it in!!

Jerry

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-1074-0-94482500-1506200864_thumb.jpg

I have a very exciting set of test etches I'm itching to get started on but, as I've mentioned in a previous post, I am determined to get at least some of the projects I already have on the go finished. So, just to dispel the myth that I don't paint anything, here is a dodgy snap of a couple of locos that have been nearly finished for some time.

Jerry

• Like 14

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

More evidence of things being painted.

Steady on Jerry, not sure I can get used to this 'things being painted' business! 

I'll miss the S & D J R 'brass' livery!

Tom. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Steady on Jerry, not sure I can get used to this 'things being painted' business! 

Tom.

Don't worry Tom, unless they run light engine there is still plenty of scope for 'brass' livery!

Jerry

• Like 3

Tom. 

Not to fret, Tom. Mr Greenwood still has a nice King Arthur in special North Cornwall SR 'gold livery' to keep the 'never finish anything' faith alive.  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice... but could really use a sort of greyish white backcloth - would be v.festive then.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Regards, Andy

Thanks Andy,

You're right, the snowy,- (plaster!), scenics don't really go with the high summer backscene!

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas Jerry. That's a great shot. It is nice to see a long frieght train. It would make a nice snow scene but you would have to change the backscene  :nono: .

Don

edit wrote that a 7.30 this morning but did press the end pressed it just now only to find it now follows others Doh!

Edited by Donw

It's a job to know which of my threads to attach these pictures to. I recently made a batch of couplings so was able to finish off a stack of wagons which had been awaiting DGs for a while, including the recently painted and lettered Foxcote wagons. The shots are taken on Tucking Mill viaduct, albeit on the main layout. I decided to put them in the Bath thread as the reason for assembling the train, other than simply wanting to play trains, is to test haulage up the bank. Maximum, unassisted, train length will be twenty five wagons so a test train of twenty seven recently completed wagons was used to try out the Raithby based 4F and also a Farish 4F with weighted tender. Both managed the train with no problems which was very pleasing.

Christmas project is to get the track work and wiring completed across the front of the Colliery so that I can run trains all the way from Bath junction to the fiddle yard. Also, just had a note from shop 2 to say that my back order for 9mm wheels is in so once they arrive I can crack on with the 7F test etches -2018 looks like being as busy as 2017!

Merry Christmas all,

Jerry

attachicon.gifIMG_3477.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3479.JPG

Merry Christmas from New Zealand Jerry - thats a really nice scene coming together there .

Steve Martin

Some superb modeling here Jerry, I feel has if I know you after reading through the whole threads from start to finish over the last couple of days. Not sure how I missed this thread, i have seen your Tucking Mill thread and your contribution to the D & G couplings  thread.  I am experimenting with D & G couplings on my N-gauge layout, plus some detailing on a Union Mills 3F, only wish I had your skill and expertise.

lil chris

Edited by lilchris