The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

John

Hintock looks great as susual.

As you may know I also work with mirrors. This is a photo of two wagons on Rickett Street, my micro layout, hopefully creating the illusion that this is not the end of the layout.

post-12773-0-31080400-1450543435_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy, and as you will have seen it is now up to date (a joint effort between me and son,Christopher) with blogs on what eventually was to lead to the creation of Hintock TQ. And as you remark and although I say it myself, it is a good read.

Next thing is to add to the Picture Gallery.

The points are worked digitally-my fingers. I'm no electrical expert and this method saves me any work on that account. More to the point (pun unintended) I consider hand operation more relistic as it's akin to the actions of the signalman setting the road or the shunter working in the sidings. With a small layout like Hintock I think its a more fitting method as it  also avoids getting involved in the complexities of wiring, switches and point motors. All customarily requiring work/attention under the baseboard!  

I know you and many others opt for electrical control-but it's not just for me.

Thanks John, I found out this morning when running small Panniers and Prairies that some of my Seep / Gaugemaster PM1's are not throwing enough EVERY TIME to activate the polarity switch to the frog, so that's a real pain.

Keep it simple, works every time. :locomotive:  :locomotive: :locomotive:  

post-3088-0-74288300-1450643526_thumb.jpg

As Martn's atmospheric post so amptly demonstrated, mirrors positioned carefully and viewed from the correct angle do add so much to the scene and to its continuance. They open rather than close.

This image should be compared to my previous one (# 1175) of much the same scene, but viewed by but a slightly different viewpoint. They are a whole world apart. One is off, the other spot on.

And Andy, that's why I opt for my digital method. It's more reliable.

John,

I agree with Andy, pure railway atmosphere encapsulated! Thank you for the digital book as well, very professional and a useful aide to anyone starting out - some of the 'how to' books can be very patronising, something that can't be levelled at you.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas,John or as we say in Wales.......

Nadolig Llawen !!

Best wishes,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

I knew I had seen that mirror photo before  - but could not think why it seemed familiar.

And then I realised the book was in it.  Even then it took a while for the penny to drop.  Just goes to show how good a photo it is that I did not initially notice the book when looking at the photo for the second time.   Either that or I am getting old.

So in the end  my vote goes to your grand-daughter for the Christmas card.  I cannot see the book in that!

Merry X-mas.

attachicon.gifDSCN5014-1.jpg

As Martn's atmospheric post so amptly demonstrated, mirrors positioned carefully and viewed from the correct angle do add so much to the scene and to its continuance. They open rather than close.

This image should be compared to my previous one (# 1175) of much the same scene, but viewed by but a slightly different viewpoint. They are a whole world apart. One is off, the other spot on.

And Andy, that's why I opt for my digital method. It's more reliable.

John

Are you referring to the PM1 problem, when you talk about digital method and if so would be interested to hear what you use

Lovely Christmas card by the way

Richard

As I said to AndyM all the credit for the card is due to grand-daughter Holly as she is an accomplished youg lady.

Rob: I appreciate that for I wouldn't have known although I did have a Welsh speaking maternal grand father from Caernarfon, N Wales.

Bogie: it's not either/or, you can tick both boxes.

As to the book I had been using it to set my camera on for other shots and its inclusion was inadvertant. These shots are difficult to get as I can't get behind the camera in the usual way so hence sighting is hit and miss. Here it's more hit than miss. I could have cropped but I didn't. And, if you are curious  the book is Trollpe's "Last Chronicle of Barset."

Richard: You've lost me with "PM1". but maybe you hadn't seen my post to Andy, #1178. I'm glad you liked the card.

And to all others who have looked but not "liked" I thank you for your interest.

Good Evening John,

I too would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year from Joanna and I. Your granddaughter is indeed very accomplished - that card is simply superb. I should have had the sense to ask my grandchildren!

Kind regards,

Jock.

post-3088-0-99624400-1451346860_thumb.jpg

The carcase of Green & Black's premises is clothed in Slater's plasticard, the windows are from Tichy trains (US, no connction and they have a very wide range), the roof is card, guttering is code 100 rail and the downspouts plastic rod. The paints used are inexpensive acrylics.

post-3088-0-52543500-1451346793_thumb.jpg

The basis of the bank is a length of polystyrene packing, covered with paper towel and fixed with dilute white glue, brown paint applied liberally, more dilute white glue, fine (real) earth and a mixture of Woodland scenic grasses. All liberally wettened thoroughly with a fine spray of 'wet' water. Left for 24 hours when more dilute glue run over it, grasses added and small shrubs. Again left and the procedures continued as necessary. It takes several days to dry out completely.

I prefer to depict the shorter grasses (not the longer so often depicted) as the banks in those early days were cut by the PW gang for hay to be fed the company's horses. It also helped to preventline side fires.

The posts for the fence I planted first. I do not add the horizontal wires. They cannot be seen at more than say 50' distance, and this view point is further away than that.

post-3088-0-00936600-1451346910_thumb.jpg

A more picturesque shot.

post-3088-0-54689300-1451346715_thumb.jpg

The entire completed scene and worth a RH click, as are the other images.

A superb tutorial as always John. I wanted to take the opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year (important to us Scots!) as I should be in Colchester General Hospital at 7am on the 31st for a hernia operation so I may be 'off-air'for a few days.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thank you Jock, but it is you who need the Good Wishes and you certainly have them from me. I trust all will go well for you.

I look forward to your return in better order. And to a 2016 that will see you on the way to improved health..

Kindest regards,

John.

• RMweb Gold

I love the Christmas card John. Top marks to Holly. I found in 0 gauge it was not always easy to access the turnouts if vehicles were parked in front of them so I used a bit of plastruct tubing from the baseboard edge to the turnout. A piece of brass wire pushed through and the end wrapped round the end of the tiebar allowed a simple push pull from the edge of the baseboard with no adjustment needed.

Don

Donw, Holly will be pleased when  I tell her of these further acclamations of her skills and am glad you liked the card. She did it very quickly and I was fascinated to watch her manipulate the image. 

Thanks for that about operating the points. I used a not dis-similar method on Little Hintock in the 70's. There instead of Peco I had Marcway points (because they had live frogs) and Gem Track with  more realistic sleeper spacing, drilling a hole in the tie bar and inserted a bent and tapered end of a bicycle spoke to push/pull across the baseboard. It was a robust method and served me well at the time and still would today.

Armin: thank you for those kind wishes that I reciprocate. May 2016 be kind to us all.

Ingenuity is to me very much the name of this game. When I started there was little or none of the "stuff" available today and old habits die hard. In any event I dislike spending money on things i can do for myself. It's half the fun. I think you do too!

post-3088-0-42451000-1451620663_thumb.jpg

My very BEST WISHES FOR A HAPPY NEW YEAR, and may it treat us all kindly in regard to our healh and happiness.

May I also thank your interest in and appreciation of the Hintock Branch as it was and is seen on a beautiful summers day in the rural Dorset of the 1930's. It gives me pleasure and enjoyment and if I can share some of that I'm very pleased.

I'm too pleased to show, above and below where the Hintock branch is going next: for through the bridge the branch will continue (in a virtual manner) by way of an extension to Port Bredy.

It will be noted also that this end of HTQ has benefited from enhancement, The result being the line now really looks as if it's leading somewhere.

post-3088-0-29512600-1451620700_thumb.jpg

And, this is where it's headed:-

post-3088-0-86067000-1451620730_thumb.jpg

This rough shot above shows the very beginnings of Port Bredy and below it taken a stage further. More details will follow in due course.

post-3088-0-89286700-1451620748_thumb.jpg

Bringing this layout to a successful conclusion is a nice prospect for the coming year. 

EDITED 01/02/2016 to say thanks for the 'likes'.

Archived