Posting in Layout Topics - a waste of time?

retroman

i also seam to have the same problem! like you said if my work was rubbish or isnt correct somehow i wouldnt take it to offence aslong as the other user didnt turn out and say oh thats cr** isnt that the idea of a forum? to give good and bad feedback to users, we may not be brilliant modellers like some people on here and may not be able to respray a loco to cairnsroadworks standards but atleast we are giving it ago? after all we are the next generation of moddellers

thanks for reading

dan

Guest jim s-w

Afraid Dan. There's a lot of people here who don't want feedback. It's best not to assume everyone is looking for it as its far from the case

Hth

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Sorry all but I feel this is the Layout section and not a site discusion section,when I open this section I want to see and read about layouts and how they are coming along and discusion about the layout?

Hugh

Yes, but this is about those that have layout topics asking for people to make feedback posts, surely this is the right place for it ? after all like a layout topic title that doesn't take your fancy you don't have to open it .

Yes, but this is about those that have layout topics asking for people to make feedback posts, surely this is the right place for it ? after all like a layout topic title that doesn't take your fancy you don't have to open it .

Hi all I am saying is this is the layout section which I read every day and feel the title is a question and should be posted elsewhere?

Posting in Layout Topics - a waste of time?Who actually reads these threads?

Hugh

Aft'noon guys,

Leaving aside whether this is the correct venue for this thread, it is surely a matter of aspiration and contentment regarding your layout. The standard can be at any level but if you are happy with your efforts then there is no problem.....if you want to progress then simply read about the efforts of those modelling in the zone to which you aspire and try some of their techniques. Progression is often about how much time you have available for your hobby and that will be different for every individual using this website. Criticising others efforts openly is dodgy ground and words like crap and rubbish have no place on this forum.

Regards

Dave

Criticising others efforts openly is dodgy ground and words like crap and rubbish have no place on this forum.

I do agree of course Dave that it's not acceptable although I would hope that it could be helpful to some folk if they were given and could graciously receive comment which helps them improve. A fat load of "nice layout mate" posts on the back of the latest RTR offering slid out of the box onto the trackmat isn't going to help the aspiring modeller get from A to Z. It's not a problem that a person is at point B on that journey but it would be helpful if they let us know they want to get to point C and invite comment or whether they want to stay at point B.

I use the layout topics as a huge source of inspiration, when I'm not sure where I want to go next with my own efforts, and hour or so trawling layout threads will fuel the mind again. I find it a massive help when I have modellers block.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all I am saying is this is the layout section which I read every day and feel the title is a question and should be posted elsewhere?

99% of the time I would probably agree with you, but this time i think it is very relevant to the section and would probably get lost elsewhere.

Like yourself I also pop in here daily to see whats new (if I don't VNC) I read through topics that catch my eye and may hit the "like" button, but don't add feedback unless I think i have something worthwhile to add (which isn't often :sarcastichand: ) In my own topic I would maybe be a bit miffed if someone was negative but would consider the post before replying in case I had missed the point which was ultimately helpful to me. Positives are always appreciated and with the few replies I have had there are some gems in there.

To the OP just hang in there, it will all bear fruit.

Hi Andy,

It is a given that we want as many people as possible in our hobby to move from A towards Z. Surely, constructive comments from well meaning individuals is a 'ladder' for that. Maybe a symbol or colour can be used by the postee to indicate that he has done his best but would welcome advice on how to 'move it on one'.

Regards

Dave

Why not have your layout name and your own title in a colour which indicates whether you welcome constructive advice on an ongoing basis (green for comment welcomed at any time, yellow for strictly constructive comment only and red for I'm showing you what I'm doing but don't need any help thankyou). That way those who may be a little more reticent about doing so can 'sit on the fence' and observe that there is little to be feared from constructive advice.

Blimey just seen this thread - getting to be a bit heated isn't it chaps? I have learnt from my little time as an RMweb member that this site is a fantastic place with lots of brilliant people and advice. And I do understand what you mean when you say nobody replies, everybody gets that from time to time, including me - you may feel like it's a waste of time but you've got to remember that people aren't obliged to reply, they can just come along and 'check out' what is happening. And people only reply if they feel they want to or have to, if you post something about an N gauge Swiss layout and someone who only knows about O scale British modelling reads it then you can hardly expect them to give a really detailed reply giving you lots of tips and advice.

Just saying my opinion....

--------------------------------------------------------------

we should maybe write in blue for comments on the work? may work may not, it would need to be written on the homepage though

Actually, quite a good idea that.... :D

Why not have your layout name and your own title in a colour which indicates whether you welcome constructive advice on an ongoing basis (green for comment welcomed at any time, yellow for strictly constructive comment only and red for I'm showing you what I'm doing but don't need any help thankyou). That way those who may be a little more reticent about doing so can 'sit on the fence' and observe that there is little to be feared from constructive advice.

Also a very good idea.... lordhinton is right, you should pass it on lol!

I read almost everything in the layout topics section as it is full of so many sources of inspiration and advice etc

However I rarely/never comment because I don't feel I have anything useful to contribute, I'd feel daft constantly posting how great I think things look and most questions I could think of usually have already been asked and answered + my lack of experience in the hobby doesn't give me much confidence

should I come across something I don't like however, I don't comment again as this is usually due to personal taste and again not really constructive

• RMweb Premium

I've nothing new to add frankly, but I suspect I'm representative of quite a large group who are very much lurkers! I spent nearly 2 years poring over threads before I even registered, so don't worry, I suspect plenty more people are admiring your layout than actually say so!

I do think that the speed with which topics drop off the front page can be a contributary factor to a lack of replies.

I've nothing new to add frankly, but I suspect I'm representative of quite a large group who are very much lurkers! I spent nearly 2 years poring over threads before I even registered, so don't worry, I suspect plenty more people are admiring your layout than actually say so!

I do think that the speed with which topics drop off the front page can be a contributary factor to a lack of replies.

what I was trying to say haha

.....your approach would suggest progression and therefore growing confidence/experience. Are you actually doing much modelling?

not as much as I'd like to be doing

I for one vote for keeping things at their simplest. There are some layouts that are not my cup of tea and so does the owner really want me to say why I dont like overcrowded layouts, toy curves and masses of mixed-period diesels that would never have been seen together in real life? Andy Y mentioned going from A to Z, but this is a difficult one when we all have differing starting points. I respect other peoples choices by keeping schtum (some of the time).

Archived