Site hack - now overcome.

• RMweb Gold

Guys,

Andy asked that no-one else posts to say they got an email to save 100s of "me too" posts.

I DIDN'T get an email, which means either my ISP has already blocked it or they didn't get all the email addresses, and I've checked all the spam areas on my mail client. I'll try and check my ISP raw inbox later.

Edit - apparently this (and Andys post) are invisible, hopefully fixed now.

• RMweb Gold

Hacking a model railway site - thats going to overthrow the government isn't it?

Actually it could*, what they are (probably) really trying to do is to plant what are known as "bots", in simple terms programs which run and they (the baddies)control, they do nothing, and then at a future date they instruct all the bots they've installed on the thousands of hacked sites, to send huge amounts of data to the government website, this then floods the site and it crashes, this is called a DoS - Denial of Service - attack, when thousands of computers around the world are involved its called a distributed DoS. Not only that but when it's crashed it is then possible to send more data, of a particular size and form, and gain admin control of the server ... opening up all sorts of "lovely" possibilities

It's amazingly easy to crash some sites, even from a single PC, if the owners don't secure it, (allegedly)

*well it could lead to disruption, from small acorns etc.

Hi Andy

I have just received an email.......I guess from the hacking idiots mentioned on this topic. It suggests I should watch a movie titled "Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect" and it further suggests printing out flyers from another site and distributing them.............Derrrr????????.

Are these the same mindless, Neanderthal, hopeless clowns that are playing games with this site.........or ??????......is this another group of idiots.

Obviously that email received the hand of God treatment and was despatched to the deleted items folder a.s.a.p

Keep up the good work Andy...............................Cheers Gormo

Actually it could*, what they are (probably) really trying to do is to plant what are known as "bots", in simple terms programs which run and they (the baddies)control, they do nothing, and then at a future date they instruct all the bots they've installed on the thousands of hacked sites, to send huge amounts of data to the government website, this then floods the site and it crashes, this is called a DoS - Denial of Service - attack, when thousands of computers around the world are involved its called a distributed DoS. Not only that but when it's crashed it is then possible to send more data, of a particular size and form, and gain admin control of the server ...

It's amazingly easy to crash some sites, even from a single PC, if the owners don't secure it, (allegedly)

Absolutely right Beast!

I have no doubt that Andy will be running appropriate security software on the server to see if any bots are installed and that the security settings of the whole server are as they should be e.g. using Nessus

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Actually it could*, what they are (probably) really trying to do is to plant what are known as "bots", in simple terms programs which run and they (the baddies)control, they do nothing, and then at a future date they instruct all the bots they've installed on the thousands of hacked sites, to send huge amounts of data to the government website, this then floods the site and it crashes, this is called a DoS - Denial of Service - attack, when thousands of computers around the world are involved its called a distributed DoS. Not only that but when it's crashed it is then possible to send more data, of a particular size and form, and gain admin control of the server ... opening up all sorts of "lovely" possibilities

Interestingly, I work on a government IT contract and we have been informed there is credible evidence of a mass attack being planned for today from anonymous.

It is being taken very seriously.

It may be early days but I believe I've isolated another presence of the attack; for me since that point performance has improved.

Further checking will be carried out whilst I await responses from others to confirm appropriate actions to minimise further risks.

Really these people, like terrorists, rely on a couple of things for success, "surprise" and "unlikely targets". Does not anyone coordinate IT defence against cretins like this in the UK?

It's probably a couple of 30 year olds living with their Mums on Canvey Island, bandwagon - jumping, i.e. I expect that they do not really believe in their own cause. They need a good scare.

Best, Pete.

Guest Natalie Graham

I see the software add-on that automatically reveals typos the instant you press the submit button survived the attack undamaged. :rolleyes:

I attempted to change my password details - it informed me that the email address was already in use(correctly as I wasn't trying to change that!), and dumped me back to a "start over again screen" Assuming that it had worked (following a CK post) I logged out and logged in again - successfully, Now clicking on my name top right will only allow me to update my profile and shows no other choices - so I have no ides if it has changed my details or not. Not only that but I can't find the post where AndyY told how to do it!

Ok... now what. I have lost the RMWeb header, and instead I have this message at the top of every page - and it's all slowed down to a crawl:

Strict Standards: Declaration of group_forum_breadcrumb::sendOutput() should be compatible with that of output::sendOutput() in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php on line 26

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141

Any ideas?

Jon

Ok... now what. I have lost the RMWeb header, and instead I have this message at the top of every page - and it's all slowed down to a crawl:

Strict Standards: Declaration of group_forum_breadcrumb::sendOutput() should be compatible with that of output::sendOutput() in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php on line 26

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_3157fee6f8b85ed71dec1a1d920cae37.php:26) in /home/rmwebco/public_html/community/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141

Any ideas?

Jon

Archived