Posting in Layout Topics - a waste of time?

retroman

Talking of QR codes - That is quite interesting as to how many might have used it. I have set one up but havent got round to adding it to the layout yet. Must try and remember to print it out tomorrow..

Ian

I was quite frankly amazed at the interest it got at the last show, I expected only a couple of people to scan it, but people were queing up at one point, the QR code attracted the most comment all weekend.

I browse through layout topics quite frequently, however my interest is mainly steam despite being too young to remember class 43's being blue and having little interest in modern day - although I do like city centre layouts such as cross street I do prefer to see steam locos stomping through rugged scenary.

this is reflected in the layout topics I read, along with my recent move from 00 into N gauge the smaller scale features a little higher on my 'reading list' and a quick scan through the multitude of layout topics results in 5 or so being opened in a browser tab before the wife tells me I ought to be doing something more productive - her way of saying she wants the computer for facebook.

My own layout topic seems to generate replies when I'm trying to figure out how to do something, people who have been watching my progress feel they have something to contribute and I'm very glad they do.

I've been updating progress on my layout by taking the trouble to post up phots etc of my layout, to total silence for weeks.

Is this the norm on RMWEB?

Retroman

Don't let it get you down!

What attracts me to read a thread when I look through "View New Content" can be pretty random, but certainly the header and the following phrase need to catch the attention in some way. Even then, there needs to be some kind of discussion or question which causes me to put finger to keyboard to do anything more than click "Like this".

As an example of the apparent randomness, I wrote two threads about 12 months ago about a project to detail and repaint a Dapol Terrier. There were two because the rebuild project fitted into "modifying and detailing RTR stock", while the paint job went into "painting and weathering". Both got over 700 hits, but the rebuild project got only one further comment (actually me writing a short postscript as a covert way to give it a bump), while the painting and weathering topic got 13 comments. The two threads were cross linked, so I suspect that the 700 hits on both threads came from the same people, but one part of the story evidently provoked comment whereas the other did not. C'est la vie.

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Gold

The problem with that is a lot of people DO take offence if anyone makes negative comments

Having taken a quick look at your layout I could comment that the signalling needs work (and possibly I might have other comments too), the question is would you have taken this well if I just posted that without this prompt ? - some do, some don't, so generally I don't bother commenting unless invited too.

Now I've seen this, I'll pop over and take a look. Advertsing at it's best, LOL>

But don't expect a comment every time I look: I don't even do that with the layouts I follow that evoke my boyhood, Peterborough North and York Leeman Road.

It's just too time consuming to post every time I visit every layout I loook at, since there are about five others I look at regularly.

See you in a minute.

Just testing you there... :sarcastichand:

What does occur to me is you seemed to have raced ahead a bit posting pictures without waiting for comments. A bit at a time seems to work best. Your layout looks a tad cramped and cluttered to me but that is only one opinion. I do like the way you have weathered your locos though....the oily look just suits diesels. I've been prompted by this thread and as four pages is a lot to get through in detail I'll have another look this evening.

I browse through layout topics quite frequently, however my interest is mainly steam despite being too young to remember class 43's being blue and having little interest in modern day - although I do like city centre layouts such as cross street I do prefer to see steam locos stomping through rugged scenary.

this is reflected in the layout topics I read, along with my recent move from 00 into N gauge the smaller scale features a little higher on my 'reading list' and a quick scan through the multitude of layout topics results in 5 or so being opened in a browser tab before the wife tells me I ought to be doing something more productive - her way of saying she wants the computer for facebook.

My own layout topic seems to generate replies when I'm trying to figure out how to do something, people who have been watching my progress feel they have something to contribute and I'm very glad they do.

I agree with your comments as I am interested in the same era and model in N, like your layout by the way :good:

Guest jim s-w

I too find that I only have a small number of people who post on my layout thread. Most discussion that happens is usually linked to people's experiences of the real location which you wouldn't get if modelling a fictional location. So if you take those out there's not a lot of comment left.

Remember though that any info you post may not be useful to any readers at the time you post it, however people will return to it later when they are doing something similar.

Of course you can always invite comment rather than just expect it. For example a picture with a comment like here's my new signal is a bit of a dead end while 'here's my signal, I don't know if it's right or not, perhaps an expert can help me' might get someone like beast to post more info for you, knowing that you are open to and wanting feedback.

Cheers

Jim

I wouldn't mind if folk pipe up and say, 'that looks crap'.  At least it is a response of sorts.

No one is ever going to say that especially as they probably do not know you personally - it can be seen as very offensive.

People read and view layouts for different reasons and it is quite often difficult to be positive about an evolving layout and especially of one that is moving from train set through to model. I don't know your layout and may not have seen it. There are so many on RMWeb even I tend to be selective.

Often it helps to be short in each update and to ask a question of the reader. This gives focus and more are likely to accept that you are seeking input from them. However you must give time for a response to develop and harrying other members even like this topic separately can be seen as "bad form" and may put some off posting. It is like shouting hey look at me you must respond.

I'm now off to see if I can find the layout in question - though that doesn't mean I will make a comment.

Having read through this thread I've noticed that everything I was going to say has already been said.

So, this is probably true of a lot of the layout topics, too.

Someone will say "Looking good", and everyone else will quietly agree rather than adding their own "Yeah, what he said" to the mix.

I do find that having a link in your signature helps though. Especially if it's a big bright obnoxious image.

• RMweb Premium

A question for you here Bev, how on Earth did you do the fancy linking in your signature? I tried to with phorum code and Computer said NO

• RMweb Gold

I for one am glad you 'complained' - I'm eagerly following your thread now for updates and love the era and style of your layout!

• RMweb Premium

I read these threads a lot for ideas and inspiration my own layout, though I do not comment - my skills are nothing compared to many on here so I stay silent.

Part of the issue I feel is that topics fall off the front page or second page very quickly. I like Marshfield but today its down on page 5, and unless people "bump" threads they often get lost pages back. Every so often a thread I forgot about gets updated and hits page one again. Your last thread post was only six days ago. That isn't a long time to have been pushed to page 5. (Edit: I know bumping for bumping sake is frowned upon)

I, too, read these threads out of interest and for inspiration, ideas, methods, etc, being new to modelling and rmweb. A problem with being a newbie is that you wonder if, by posting to a forum, you are saying the right thing or not, or repeating what's been stated elsewhere. I have ticked a 'like' button a few times, though.

I also wonder if this sub forum could be broken into sections, according toscale, region, type or period, for instance. This way, I could check up on, say, OO layouts, or Southern, BLT branch line terminus, then checkout other sections as time and interest allow, rather than spending time scrolling though the list in the hope of finding something relevant to the moment. The forum is great with lots of interesting information, news and ideas, but we, sadly, have to be selective. Maybe, subtopics, would help in that selectivity. Having said that, I do like to view layouts, full stop. If there's a bit of track and some rolling stock...and I do have my favourites whatever scale and design.

So, would dividing up the layouts section be appropriate? How should it be divided up? What do you think? Would it be useful to keep topics 'up' the list for longer and try to draw attention to new layouts/topics. Or has this all been debated before?

I'll have a look at Marshfield next. Look forward to watching the video. Bye for now. :bye:

Polly

It's a big forum and stuff moves down the page in less than an hour these days.

the more you update the more feedback you will get :) keep it on page one and we will all be there.....

Sounds like a recipe for nervous exhaustion, not a hobby...

I know the feeling with my last layout i did being it was my first i tried kept my topic upto date asked questionsbut had no answers. I always accept criticism good or bad but got hardly any. I mean i know my modelling is rubbish but always look for people to correct or help me with mistakes. In the end i ripped the layout up and have started again but not sure about starting a topic this time :S

I mean where did i go wrong with it i ask myself :(

Guest oldlugger

I've been updating progress on my layout by taking the trouble to post up phots etc of my layout, to total silence for weeks.

Is this the norm on RMWEB?

I'm not looking for praise, but some feedback would be good - good, bad or indifferent. Perhaps my layout is so shite that people are embarrassed to say!!

How do others feel? I know the ultra high class layouts (Birmingham Ns, Liverpool Lime St) get plenty of feedback, but for ordinary "Berts" like me, with mediocre skills, I've got to question why I apparently waste my time updating a thread that nobody apparently reads.

I bet no-one reads this either.

Hello retroman,

Your layout seems pretty popular to me and you have 17 followers which is very good. You've done a great job with the layout and deserve plenty of credit for what you've achieved so far. I think that the large prototype layouts that you refer to (BNS and LLS) command greater following mainly because people are curious to see an individual or a group of individuals put together something that is naturally very challenging, especially in the finer scales. The level of modelling skill also attracts people who want to be inspired, or ultimately blaze the prototype route themselves. I also think that regional specific layouts, modelled to a very high standard, really capture the imagination; I for one always hunt out the SR layouts, especially if modelled well in EM or P4. Don't get disheartened; after all your layout is for you and your own enjoyment and it couldn't matter a tinker's cuss what others think or don't think! Keep up the good works...

Cheers

Simon

PS - I noticed that the builder of Birmingham NS himself liked one of your photos; you must be doing something right!

Archived