Posting in Layout Topics - a waste of time?

retroman

I've been updating progress on my layout by taking the trouble to post up phots etc of my layout, to total silence for weeks.

Is this the norm on RMWEB?

I'm not looking for praise, but some feedback would be good - good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps my layout is so shite that people are embarrassed to say!!

How do others feel? I know the ultra high class layouts (Birmingham Ns, Liverpool Lime St) get plenty of feedback, but for ordinary "Berts" like me, with mediocre skills, I've got to question why I apparently waste my time updating a thread that nobody apparently reads.

I bet no-one reads this either.

I don't get much feedback on Greslington, bar a few followers, to which I am ever thankful. I started a topic more for my own personal gratification than anything else. I sometimes like to read through my older posts as its interesting to see what ideas have fallen by the wayside and new things I have tried. Don't lose faith my friend. A link in your sig may help by the way.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldnt take it that no one is interested.

For instance I had a lot of replies on some of my posts but then it goes quiet as I suppose there is often little else to say unless a particular post happens to catch someones eye to pass a differnet comment.

Plenty of people do read the topics as you can see the number of views to that topic but they just dont tend to comment.

There are many posts I read but have nothing particular to say so I dont add a reply, even on a top notch layout as its often been said in the topic before.

Ian

I posted a link in the 2mm finescale thread about a stunning layout. So far it has had 1064 views and 13 replies. That's about normal I would think. I would never expect more than about 10% of the viewers to bother to make a comment and usually the same few keep commenting. Keep posting.

Just had a look back through my thread, since July 2011 only one person has commented despite regular updates.

I wouldn't mind if folk pipe up and say, 'that looks crap'. At least it is a response of sorts.

When one considers the processes involved - taking the photo, uploading to computer, editing photo, uploading to host site, pasting to RMWeb thread -TBH I think I've better things to be doing with my time.

• RMweb Premium

I lurk a lot in this sub-forum, I can't remember the last time I posted anything.

I read these threads a lot for ideas and inspiration my own layout, though I do not comment - my skills are nothing compared to many on here so I stay silent.

Part of the issue I feel is that topics fall off the front page or second page very quickly. I like Marshfield but today its down on page 5, and unless people "bump" threads they often get lost pages back. Every so often a thread I forgot about gets updated and hits page one again. Your last thread post was only six days ago. That isn't a long time to have been pushed to page 5. (Edit: I know bumping for bumping sake is frowned upon)

Anyway - long story short, there is at least one silent member out there who enjoys seeing updates to things.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9686-marshfield-with-ely-bridge-high-level/

In which case I honestly can't give an accurate answer as to why there hasn't been more interaction; it's good and there's plenty of images and interest. There has been over 6000 views of it so it's not wholly neglected but yes; there aren't a lot of comments back from folk. Sometimes it's just down to the volume of content on the site and it can be quirky things that gets dialogue going.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't mind if folk pipe up and say, 'that looks crap'. At least it is a response of sorts.

I've not looked at your thread so this comment is not directed at you.

The problem with that is a lot of people DO take offence if anyone makes negative comments - and then we have the boring discussion by the "anti-criticism mafia" who tell us that we shouldn't be pointing out mistakes or we should be constructive - but let's not get into it again, we're not due to have it for another 3 days.

(to repeat) Why not put a link to your thread in your signature ?

I just a quick read through, along with over 20 other people! Do you work in marketing by any chance? :)

It looks really well established and highly detailed. A casual observation of mine is that layouts in planning or construction generally get more comments as people are more able to have an input? Well done though, looks great.

Steve

My entries in this forum do not get a huge response, however I keep posting because a few members have said they are interested to see the progress. I think the new system of being able to like a post means that people may not make the effort to post the simple "that's good post".

Saying that though, my field of interest is not going to engender as much interest as other topics because of it being French and N Gauge. I am surprised that your topic has not got more comments, the layout is very good and certainly intrigues me. Keep posting!

• RMweb Premium

I think that at times, most of us would like our layout threads to generate more comments; there are times when I feel a little disheartened when my thread disappears off the bottom of the page at a vast rate of knots but then at the end of the day, I remind myself that one of the reasons I post is to have a log of where I was up to on a certain date; after all, half the posts I pop up are about constructing buildings and as such, the majority of photos show nothing railway related at all (I should really have kept updating my other thread in Structures, Scenery & Transport........)

I looked at your thread quite regularly but have never commented, mainly because I am more interested in steam-era layouts and as such, have little to add re: advice, etc. I'm not one to post for the sake of it in other people's threads, but it doesn't mean that I am not interested and doesn't mean that I don't enjoy looking.

I wouldn't lose heart if I were you. Several reasons, some of which have already been mentioned. Your comment to view rate is 68/6105 or 1.1%. I've been posting updates on my own layout for the last 6 years and my own post/view ratio is 964/128,684 or just 0.75%, so even less than your own. I gave up being concerned about it years ago as I now think of it as a social update page and use the layout thread simply to show what progress has been made. This is actually more for my own benefit as it gives me a timeline to see if I'm going backwards or forwards, but most importantly if gives me the occasional kick up the backside when I realise a month has gone by and I've done little.

Of course I'm pleased when someone asks a question as it confirms that someone is reading it, but it's the number of views and number of people that follow the thread that are the true assessment of your thread, if comments are lower than you expect. By and large in my own thread there is often little to comment on and I accept that. It's just an update, nothing more. A bit like showing some pics of what you've been up to with a few mates. Sometimes the conversation is over in a few minutes, other times they'll take a real interest.

It took a while to find your layout, so adding a link to your own signature is a great help. Participation in other threads can often lead to others looking at your own out of curiosity. Think of it as networking and you will be surprised how quickly this can spread the word.

Don't lose heart. It's a big forum and stuff moves down the page in less than an hour these days. Just keep at it, after all it really doesn't take that long to add a bit of text and a couple of pics if you have something to show.

I don't get many comments on my layout thread either but to be honest some of my updates can be a bit sporadic and I won't claim that my handiwork is worthy of any special mention. As others have said sometimes its hard to see why some threads get more attention than others - it definitely isn't always about quality.

Like Gordon I use it to track my own progress. If somebody comments then that's much appreciated. Leading people to your thread via your sig and worthwhile posts in other people's threads are both good ideas.

A few thoughts, not all aimed directly at your thread, but more about layout threads in general:

• There are a lot of topics in the layouts forum (and probably more updated each day than any other) so it needs to stand out. A good title and use of the description will get more interest. Threads with titles such as "My New Layout" or "a 00 terminus" and/or no description will be likely to be skipped in favour of something which sounds more interesting and relevant. (This doesn't apply to your Marshfield layout - you've used the description well)
  • Lots of photos will get you interest and comment, but better if they are hosted on RMWeb rather than flickr, photobucket etc. - Those sites are frequently blocked by corporate networks and often photos are slower to load than locally hosted ones - readers can't comment on something they can't see...
  • Get the balance right between frequency of updates and relevance of updates. Tell us when you have done something meaningful, but we soon get bored if the latest entries are "today I bought a class X"; "today I bought another class Y" "Now I have 6 identical out of the box class Zs" etc etc and won't bother reading again...
  • Few readers will comment for the sake of commenting. As others have said, some fear how a negative comment may be received, while others may not have anything to add and just want to sit back and admire your work! If you ask for feedback on specific points maybe readers may be more forthcoming.
  • In some of the busiest threads, a lot of posts are just in-house/off-topic chit-chat between friends and don't add much to the thread, so post numbers alone is not necessarily a good measure of popularity.
  • Overall popularity is probably best measured by repeat visitors but i'm not sure the software tracks/reports that.

Paul

I try to come onto the site daily and normally try to at least glance at every layout that has had an update in the last 24 hours. I tend not to put up many comments though. Its not down to the skill level or anything postive/ negative against the poster and his own achievements but is normally because I cant add anything constructive to the article. I could off course add 'i like that' or 'your progressing well' but would soon clog up the various threads. I can admire a layout in any style but never having seen the railways operate in a steam period (born 1980) I dont feel I can add anything with 100% conviction to many of these type of layouts.

A case in point is the wonderful Baccup on here. I read every update and really admire the work of the creator but havent posted once. Its an area of the country I know little about in a time period that I have little knowledge about. I would hate to see the post close down due to a lack of comments which the creator deems to be a lack of enthusiasm by the fellow readers.

Well if you are a Marketing man, it certainly worked - 7 comments today !! :stinker:

I do know exactly how you feel though. Sometimes when you have done some work on a layout and take the time to post the pictures on here, it is very disheartening to get no replies. I did the same thing this week with my layout. Having a young family I don't get lots of time to make amzing progress on my layout, but when I do make progress I am really pleased. However when I post the pics and nobody replies I start to question myself. Was it really that bad, or was it just not enought progress for people to want to comment on it. However I also look at the fact that I do read a lot of threads on here without posting anything, so maybe I am guilty of the same thing. Sometimes it is hard to get the balance right between posting on everything and just saying "it looks good" or keeping quiet and the person thinking that nobody is interested.

One other tip for you though, I tend to end up reading and following threads from people who have posted on others that I am following. The easiest way I find their layout is through a link in their signature. It has just taken me a few minutes to find your thread, so it may be worth adding it to your signature so others can find it easier?

Anyway, off to read (and post on) your thread now!

Dave

Sorry, but one last thing I forgot to mention is to see how many people "like this" on your posts. I have just noticed that my thread that has had no posts since my last update, does however have 3 people that have bothered to press the "like this" button. To me, this shows that they like my update and don't have any constructive critisism - so I am happy. Treat a "like this" as a reply that doesn't clog up your thread.

Dave

I think the volume of layout topics is such as has been mentioned means that post today and you are on the second/thrid page within 48 hours so people won't see your thread. While my thread has had a fair few comments, I post sporadically because I only post any updates of progress so often drops down the list.

Also if I search by my layout name, it appears right at the bottom of the 2nd page, because the list sorts by date thread started, is this the same for everybody?

In terms of driving views, I have fitted a QR code to the layout linked to my thread, which drove a 100 views via smartphone over the weekend at the last exhibition, (albeit not much good for home only layouts!).

Archived