The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Thanks Martyn for those appreciative words, although sometimes I do feel as if I'm repeating myself I try and ring the changes around the central theme.

Of course, one of the most important factors is I'm fortunate to have the space to indulge these different pursuits.

And AndyP, glad you like the buildings-all scratch built-- and  as you put it  "...loads of shunting potential..." and that's the name (as it is yours) of my game.

Excellent John. Good to see again emphasis on operation... as said before so often under discussed on the web.

Regards Andy R

Operation is my principle interest and foremost in a credible setting.

Among the many facets of operation is shunting, How I achieve that I have described here on this thread (somewhere) using order and method,.and it is fully described on my website, link below to http://hintockbranch.com/

Managed properly It can be both an intellectual challenge and fun.

These following images demonstrate where that happens.

DSCN0372-1.jpg

Shunting, switching more correctly in the local parlance, on my late Providence River in American HO. (That layout is now being re-built as Mesquite.)

DSCN4334-1.jpg

An SR E4 briings into Hintock the morning goods from Yeovil with an eight wagon train. That's stimulating exercise putting eight away and picking eight up for departure.

DSCN5280-1.jpg

On another occasion shunting Hintock's Sheepcroft Yard.

DSCN4372-1.jpg

My stand alone Inglenook Hintock Town Quay, Mk 1.

DSCN5256-1.jpg

HTQ, Mk 2.

DSCN5697-1.jpg

And, my current endeavour: shunting in GWR fashion at Port Bredy and that I'm in the process of completing.

Thanks gentlemen for your 'likes" and AndyR for the most recent comment and St Enodoc's agreement with it. Yes, Operation is the essence of my enjoyment of this hobby.

It always seems so obvious to me that after working hard to create a layout the next step is of running it in a reasonably prototypical manner. And, of course, the layout originally laid out with that object in mind. It's not difficult to achieve.

I have set out my thoughts on that in some depth on my website and rather write at length here, I commend the site (link below) to any who wish to consider it further. Anyone having done so and with any questions arising I am more than happy to respond.

Meantime, below operation in action at Hintock. The image has been posted previously but, I suggest, worth a second look. In operational terms it represents the arrival of an SR goods and which enables the GWR passenger train for Weymouth to depart.

post-3088-0-39260200-1488815441_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-39906100-1488900274_thumb.jpg

Happy gentleman you approved of that last image, and because of the interest I thought I would provide some context for it. These two images show the wider scene. I

What could be seen tin that image was part of the back scene that represents the loading/unloading bank of the renowned Crown Prince Brewery. (In composing my pictures I always try to hint at what else there might be.on the periphery.)

Here, at the bank is handled the rail traffic in full casks and barrels for delivery and the inward empties. These can be seen to the left where they await inspection, if damaged they go into the cooperage (behind them) for attention. The outward traffic is to the right where they stand in order (in front of the canopied doors). Ale wagons are usually to be found here along with vans and opens.

This, of course, is where only part of the breweries output is handled, that for more local delivery is by road and dispatched elsewhere.

Taken altogether it is a whole story.

One other small matter is that I added a fall plate to the 700 and which makes the crew far more comfortable. It also enhances the already handsome appearance of the loco.

post-3088-0-51344800-1488900300_thumb.jpg

Operation is my principle interest and foremost in a credible setting.

Among the many facets of operation is shunting, How  I achieve that I have described here on this thread (somewhere) using order and method,.and it is fully described on my website, link below to http://hintockbranch.com/

Managed properly It can be both an intellectual challenge and fun.

These following images demonstrate where that happens.

I looked at the image below and thought that blue tank wagon looks a bit garish for Hintock.  It was ages before I spotted the two Union Pacific locos that gave the scene away.  Must get down to the opticians asap :senile:

Just goes to show how colours can draw the eye in and obliterate the rest of the scene.  All nice modelling again John.

post-15323-0-80020200-1489007541.jpg

Mick, thanks, and also gentlemen, for the likes, there is a lot to be said for modeling "American" and I enjoy it, though recently Port Bredy has occupied my time. When that episode is more or less done-apart from the playing and refinements that come with use, I'm looking forward to completing Mesquite. I can run it but there's still work to do.

What I like about American is the reliability and robustness of it. Those two UP locos I've had for well over twenty years and even after sitting idle for months immediately spring to life, they are heavy and together have sixteen wheel pick up and run like trams. Too there is so much else on offer, buy any structure/building kit and you can bash it to your heart's delight and still have innumerable bits and pieces left over-and useful in other constructions. Great fun.

This thread isn't the place to develop these observations but when I get Mesquite going there I will add further comments. Of course, as I remarked earlier, I'm fortunate to have the space to indulge myself in this regard.

post-3088-0-61277800-1489086977_thumb.jpg

I decided to indulge myself by posting this totally OT image, but a very appealing one for those who like these things, of my trusty GP9's on Providence River (as was.)

A right click brings it up a treat.

Next posting will concern Port Bredy and recent developments.

post-3088-0-94639000-1489250828_thumb.jpg

Port Bredy now has station name boards, as above. ( A right click will bring up the detail.)

To those unfamiliar with the story of the Hintock Branch the Pennsylvania Castle Hotel is owned and operated by the GWR .The castle was built in the later 1800's by descendants of William Penn, hence the name, in Victorian folly fashion and occupies a fine position on a headland overlooking West Bay and the English Channel, just outside of Port Bredy. But the owners fell on hard times, the structure was neglected until acquired by the GWR in the 1920's. They then made a large investment and turned it into one of their premier hotels. Due too to the mild and temperate winters of the Vale of Hintock it has a year round patronage.

To serve it there are connecting rail services on the Branch at Hintock Junction (on the Bristol-Weymouth main line) and in the summer through trains from Birkenhead (Woodside) via Granby and Bristol to Port Bredy. Between the station and the hotel is a GWR motor omnibus service.

post-3088-0-84717300-1489250871_thumb.jpg

The front: simply made with the artwork generated on my computer, printed on fine card, then mounted on white card-to form the borders-its supports are lengths of code 100 rail.

Below;the back.

post-3088-0-88443200-1489250922_thumb.jpg

Yes, thanks Andy it came together very nicely.

And again yes, it is idyllic and I'd have been happy to meet you there some day.

It's namesake, not far distant across the bay, we stayed at (no longer in business though as its reverted to domestic occupation) on visits to an ancient aunt and still today my sons have very pleasant memories of it, as do I.

Thanks Martyn, it would be well suited to that use. You keep me up to date.

A delightful spot it is, sheltered and with that superb view across Weymouth Bay.

Below in Church Ope Cove it was where my Great great grandfather John (1823) engaged in smuggling. It was there too where his father-in-law (undoubtedly they did it together) Isaac, after an affray with the Excise was sentenced to death for maiming an officer. Reprieved he served a few years hard labour ( but what was that to a quarry man) and died peacefully in his bed.

To those unfamiliar with the story of the Hintock Branch the Pennsylvania Castle Hotel is owned and operated by the GWR .The castle was built in the later 1800's by descendants of William Penn, hence the name, in Victorian folly fashion and occupies a fine position on a headland overlooking West Bay and the English Channel, just outside of Port Bredy. But the owners fell on hard times, the structure was neglected until acquired by the GWR in the 1920's. They then made a large investment and turned it into one of their premier hotels. Due too to the mild and temperate winters of the Vale of Hintock it has a year round patronage.

To serve it there are connecting rail services on the Branch at Hintock Junction (on the Bristol-Weymouth main line) and in the summer through trains from Birkenhead (Woodside) via Granby and Bristol to Port Bredy. Between the station and the hotel is a GWR motor omnibus service.

Hi John,

fascinating background but am I missing something? It seems the hotel location is nearer to the large main station at Weymouth, why go via Port Bredy (aka Bridport as I understand it)?

Colin

Colin, no. If you look at my Website http://www.hintockbranch.com/ in Part 2 I describe the location of the Hintock Branch with a sketch map.

This shows the GWR/SR lines in (my)Dorset and the Joint GWR/SR Branch coming off the Bristol-Weymouth main line at Hintock Junction, and running southward toward the English Channel, passing through Hintock and onward to Port Bredy.

I gave great thought to all this at the outset because it gives me the scope of operation I desired. Equally I considered the machinations of the GWR, L&SWR and not forgetting the MR in the early days when railways first came to Dorset. Each endeavouring to gain the upper hand. I have shortly dealt with this in the Website and in more detail in other published items.

In the real world Hintock Junction is Maiden Newton, Hintock Redux (to give its correct name) is Bridport and Port Bredy is West Bay. And the Hintock Branch the GWR Bridport Branch.

Colin, no. If you look at my Website http://www.hintockbranch.com/ in Part 2 I describe the location of the Hintock Branch with a sketch map.

This shows the GWR/SR lines in (my)Dorset and the Joint GWR/SR Branch coming off the Bristol-Weymouth main line at Hintock Junction, and running southward toward the English Channel, passing through Hintock and onward to Port Bredy.

I gave great thought to all this at the outset because it gives me the scope of operation I desired. Equally I considered the machinations of the GWR, L&SWR and not forgetting the MR in the early days when railways first came to Dorset. Each endeavouring to gain the upper hand. I have shortly dealt with this in the Website and in more detail in other published items.

In the real world Hintock Junction is Maiden Newton, Hintock Redux (to give its correct name) is Bridport and Port Bredy is West Bay. And the Hintock Branch the GWR Bridport Branch.

Hi John,

Still don't understand why GWR wanted to run visitors thru West Bay to the hotel or is that purely in your "modified" version with Port Bredy. Weymouth (also GWR/SR) is after all much nearer the hotel.

Colin

post-3088-0-35594400-1489410912_thumb.jpg

Colin,  sorry you seem to be having trouble with this.but the Pennsylvania Castle Hotel is neither in, nor on the outskirts of Weymouth.

It is sited on a headland not far west of Port Bredy that itself is further west of the westerly end of the 18 mile Chesil Beach from Portland and behind which on Weymouth Bay is Weymouth.

Port Bredy at the southerly end of the Hintock Branch is the nearest railway station to the hotel.

It is not a "seaside" hotel, as such, but more in the nature of a premier country hotel as the GWR styled and marketed many of their hotels.

The map above is not to scale but proportionately correct.

Sorry John I appear to have caused confusion.

Colin, I've lived in the area where John has a long family history for the last 12 years and do sometimes throw comments in like this as John has used some names from this area, sorry if it has confused you. I live on Portland in Dorset.  Follow John's back story, it really is enthralling and the railways of this area are fascinating. John has captured a bygone era really effectively as we know.

Martyn

attachicon.gifMAPhintock-1.jpg

Colin,  sorry you seem to be having trouble with this.but the Pennsylvania Castle Hotel is neither in, nor on the outskirts of Weymouth.

It is sited on a headland not far west of Port Bredy that itself is further west of the westerly end of the 18 mile Chesil Beach from Portland and behind which on Weymouth Bay is Weymouth.

Port Bredy at the southerly end of the Hintock Branch is the nearest railway station to the hotel.

It is not a "seaside" hotel, as such, but more in the nature of a premier country hotel as the GWR styled and marketed many of their hotels.

Hi John,

If I understand you correctly now, the Hotel of your setting has same name but with different history (GWR ownership bit) and location from the actual place that you / Mullie reminisce about in posts # 1764 /5?

What confused me, in addition to those posts, was reference from what seemed to be authoritative sources that Pennsylvania castle Hotel is actually on Portland  see. http://www.geoffkirby.co.uk/Portland/695710/#Castle

The dates when it was an hotel don't match your story line but it seemed improbable that there were 2 such establishments in the locale.

It's an area I don't know well having only visited Weymouth once as a youngster and then only by train; a serious return / exploration has been added high up on my must do list :)

Colin

Nice map which explains alt to us all John. You could include Hawkinsfield Junction in there feeding the Abbotsbury branch off the joint GWR line near Weymouth and we will cover all the area by our two respective layouts!

Just supposing....

But in all seriousness John your overall scenario continues to be helpful to me in my thinking of my next stage of layout building for which I am grateful.

Regards Andy R

MAPhintock-1.jpg

Colin, sorry you seem to be having trouble with this.but the Pennsylvania Castle Hotel is neither in, nor on the outskirts of Weymouth.

Nice map which explains alt to us all John. You could include Hawkinsfield Junction in there feeding the Abbotsbury branch off the joint GWR line near Weymouth and we will cover all the area by our two respective layouts!

Just supposing....

But in all seriousness John your overall scenario continues to be helpful to me in my thinking of my next stage of layout building for which I am grateful.

Regards Andy R

MAPhintock-1.jpg

Colin, sorry you seem to be having trouble with this.but the Pennsylvania Castle Hotel is neither in, nor on the outskirts of Weymouth.

Thanks AndyR, and to all you other gentlemen for your interest, as I said at the outset  I gave a lot of thought to the overall Hintock scenario and I'm glad if it helps you put yours together. Without one and a central theme a focus is lacking and the layout suffers as a result.

Mine has demonstrated its robustness with my being able to introduce the S&DR connection down from Sturminster Newton and, after posting the map  realized I hadn't added the SR connection to Charford via Hintock and on to Yeovil. That I shall remedy.

To me John, the Map fully explains all the workings of Hintock and Port Bready admirably, and as you have shown me previously, is essential for a proper working Model Railway.

Now, how about some more of those inspirational pics please.

To me John, the Map fully explains all the workings of Hintock and Port Bready admirably, and as you have shown me previously, is essential for a proper working Model Railway.

Now, how about some more of those inspirational pics please.

Absolutely agree Andy P

Regards Andy R

Archived