SQL errors

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the server is going to be just round the corner, I'm happy to volunteer to nip round and give it a kick if it starts playing up.....

If a good kicking fails, I also have a 2lb club 'ammer. B)

Don't worry if it doesn't work Gordon, I've got a 4lb sledge hammer and if all else fails a couple of wrecking bars, handy just down the road.

• RMweb Premium

Performance here is erratic and slowly declining but there is no direct evidence to confirm whether that is related to RMweb's hosting arrangements, the international connectivity from Australia (allegorically somewhat limited) or indeed there is anything else interfering. It makes no difference whether I am using the home Mac (with or without its firewall enabled) or the work PC (which routes via the company servers and monitoring systems).

What matters is that I can still enjoy RMweb for about 50% of the time and long ago learned to copy and paste to clipboard any post of substance which I didn't want to lose in cyberspace or have to retype. The other 50% is accounted for by those pesky SQL errors and slow-downs (slows-down?) which would make a geriatric snail look like an Olympic athlete.

The Australian-based site Railpage Australia also became a victim of its own success and, very much like RMweb, had limitations of hosting and service provision when it relied on member donations. It ground to an extended halt on several occasions. Finally, and after some personal issues at the hosting business were dealt with, it was rehosted on a more commercial basis and has since been running rather better and is certainly a lot more stable.

I shall sit tight and see what happens with the new arrangements. Andy and his team have always served us well and as Martin has mentioned RMweb is to an extent a victim of its own success in that it generates far more traffic than perhaps was anticipated. Much of that traffic is simply passive browsers taking a look at content arising from a Google (other search engines are available) search. I have no issues with that. The internet is an information resource. There are "givers" and "takers" but if we had written a book instead of typed a post would we limit its content to the membership of a library or would we be happy for anyone to browse and possibly buy later? I browse many more topics than I contribute to here notably the layouts where I avoid simply posting "Me too" comments but do make use of the "tick" function; if I haven't posted in your topic it doesn't mean I haven't read it or have no interest - I just have nothing constructive to add.

One question arises. With and "Irish cloud" server do we have to take preventive measures to avoid our computers having Guinness rain down on them???? ;)

One question arises. With and "Irish cloud" server do we have to take preventive measures to avoid our computers having Guinness rain down on them???? ;)

I've fitted a tap on my tower.

• RMweb Premium

Andy was quite positive over the forthcoming changes when I spoke to him on Saturday and is pretty confident that the changes will have the desired outcome.

To help mimic the site's current erratic performance, I did suggest that members' day visitors should be stopped at the door for a while, and then try getting in five minutes later LOL.

• RMweb Premium

Only five minutes ;)

SQL in my book currently stands for Stuffed Quite Longtime. It has taken up to three hours to get back in.

But I like your style!

• RMweb Premium

Seems to be patchy Martin as the same has not been true here; I'm in now (at 7pm local time) but have been unable to get access earlier today at all.

• RMweb Gold
Seems to be patchy Martin as the same has not been true here; I'm in now (at 7pm local time) but have been unable to get access earlier today at all.

Hi Rick,

What time would that have been? Bear in mind that RMweb goes offline for about an hour every day in the early hours UK time so that the daily backup can be made without errors. That is usually around 3am - 4am UK time but can vary.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't aware we shut down totally to back up. I don't think too many other sites do that.

My timezone is 9 hours ahead of UK so I normally log on around 7.30am (10.30pm UK time) and again at lunchtime 12.30pm (3.30am UK time). I can also pop in as the opportunity arises at any hour of the day and n the whole haven't had any particular problem recently until the current round of SQL errors.

• RMweb Gold
I wasn't aware we shut down totally to back up. I don't think too many other sites do that.

It's a temporary measure to prevent the backups being affected by the SQL problems. Andy made a post about it somewhere.

Martin.

I wish people would stop posting in this topic. I had four errors in a row when I tried to see what 45156 had said, and another three just now when trying to look at Rod's entry. Otherwise, it's been fine all day :scratchhead:

Nick

Possibly related to the SQL woes; my post count is inaccurate.

The system believes I have 7 posts, and yet I've posted in at least 8 topics, with more than one post in a couple of them.

I'm not worried about my *actual* post count, but though those in charge might like to be aware of it (as if you don't have enough to worry about already eh ?)

• RMweb Gold

Possibly related to the SQL woes; my post count is inaccurate.

The system believes I have 7 posts, and yet I've posted in at least 8 topics, with more than one post in a couple of them.

I'm not worried about my *actual* post count, but though those in charge might like to be aware of it (as if you don't have enough to worry about already eh ?)

Not all posts count towards post count. Some of your posts are in "Wheeltappers" and therefore don't get included.

• RMweb Premium

I seem to be getting more SQL errors. Usually on my first login after starting the computer. Usually all I do is shut down my broswer then open it again it normally starts OK the 2nd time around. I'm running Firefox on XP.

Jamie

Archived