The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, John. As I have said over on the relevant thread, your work has provided much inspiration.

My layout now has a name, Sheep Lane. It is already providing much enjoyment for the family, not just me. The beauty of a small layout, for me at least, is you only have to spend a short time working on it to see the build move forward in leaps and bounds. With a busy home and work life this is just what is needed.

Again, thank you for sowing the seed.

Rob

Rob,

It's my pleasure and I'm sure Sheep Lane-a name with a touch of atmosphere-will go on to give you and your family great enjoyment and satisfaction. I'm happy to have sown the seed now it's for you to nurture as I have no doubt you will.

One doesn't need a ginormous layout with every bell and whistle costing an arm and leg whilst taking forever to complete to have fun. You are demonstrating that.

Every good wish to you and Sheep Lane (I think I can see some family influence there.)

And whilst writing "Thanks" to all who like and appreciate what I am attemting to do with Port Bredy. That is in showing the merits of a small layout credible in itself and fun to operate.

My regards,

Hi John -day off and so catching up with threads in some spare time. I have to admit I had halted my search for a M7 on the model shop sites, but after reading your comments and seeing it working into Hintock I am again captured on its simple beauty and will renew my search for one!

Good educational photos of the new layout also. Thanks, Andy R

To follow up my previous posts and where I thank you for your likes and comments, I thought you would appreciate a further post.

post-3088-0-55650800-1453390918_thumb.jpg

And, given the recent interest in M7's and 700's here are several images showing them in working, and resting modes at Hintock.

post-3088-0-38068800-1453390881_thumb.jpg

The M7 is seen running into Hintock on its out and return working of a local passenger train plus van (but minus tail lamp-see next) from Yeovil up to Templecombe, across to Sturminster Newton and down to Hintock Junction via the S&DR and Hintock and back to Yeovil on the Joint GWR/SR line.

Passenger traffic is light, parcels substantial but well patronized on market days in Dorchester, and by school children.

post-3088-0-70744200-1453390822_thumb.jpg

The 700 has taken refuge in Sheepcroft Yard in course of shunting the Dorchester/Yeovil goods so as to leave the running line free for the passenger to arrive, run and depart. It will then continue with its business.

post-3088-0-82648700-1453390790_thumb.jpg

The 700's crew, Frank Beames, the driver and Jock Lyon his fireman will take the opportunity as it is mid day, to have a brew and some sausages on the shovel for their lunch.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely images, John.

I was also running a M7 this morning, over breakfast on Sheep Lane.

They really are lovely models. I must say that I am tempted by a Maunsell green example.

Rob.

post-3088-0-56047500-1453563581_thumb.jpg

Thank you gentlemen for your continuing interest in Hintock and for your likes, as they are appreciated.

Rob too, I'm glad to know you enjoy the delights of Sheep Lane alongside those of your breakfast. That is, as you are finding and sharing with us, one of the plesures of a small and ready to hand layout.

post-3088-0-92702000-1453563546_thumb.jpg

Two more images and that I think, speak for themselves.

John -these images of the M7 at work back up my decision to purchase my first loco on ebay...I have a M7 in the post from UK thanks to having your encouragement.look forward to chipping it and then setting it  loose on Hawkinsfield.

regards, Andy R

attachicon.gifDSCN5289-1.jpg

Thank you gentlemen for your continuing interest in Hintock and for your likes, as they are appreciated.

Rob too, I'm glad to know you enjoy the delights of Sheep Lane alongside those of your breakfast. That is, as you are finding and sharing with us, one of the plesures of a small and ready to hand layout.

attachicon.gifDSCN5286-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5289-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5286-1.jpg

post-3088-0-80702100-1454009362_thumb.jpg

There has been a particular interest recently in Rob's E4 and AndyP's dairy.....

post-3088-0-90452000-1454009405_thumb.jpg

at Hintock you have the best of both worlds...

post-3088-0-50946700-1454009431_thumb.jpg

my E4 and Hintock Dairies.

post-3088-0-44394900-1454009455_thumb.jpg

Coal for the boiler house is delivered to the siding in Jubilee Yard, and then carted by WH Lee to the boiler house on its other side, thus keeping it separate from the milk loading at the front.

The van in the second image is for a load of powdered milk from the dairy.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely images as always, John.

My E4 continues to delight. Came home from work and it was lovely to spend half an hour shunting the E4 with five wagons. Great fun and instant relaxation.

I have to say though I prefer the look of the L&SWR Adams and Drummond classes to the LB&SCR locos. However the C2xx has always been a favourite along with the Billington mogul and the Marsh Atlantics...

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Lovely image,once again John.

Congratulations and here's to the next 1,000......

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

This is both a re-cap and a progress report on my new layout Port Bredy another virtual extension, the otherbeing Hintock Town Quay. of my Joint GWR/SR Hintock Branch. I also set myself the goal of the main board being less than 6'0 long and 2'0 wide.

There I have succeded it being 5'6 x 1'6. In other words I have a compact layout that would fit a small space, be portable and  fun to operate. Of course, a fiddle yard will be required but that need not exceed 2'6. So all within 8'0.

post-3088-0-53146100-1455065692_thumb.jpg

A liitle bit of history: once the railway reached Hintock in the middle 1800's and its sucess seen. local businesmen and the MR and L&SWR became taken with the possibility of developing the small fishing village at the seaward end of the River Brede into a resort to rival Bournemouth and a port to challenge the GWR's monopoly at Weymouth. Rather than act overtly, the MR and LSWR provided, through nominees the money to build the extension to Port Bredy and were eventually to obtain running rights.

However all the grand schemes came to naught, the village never was developed and the harbour not improved to any large extent. Even so it does a steady trade with coasting vessels, the Channel Islands and France. The bulk of this is is brought to and handled by both the LMS and SR by way of their working arrangements, and through the exchange siding and the horse hauled Harbour Tramway.

Passenger traffic amounted to very little and even less on the coming of the more convenient omnibus. Goods traffic for the surrounding distruct is fairly constant. The GWR provide the passenger services, the SR and LMS the goods.

Such is the situation in the period modelled-the mid 1930's.

post-3088-0-89222600-1455065720_thumb.jpg

Track plan above is simple but offers enough operation to be interesting.

post-3088-0-53908900-1455065809_thumb.jpg

Portability and light weight are the aims and this shows the top side, framed insulation, ply base and cork tiles for the working surface. All glued.

post-3088-0-47249600-1455065860_thumb.jpg

Bottom showing ply base, frame and stiffening pieces.

attachment=677505:DSCN5318-1.jpg]

Code 75 track laid and buildings roughly positioned, platform in place,

post-3088-0-34146100-1455065936_thumb.jpg

Another view, it sweeps quite nicely.

post-3088-0-08026900-1455065990_thumb.jpg

And again.

Next will be adding "ground", ballasting and painting the track. The simple electrics are in, all wiring is laid in channels cut in the cork tiles. A lot simpler than fixing it underneath.

My general practice is to try and do similar jobs all at the same time, as for instance the buildings, all the carcases are more or less complete, when they are done I shall then undercoat the lot. And similarly other tasks.

This is a long post for me, I prefer short ones!

If any questions please ask.

post-3088-0-45005500-1455065911_thumb.jpg

Thankyou gentlemen for those likes. It's a start on what I think will be an interesting build, though I'm far from satisfied with the images. But at least they give an idea of what I am doing. I hope too it will encourage others to build small. Large isn't everything.

Adrian, glad you liked the baseboard and thank you for the commendation. I doubt whether it's entirely original and I trust, as you say, it has brought some fresh thinking to the subject. Now, with this construction rather than a trial of strength, I can readily move it around and that's a consideration as one inevitably gets older.

My regards to you all.

Once again it all fits together, John!

A convincing history leading to the period modelled,

a simple track plan, yet promising interesting operations,

a clever baseboard design (framed foamboard),

nicely sweeping curves, 

etc., etc.

This will look great when finished. Always a pleasure to read what's new!

Regards

Armin

PS: I too prefer simple wiring just below the ground level…

John - you work fast and so clear in capturing the storey and executing it. Puts me to shame, but one can learn from a master like you!

Looking forward to photo series to inspire us as the project moves ahead.

PS- my ebay Hornby M7 now DCC chipped and working, and about to (finally) take its place on Hawkinsfield. Its been a bit of a mission and put me off ebay purchasing to be frank, but was a learning experience.

regards, Andy R

Those are all very positive remarks gentleman about Port Bredy. Thank you They are encouraging and I'm looking forward to getting on with it. As remarked even at this early stage it does have a certain presence and as much as anything I put that down to the initial back story I created for Hintock.

That story  (and some imagination) led me to all the various enhancements at Hintock itself, then to Hintock Town Quay and now Port Bredy. Which demonstrates the need for a credible story at the outset. Each development has been a logical one and I appreciate your support as the Hintock saga has unfolded.  I've said it before and I'll say it again that in my mind it is a real place. And again it is a harking back of an ex-pat to the Dorset of his boyhood and happy family holidays at West Bay (Port Bredy).

It too has given me the opportunity to introduce a light weight baseboard and show how compact an interesting layout can be. Further I have used Peco Code 75 for the first time and am pleased with the results. I commend it.

All food for thought I suggest  and especially for those who are looking for a layout to build that offers interest, pleasure and fun. And so readily doable.

My regards.

PS, AndyR, sorry to read of your misfortune and hope it is all resolved now and to your satisfaction. Rather taken away some of the pleasure of the purchase, I suspect.

Archived