What engine would you model?

-missy-

Hello :)

I was talking to a good friend today about engines and one thing I asked him was regardless of if there is a kit or not what engine would you most like to make a model of. It then got me thinking and I thought I would ask the fellow 2mmFS modellers on here, so...

...Regardless of RTR, kits, etc, if you could make a 2mmFS model of any engine, what would you make?

M :)

• RMweb Gold

Gosh there's a poser. Well I have a long list of SDJR and MR engines I would like to build for Bath but the one real indulgence I fancy building in 2FS is Titfield (Lion) as seen in the film complete with Dan's home/coach on a lowmac see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-pEqKxXkus

Jerry

The opening shot of Lion is great but not sure where they got the idea that Titfield is on the Welsh borders in this film, its Monkton Combe, near Bath on the old Camerton line

• RMweb Premium

What would I like to model? The full set of East Coast Atlantics; the large boiler Ivatts, the NBR Reids, the NER Worsdell and Ravens and the GCR Robinsons. Speed machines I never saw but the step on the way to the Gresley A3s and A4s and the Peppercorn A1s. 251 in York is a magical beast to look on!

I don't know. I am currently working on a SRM, 2251, Saint, ... I have a small prairie and a 72xx part built. I have a hankering to build one of the French Atlantics but maybe if I had to pick my one locomotive would be 'Starling' or 'Queen Charlotte'.

• RMweb Premium

For me it has to be an LNER B7 (GCR 9Q) 4-6-0: http://www.lner.info/locos/B/b7.shtml

Simon

Nice choice, Simon, but I'd still go for GCR Class 1A (LNER B8) just so I could have a loco called 'Earl Roberts of Kandahar'. Those were the days when they knew how to name locomotives. Oh and no outside cylinders as an advantage over the B7!

http://www.lner.info/locos/B/b8.shtml

David

For me it would probably be a class 126 Swindon dmu, closely followed by a class 128 Parcels unit, then a 207 thumper unit and finally a class 206 Hastings unit,

but none of these are locos so I'm going to say A class 15 and a class 71

A Southern E1/R tank, useful for Westcountry branches or banking up the incline to Exeter Central from the 'other' station.

Wonder if the wheelbase is near enough to the Jinty for a bit of kit-butchery to provide the radial truck?

A Tennant 2-4-0. My favourite loco since I first stood on the footplate in Queen street museum. Aged four, I loved it but wouldn't let my dad touch the controls because I was scared it would immediately depart in the geneal direction of Scarborough. I wasn't buying the theory that it wouldn't go without a fire in the grate for any amount of money......

Nick F.

Even though I am midland ( LMS ) red through and through i fancy a rebuilt Merchant navy / west country they is locos I always have loved since having very vauge memories of being behind one to blandford forum when dad was stationed at blandford camp

Gosh there's a poser. Tthe one real indulgence I fancy building in 2FS is Titfield (Lion) as seen in the film complete with Dan's home/coach on a lowmac.

Jerry

I have a scale drawing for 'Lion' you know, Jerry......

I know it's a humble petrol loco, but for sheer quirkiness I think this would take some beating (not sure about the colour though);

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/7652242382/

Apart from that, a Sentinel or an Aveling & Porter geared loco would be nice, or a LNER Y7, or a ........aaaagh - too many choices! :scratchhead:

Andy :locomotive:

L&Y Aspinall Pug.No use whatsoever for one, but how cool would it be to have a 2mm one? (If I could find a drawing I'm actually half certain I could build one!)

Other than that a Cambrian Small Sharps 4-4-0, lovely elegant things. Again no use on my branch but one day...(I'm building a 2-4-0 which strictly never ran on the branch either, but it was light enough to have been able to, that may also satisfy Branwell above as they used the same locos)

• RMweb Gold

As I also model in 7mm and 16mm NG I find the larger sizes more suited to replicating particular locos. Whereas in 2mm you can model the railway in the landscape so my choice is for a setting rather than a particular loco. I better not start mentioning particular location or I will hijack the thread. Another factor in choice of locos is those I have driven. I have a pannier and a king in 7mm which leaves Dolgoch for 16mm live steam but I don't quite fancy buiding the Cabury's tank in 2mm Hmm a driving experience on a Manor would be nice and I will have a 2mm model with luck.....

Don

I bought the wheels for an ex-GNR Ivatt Atlantic. I made a former for making the footplate, but got no further. So that's top of my pile for my next scratchbuilt loco. I say next, but the last (and only one) was over 20 years ago.

Alan

Archived