The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Thanks AndyP, glad you enjoyed those. Without a back story, as you appreciate, there can be no story at all.

At Hintock I thought up a credible story line in the very beginning and it's fun to keep it spinning. It draws on my memories as much as anything.

• RMweb Premium

First, thank you for your continued interest in my Hinock Branch activities and for your likes and comments.

attachicon.gifHTK_0278-1.jpg

Second,among the scenic features of Port Bredy is the Quay.

No longer used commercially it nevertheless provides safe moorings for small craft. It is these that enhance the scene.

attachicon.gifDSCN5791-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5792-1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0021-1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0021-1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0024-1.jpg

It took me some while to find suitable small craft and finally found them under ship model accessories. The smaller started life as a Mantua life boat kit, the larger a cheap plastic model. Both had full hulls so I filed down that of the first and cut about 3/8" off the bottom of the other replacing with it with card. Both now would sit flat in the water.

To them both I added fore and aft decks, added a motor from scrap, plus other small changes, and in their bottoms fisherman's gear. When painted and done, and before pouring the "water" I added the mooring lines. Interestingly the water found its way into the bottom of the larger and making another realistic touch.

What they represent are the stoutly built old wooden ships lifeboats sold out of service and adapted for local (non-commercial) fishing.

attachicon.gifHTK_0043-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_0048-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_0073-1.jpg

The smaller boat "Peggy" is owned by Reg Fortt the Leading Porter at Port Bredy, the larger "Indomitable" by the Ganger Sandy Mac Pherson, an ex RN Cowswain. After finishing work they invariably go out into the Bay and see what they can bring home in the way of fish like mackerel, or from their pots crab or lobster.

I always look at your efforts with admiration, but this latest batch seem to be a notch above the usual high standard.

Adrian

Back On topic:

attachicon.gifHTK_0238-1.jpg

Hi John,

In the last but one photo of the post, the last of Hintock, you have reached the extreme left of your maps for the Hintock station and environs layout. BTW the neat mirror "trick" under the Bridge had me doing a double take, thinking there was more beyond.

What interests me is finding that your plan to deploy Ground signals has materialised very promptly and I'm wondering why one is required perching on a bracket off the Main home signal. I'm thinking only a single track ahead to Port Bredy, why a Ground Signal here in combination with the Home?

Colin

Colin, when I come to the edge of a map I always want to know what lies ahead. Here it eventually brought me to Hintock Town Quay and then Port Bredy. The question then arises what is between?

That remains to be seen.

But, to answer your inquiry as to the ground signal on the Home signal.  it is a "shunt signal' that allows a train movement forward within Station Limits and into the next section for shunting purposes.

This avoids the need to bell such a movement into the Section and pull off the Home signal.

In the image the Home is off as the train is proceeding to Port Bredy.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone interested in signalling in general and (G)WR signalling in particular might find this thread of interest. The post at the top of the second page will have some relevance here but really needs to read in conjunction with some posts on the previous page and others in the thread -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48504-gwr-signals-and-where-they-go/page-2

John,

First class and enjoyable as always. Hintock is one of the very few threads that I follow in the voluminous "Layout Topics" forum on RMWeb. Having a good back story always helps and I had much fun creating fictional characters for my erstwhile Abersoch and Boduan Junction Cambrian layouts.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Chris

Gentlemen, I do value your interest in my activities and appreciate your commendations. Thank you.

post-3088-0-07562300-1495031200_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile this was the scene over my back deck this morning.

post-3088-0-36664100-1495031226_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way this was the scene in evening sun on Saturday.

post-3088-0-80320400-1495031249_thumb.jpg

However, back on topic, here is a summer scene at Port Bredy. A M7 straight from the shop across the Atlantic.

And this was the scene at HTQ about that that time.

post-3088-0-51085000-1495031272_thumb.jpg

But progress has been made.

post-3088-0-22483800-1495031303_thumb.jpg

Also as here.

post-3088-0-20718000-1495031323_thumb.jpg

Now for my morning walk

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

It's weird weather for sure......that first photo looked like my deck a few weeks ago.......right now we have non stop rain interspersed with hail storms!

Good to see the progress made with HTQ

Best wishes

John

Hello John,

Yes it is. Your rain, in the form of showers will be reaching us next. I can see the clouds banking up in the NW.

It certainly makes things very green. Looks more like Oregon currently.

My regards,

AndyP, it was you who foresaw a re-build. I was hoping for something less.

But having started I'd thought I'd do it properly and now I'm in midst of it.

The last image is a foretaste of what is to come. I'm quite happy with things so far.

PS on Edit

I'd been looking for a M7 to replace the O2 and I got this as a Hatton's pre-owned in pristine condition and it runs very sweetly.

Gentlemen, as always thank you for your interest and to keep you up to date below is where I'm currently at in the rebuild of HTQ..

post-3088-0-71401500-1495305757_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-05539500-1495305786_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-11356300-1495305814_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-89041200-1495305835_thumb.jpg

In summary two new sidings have been added, the running line slewed, the back scene repainted and fixing with coving in LH corner added (but not yet blended in), buildings decided on (some in course of building/adaption) and greenery positioned to give some notion of the final affect.

There are fifteen wagons on display and a 1F in charge. I'm then looking forward to out of that number, picking up, and setting out wagons in say trains of say four or five wagons using my card system.

Experience of working will reveal if these numbers are feasible. What I don't want is HTQ to be cluttered with too many wagons for comfort or, it may show it could accommodate more. I'm pleasantly surprise how with the fifteen it still retains a spacious air.

PS, it will not be entered in the not a cameo layout competition.

Gentlemen, as always thank you for your interest and to keep you up to date below is where I'm currently at in the rebuild of HTQ..

attachicon.gifHTK_0323-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_0327-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_0326-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_0321-1.jpg

In summary two new sidings have been added, the running line slewed, the back scene repainted and fixing with coving in LH corner added (but not yet blended in), buildings decided on (some in course of building/adaption) and greenery positioned to give some notion of the final affect.

There are fifteen wagons on display and a 1F in charge. I'm then looking forward to out of that number, picking up, and setting out wagons in say trains of say four or five wagons using my card system.

Experience of working will reveal if these numbers are feasible. What I don't want is HTQ to be cluttered with too many wagons for comfort or, it may show it could accommodate more. I'm pleasantly surprise how with the fifteen it still retains a spacious air.

PS, it will not be entered in the not a cameo layout competition.

Hi John, Very nice indeed and as you say, uncluttered despite so many Wagons.

I assume your NOT having a Fiddle / Staging Yard on this one, but just going to use it as an Inglenook Shunting Layout in it's own right.

Yes Scott, it's knowing when to stop is the trick.

What I like about it is that is such a handy size and were I still in the exhibition game in the UK I'd happily take it,when invited. HTQ has a lot to offer. Size, scenic,operation.

And thanks Martyn, I'm very fortunate to have the space. It's also as above.

But I agree Hintock does look very well in those shots. What I like about it too is all I have to do is to switch on and start running.

With all three ever ready to go, Hintock, Port Bredy, Hintock Town Quay it's as the mood takes me.

Every time I pop in to visit Hintock something new seems to happen. Either with the layout or your weather. The new work on HTQ looks to have been the right direction to go in as, now, everything seems to flow smoothly from one end to the other. It must take great courage to mostly scrap what is an already finished, and to most, a perfect layout and start afresh.

But when you do something wonderful seems to happen and you end up with a model even better than the first attempt.

As always, John, keep up the great work and I can't wait to see the end result.

AndyM, those are kind words and much appreciated. The original HTQ was good in its way but as time went on I felt dis-satisfied and that I could do better. I also wanted to try out some new ideas as adding sidings and a station building with a platform extending beyond and through a bridge.

The latter has turned out very well as have the two additional sidings and the slewed dunning line. I left the front alone with the hint of the Quay itself but the enlarged back area gave the opportunity to enhance the scenics. I think I now have it all "right" in that regard and the operational aspects too are much improved.

Of course, I didn't get there in one go-the false steps along the way have not been chronicled.

And whilst posting members might be interested in HTQ's finished dimensions; these are length back 4'9, front 5'6, width L 1'7, R 1'9.

The points are Peco, the track American HO Atlas code 100.

And I forgot to mention in my layouts ready to run, there is also Mesquite, American HO.

AndyM, those are kind words and much appreciated. The original HTQ was good in its way but as time went on I felt dis-satisfied and that I could do better. I also wanted to try out some new ideas as adding sidings and a station building with a platform extending beyond and through a bridge.

The latter has turned out very well as have the two additional sidings and the slewed dunning line. I left the front alone with the hint of the Quay itself but the enlarged back area gave the opportunity to enhance the scenics. I think I now have it all "right" in that regard and the operational aspects too are much improved.

Of course, I didn't get there in one go-the false steps along the way have not been chronicled.

And whilst posting members might be interested in HTQ's finished dimensions; these are length back 4'9, front 5'6, width L 1'7, R 1'9.

The points are Peco, the track American HO Atlas code 100.

And I forgot to mention in my layouts ready to run, there is also Mesquite, American HO.

Thanks for adding your dimensions here John, and in the recent E-Mail, very useful and almost the same dimensions as I ended up with on Porth Merryn.

Your recent pics from the new camera have come out well and you must be pleased with the camera and it's results.

All the best and I look forward to the NEXT PROJECT!

• RMweb Gold

I've been pondering freight operations for a while and have a couple of questions on your system.

I assume the freight length is specified in the schedule? I couldn't see any mention of this on either the web blog or the RM article? 

You have stated that run in cuts of 1-2-3 wagons. What drove you to use this system and how do you group them? Do you feel that some wagons should always travel together as they are serving the same purpose? I was thinking of a one wagon to one card in my system. 

Do you list where certain wagons must be delivered to? Milk etc is fairly obvious, but do other trucks contain certain loads that you know must be taken to a certain siding?

I've had a book for a long time with the american style system of waybills, iI've always been fascinated by it, but felt it would need a very large layout to really move traffic from a to b to c. Maybe one day :)

I think that's enough for today :) Many thanks in advance.

Congratulations to you John; you seem to have ' reimagined' , to use  a contemporary term, the Inglenook. The use of the curved baseboard shape, the slewed main line, and extra sidings have certainly taken the concept further, and makes the layout look busier and bigger than it is reality. Have Chris Ellis and Jack Trollop been informed? I would have had one of the two extra sidings going the other way , parallel to the head shunt, possibly to a small industry. This would have made shunting more of a challenge. Your use of scratch built buildings though,  means that you can be flexible with your compositions too-something that ready to plant buildings don't give us

fond regards

Paul

Scott, you are asking two questions and I shall reply specifically to those,

1. I have some singletons and rakes of wagons, the latter are generally of a like nature, eg, vans to Hintock Farmers Trading Society siding. or others to a suitable siding that would handle them like coal or of a less specific nature. The singletons are to precise locations.

Having them as rakes also saves on Kadee couplings which thus need only be on the ends of the rakes.

The added benefit is that it adds a complexity to the number of wagons in a train. See next. 

2. The number of wagons in a train is determined by the length of the holding siding in the fiddle yard and the length of the statio loop, and the random number for the number of wagons in the train which must always be the same or less.

To explain this before drawing cards for trains leaving Hintock first a numbered card is drawn, say 6, if singletons and rakes exceed that the last card is not used, ie, say rake of 3, 2 singletons, rake of 3 = 8, the last card is discarded and the train is made up of the 5 remaining.

This introduces a random quality into train size.

These and other matters I do deal with in my website. And there you will get a better appreciation of the method as a whole rather that trying to comprehend individual parts in isolation.

Its merit is that once set up and running it needs no other paper work.

If when you have looked at the site and still have questions please feel free to ask for more answers.

Archived