Farish announce Bulleid coaches in 'N'

Andy Y

I've just (pre-)ordered from one of my local suppliers of choice - 2x BTK(SO), 1x CK, 1x TK, 1x TO in green - depending on what the applied numbering on the brake vehicle is that'll make up either a 3- or 4- car set with the TO and possibly the TK spare for mixing in with my loose Mark 1s.

Edit: From the EP sample pictures the BR(SR) Green TK is numbered S34S. This was in set 88 from 05/49 (officially - it was outshopped in 02/49) until the set was reduced to 3 cars in 06/62.

Now just awaiting the Dapol Maunsells, which from the look of the CADs are of the earlier low-window type. Getting coat on before that can of worms is opened in earnest...

• 3 weeks later...

A very useful review by Nigel Burkin on these coaches has appeared today on the Model Railways Live website:

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Reviews/233/Graham_Farish_Bulleid_Coaches_reveiwed_by_Nigel_Burkin/

He confirms the belief that more of the brakes will probably be needed than the other coaches, and also points out that the numbers released so far don't correspond to any prototypical set.

I agree with him that a special edition set with correct numbers and set numbers on the ends could prove popular.

Douglas

Thanks for the heads-up on that, Douglas.

Looks like I need to get my renumbering kit out again when my Bulleids arrive...

For information the currently known numbers are (and history per Gould):

- BTK(SO) (green) S3992S; which was in set 840 from 06/50 (outshopped on 04/50) until the end of 1965, when set working was abolished. It was withdrawn in Sept. 67.

- TK (green) S34S; which was in set 88 from 05/49 (officially - it was outshopped in 02/49) until the set was reduced to 3 cars by 06/63. It then became loose until put into set 981 in 06/65. S34S was withdrawn in July 67.

- CK (crimson/cream) S5857; which was in set 839 from 06/50 (outshopped in 05/50) until the end of 1965, when set working was abolished. It was withdrawn in Sept. 68.

- TO (crimson/cream) S1497; outshopped in 12/50, was loose stock for the whole of its life, withdrawn in Oct. 67.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the green ones are going much much faster than the crimson and cream ones. Kernow Model centre had very few green in stock about an hour ago, and none of these were brakes. They also only had a few crimson and cream brakes (there are 3 less now). 

• RMweb Gold

Gauge master had the Bullied coaches in stock this morning although not on display. After I had asked about them they started to try and find space for them in the N gauge display cabinets.

Very nice looking models. Just a three set for now but plenty more to follow although a layout to run thrn on is some way off.

I have seen them today in my local model store and they look very nice indeed. I just can't run them on my branchline as only 2 coaches will fit in the runaround loop and Farish have sadly neglected to produce the brake compo. I will get a 3-car rake when I get around to my bigger layout (probably have to wait for a future batch).

I have still not mastered attaching photographs. The picture above shows the Swanage Railway's semi-open Bulleid Brake. The Swanage Railway has done a good job on restoring the coach complete with carriage prints. It was an empty shell at Corfe Castle last year. It has shallow ventilators. If Graham-Farish had modelled this version it would have been able to produce them in Southern livery as well. The picture shows the correct shade for BR(SR) green and I hope that the Graham-Farish models will be in the same colour. I have ordered some from Hattons on Friday but they have not been packed yet.

The Isle of Purbeck Model Railway Group did start work on a B Van to fit a model of the Swanage Railway in it but the Council of Management of the Swanage Railway were very much against it. Now the Swanage Railway is going to hold a model railway exhibition during the Diesel Gala at Harmans Cross Village Hall next to the Station. If you put an idea to managers and they reject it the best thing to do is to keep quiet and then they will suggest it as their idea. Fortunately N gauge is small enough to build a layout in a spare room.

My picking list of Graham Farish Bulleid coaches was packed at 15:23 and is being sent to me by Yodel. I asked Hattons to send them by Royal Mail. Last time I had a delivery by Yodel I was out for an hour on the Friday so I got an unable to deliver note. The representative told me he did not work on weekends so I did not get it until Monday.

Hattons are infamous for this - even when you tell them not to and explicitly note so on the package. I'm one of several people I know who after being basically told to go ***** when pointing out to them that they are breaching contract when they do this no longer use said supplier.

Looks like the green ones are going much much faster than the crimson and cream ones. Kernow Model centre had very few green in stock about an hour ago, and none of these were brakes. They also only had a few crimson and cream brakes (there are 3 less now). 

Looks like the Bulleid brake is going the way of the Mk2a TSO, which sold out far faster than anything else.

Unfortunately I've contributed to the problem by ordering a single BSK representing one of the 30-odd BSKs reallocated to the Western Region in the early 60s.

The Isle of Purbeck Model Railway Group did start work on a B Van to fit a model of the Swanage Railway in it but the Council of Management of the Swanage Railway were very much against it. Now the Swanage Railway is going to hold a model railway exhibition during the Diesel Gala at Harmans Cross Village Hall next to the Station. If you put an idea to managers and they reject it the best thing to do is to keep quiet and then they will suggest it as their idea. Fortunately N gauge is small enough to build a layout in a spare room.

My picking list of Graham Farish Bulleid coaches was packed at 15:23 and is being sent to me by Yodel. I asked Hattons to send them by Royal Mail. Last time I had a delivery by Yodel I was out for an hour on the Friday so I got an unable to deliver note. The representative told me he did not work on weekends so I did not get it until Monday.

Ask them to send by Hermes if they won't send by Royal Mail - Hermes do work on Saturday and my experience of them is they are much better than Yodel at leaving things safely if they don't get an answer (ie not chucking things over fences or onto porch roofs as in a couple of YouTube videos I could mention). Usual disclaimers apply.

Looks like the Bulleid brake is going the way of the Mk2a TSO, which sold out far faster than anything else.

Unfortunately I've contributed to the problem by ordering a single BSK representing one of the 30-odd BSKs reallocated to the Western Region in the early 60s.

Unfortunately none of the batch represented by the Farish model were reallocated to the WR but I appreciate the intention...

Judging from stock showing at Hattons, as people have said, unsurprisingly the semi-open brake is going fast, as people tend to need at least two for a set, and it also looks like the BR green version is more popular than the blood and custard, perhaps because there are a lot of people modelling the transition period these days.

Given that Colin Albright at Bachmann used to run Ultima and is a coach expert, I am surprised that they did not anticipate the greater demand for the brakes, and also did not produce models suitable for a prototypical set, either by doing two different brakes and a composite with numbers from a set, or releasing a set as a single item, the way they have been doing with weathered wagons recently.

I know it is expensive to commission special editions from Bachmann and they won't do them in the first year after a model's release, so I wonder if Bachmann might do a set themselves in a second release of these models.

The lack of a brake composite has already been commented on as well.  These would be useful coaches as "strengtheners" and could even form single coach trains. Bachmann are not doing a brake composite in the Hawksworth coaches either.

Douglas

It looks like Hattons have sold out of the green Bulleid brake coaches. If other shops have sold out as well lots of people will have to attach a green Mk1 brake to their trains. I am surprised that Graham Farish did not produce two brake coaches with different numbers.

In their catalogue Graham Farish describes the BR (SR) green coach as a Second Brake Corridor Open Coach whereas it describes the BR crimson and cream coach as a Third Semi-Open Brake Coach.

It looks like Hattons have sold out of the green Bulleid brake coaches. If other shops have sold out as well lots of people will have to attach a green Mk1 brake to their trains. I am surprised that Graham Farish did not produce two brake coaches with different numbers.

I am just hoping that they will decide to produce another brake coach in green as soon as possible to meet the demand. Perhaps they were being cautious in case these coaches didn't sell well.

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

I guess that Bachmann has decided that many of their purchasers would not know the difference between a BSK and a BCK so have just gone for one, rather than cover the costs of both. 

Archived