Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Has the amount of stock been increased then to require additional sidings and loops.

We haven't yet tried to completely fill the fiddle yard but Mr Wealleans is itching to have a go and I suspect will succeed with his bottomless pit of goods stock.

Semi-seriously(!) the reason for this apparent further extension is no more than actually finishing off the layout as designed. The so called 'Nottingham' fiddle yard is designed as a further circuit round the layout - what you will see over the coming months is that it will continue along the rear of the full length of the fiddle yard then reconnect to the main circuit (the inner or up loop being via a flyover at the south end of the fiddle yard). This then allows the Nottingham-Peterborough goods traffic (primarily coal traffic) to be run and stabled in this new area of the fiddle yard. This in turn frees up three full-length roads in the main ECML fiddle yard. In total, there should be room for 26 trains. (3 streamliners, 5 teak sets, 2 fully fitted goods, 1 parcels train, 2 coal trains, 2 iron ore trains, 2 mixed goods trains, 2 ECML ordinary passenger sets, 2 Boston/Lincoln sets, 2 Nottingham/Leicester sets... it soon adds up!)

Even then, I suspect Mr Wealleans will be able to fill the remainder if we let him try... :senile:

Fill the fiddle yards? Between us all, no sweat. As well as the fish train, coal, the growing ironstone rake and more passenger stock of mine than we've ever had out the box at any one time, I can supply coal empties, a mixed goods rake (or maybe two) without even making a start on that show-box full of extra goods stock that came my way earlier in the year. A road or two full of locos would help to take up the space too.

• Like 1

ooh so a road for a Deltic plus eight!!! yippeeeddooo!

Get thee gone with thy vile smelly-box-on-wheels-that-goes-vrrooommmm contraption (unless it's the last hour on a Sunday!) :jester:

Looking forward to seeing the up and over.

What services will use it if I may ask.

Will be used by the loaded coal train heading south - ie it will appear from the Nottingham direction, cross over to the up main at the North end, take the up relief at Yard box and stay on the up relief at the south end which will set it up and over back into the new fiddle yard area. Same concept for an empty ironstone train from Stanton (Staveley). Interestingly, an alternative routing is available using the up/down goods avoiding line between the station and the depot and thence right across both mainlines at the south end

Fill the fiddle yards? Between us all, no sweat. As well as the fish train, coal, the growing ironstone rake and more passenger stock of mine than we've ever had out the box at any one time, I can supply coal empties, a mixed goods rake (or maybe two) without even making a start on that show-box full of extra goods stock that came my way earlier in the year. A road or two full of locos would help to take up the space too.

The '26 trains' calculation makes allowance for one or two areas of the fiddle yard to be made available for locos. And in fact, after some in-depth track planning with LNER4479 senior last night, we've upped the figure to 28 trains so you'll need to try that bit harder... :onthequiet:

Edited by LNER4479

I think Mr Foster has enough wagons to fill a sizeable lump of the yard as well.

News this morning from the remoter part of Grantham and the other S&T (Scenery & Trees) department:

DJH_C1_peascliffe_1_zps99c1b9b1.jpg

DJH_C1_peascliffe_2_zpsa0130c68.jpg

Pictures courtesy Paul Bolton.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 5

To be honest anything passing through the station at the permitted 70mph will be impressive.

I'm looking forward to the fiddle yard flyover becoming available, then with the full layout available we can try dragging a loaded coal train over the south junction from the Goods Relief. I enjoy these kind of moves

Paul 4475

I think 1 loco that would be great to see blasting through Grantham would be a double tender scotsman or would that be too late for the period of the railway.

About 30 years too late but... hey... happy to run anything on a one-off, 'silly hour' basis :senile:

• RMweb Premium

When you say that, Gilbert, you mean they were in the fiddle yard and you hadn't noticed them?  That really is something.

No, not those four Jonathan. :jester:  Being somewhat bored, but also exceedingly idle, I've been reading through some old Railway Observers, and I discovered observations of services that don't appear in the WTT. :scratchhead: It was a Friday before August Bank Holiday, so presumably they were "extra" extras, if you see what I mean. One was a KX - Newcastle, comprising just seven vehicles, one of them being a non corridor brake!

You didn't mention the Pullmans by the way?

Oops yes - good spot (I had mentally accounted for it but overlooked when I (foolishly) tried to list them all). :punish:

Yes - add one Pullman set (I know there should be more... but then there should be more of everything!). Just as well we found them two extra 'berths' last night! :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Get thee gone with thy vile smelly-box-on-wheels-that-goes-vrrooommmm contraption (unless it's the last hour on a Sunday!) :jester:

Oh good, a deltic plus eight, an EE Type 4 and 11, a Brush Class 4 and 8 .... and perhaps some big green Stanier engines.....

Baz

Oh good, a deltic plus eight, an EE Type 4 and 11, a Brush Class 4 and 8 .... and perhaps some big green Stanier engines.....

Baz

In which case, I'm going for a wander round to look at the other layouts in the last hour... :jester:

Nobody would be daft enough to build models of locos that never existed............

So, you're finally admitting to being a 'nobody', then are you?

post-16151-0-17997500-1418202959_thumb.jpg

(evidence for the prosecution)

• Like 1

Love the loco.

By coincidence i have just posted picture of my proposed standard 2-8-2 on my Dettingen thread. It seems the invasion of the nobodies gets worse.

Any one is able to join us if they want the liberation of going freestyle for a while. Like dr pepper, try it , you might like it.

post-23520-0-96551600-1418237206_thumb.jpg

i thought i would paste it here to save wandering over to my layout thread,

You are most welcome to though.

Richard

• Like 5