Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

Here are three pictures of J39, 64950, which was allocated to Dundee Tay Bridge shed (62B), throughout the BR period. She was built at Darlington Works (LNER), and entered service on 13th April 1938 as no: 1863, she was then re-numbered by the LNER to 4950.

64950 was withdrawn on 29.12.1962 and cut up at Inverurie works in August 1963.

64950 is a Bachmann model with extra detail added, including coal in tender and fire irons. It also has extra pick-ups fitted on the tender, so is permanently coupled. 

post-3520-0-35792500-1385080396_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-97872800-1385080414_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-24817400-1385080421_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

A couple of pictures of Sentinel 47182. This loco was built from a Nu-Cast kit and is powered by a Black Beetle unit.

This loco built in 1930 for the LMS and was based at Ayr for some years. It was withdrawn in 1956.

attachicon.gifDSCF3073.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3075.JPG

Hi,

Nice model.  The Ayr loco men called her the 'Chip Cairt'. The Sentinal was used to shunt the south side of Ayr harbour and had to cross the long gone bridge which was said to be in a poor way and unable to take heavy locomotives. 

Ian.

69508, which was a Parkhead based loco. 
This is a Hornby body on an old Airfix chassis, which has been converted to EM gauge with Alan Gibson wheels, using the original chassis, gears and motor. It runs OK but is very noisy forward, but OK in reverse. (Must get around to building the replacement Comet chassis).
The body has had the following detailing work:- Replacement, taller chimney, safety valve, removal of one of the coal rails on the bunker, pipe runs around the footsteps, screw-link couplings, lamp irons, new handrails and knobs, smokebox door handle, re-numbered, smokebox number plate and shed plate, the smokebox number is in the unusual lower position as per a photo I have of her:-

post-3520-0-09329400-1385300504_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Here are 3 pictures of 68635.
She is an ex-Great Eastern/LNER J69, 0-6-0T that was transferred to Scotland during LNER days.
68635 was based at 62C Dunfermline Upper, until the 1950's. 68635 was then transferred back to the Eastern Region at various sheds and ending up at Stratford.
68635 has a shunting step fitted, retains the lower roof profile and has a stovepipe chimney.
The model of 68635 is built from a Wills, now, South Eastern Finecast, kit. 
The chassis is rigid with Romford wheels and DS 10 motor.

post-3520-0-74820600-1386238853_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-50294900-1386238865_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-75273500-1386238873_thumb.jpg

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...

My latest GNSR loco, a Class K No. 46 is now finished and I would like to line it in the WW1 GNSR livery - a simple red and yellow lines on the black (I can manage the lettering myself) but age and poor eyesight preclude me even thinking of doing this myself.  Is there anyone here in Scotland who offers this service?

Here's my Sutherland Model Casters ex NBR C16 sitting in the main yard at my Arbroath layout. 67502 was one of the regular performers on the D & A locals. One of these days I'll get round to fitting the motor and couplings and putting it into service with a rake of Hornby Gresley or Thomson non-gangwayed coaches - when they arrive!!!!!

C16.pdf

• Like 5

My latest GNSR loco, a Class K No. 46 is now finished and I would like to line it in the WW1 GNSR livery - a simple red and yellow lines on the black (I can manage the lettering myself) but age and poor eyesight preclude me even thinking of doing this myself.  Is there anyone here in Scotland who offers this service?

Have you tried speaking to model shops locally, (in Scotland), they may have knowledge of somebody who can do this for you?

Here's my Sutherland Model Casters ex NBR C16 sitting in the main yard at my Arbroath layout. 67502 was one of the regular performers on the D & A locals. One of these days I'll get round to fitting the motor and couplings and putting it into service with a rake of Hornby Gresley or Thomson non-gangwayed coaches - when they arrive!!!!!

attachicon.gifC16.pdf

Hi folks

I understand that some may not be able to open the image of my C16, and with Ben Alder's help I've put it into a jpeg format so the it's more easily seen.

Here's a jpeg copy for your info., plus a shot of my Stevens style level crossing on the layout.

post-21954-0-67778700-1392553976_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-79999400-1392553997_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoy them.

• Like 7

Hi folks

I understand that some may not be able to open the image of my C16, and with Ben Alder's help I've put it into a jpeg format so the it's more easily seen.

Here's a jpeg copy for your info., plus a shot of my Stevens style level crossing on the layout.

attachicon.gifC16 at Arb smaller..jpg

attachicon.gifDens Road Level crossing gates.jpg

Hope you enjoy them.

Very nice indeed. I have a model of the station building somewhere in the attic. Arbroath must have been a very interesting location at one time.

John

Very nice indeed. I have a model of the station building somewhere in the attic. Arbroath must have been a very interesting location at one time.

John

Thanks John

Arbroath, although only a shadow of what it was, still has some of the atmosphere of "the old days," and has been an obsession of mine for over 40 years - a layout of a lifetime, as the current saying goes.

Here are another 3 pics of the layout which convey some of the feel of the past.

post-21954-0-75547100-1392561204_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-45366600-1392561239_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-89344700-1392561261_thumb.jpg

Hope they bring back some memories - if you're old enough, that is.........

Regards

Ken

• Like 12

Hi JohnR

There are lots of photos - more to come later.

Regards

Ken

On the advice of Ben Alder, I've opened a layout page on which I'll add more pice as time permits - busy on domestic chores at the moment - must keep my long suffering wife onside!

Ken

• Like 2

John

Just to correct the description of the level crossing gates - they are of course on the Wellgate in Arbroath, not Dens Road - sorry.

Ken

• RMweb Premium

On the advice of Ben Alder, I've opened a layout page on which I'll add more pice as time permits - busy on domestic chores at the moment - must keep my long suffering wife onside!

Ken

I'll be checking that out soon, spent many holidays with relatives in Arbroath through my younger years. Never realised till years later the scale of the station away from the mainline.

IIRC the goods yard was only cleared a couple of years ago?

Guest nzflyer

Hi,

Good idea, lets see some more Scottish classics recreated in miniature. Here is my rendition of the Sou West 'Greenock Bogie' on the turntable at Ochiltree.

Ian.

attachicon.gif355 Greenock Bogie.jpg

Just seen this. Absolutely stunning! It made me drool  :O Is it a kit or scratch-built?

I'll be checking that out soon, spent many holidays with relatives in Arbroath through my younger years. Never realised till years later the scale of the station away from the mainline.

IIRC the goods yard was only cleared a couple of years ago?

You're quite correct - the goods shed was demolished as recently as November 2008, and the tracks are still there, although on my last visit an 8' high weld mesh fence had been installed along the side of the old platform 4, so it looks as though the goods yard is due for some development.

The station was quite extensive, but makes a most interesting and challenging project - it's kept me amused for over 40 years now!

Regards

Ken

• Like 2

I'd suggest Beattock. 54507 was a long-time Dumfries engine. It wasn't used a lot latterly, and was eventually moved to Beattock for storage.

I've just got back to this subject and after thinking about it, you are probably right. I will say in my defence, it was a long time ago and I was on a family trip with my then new girl friend. We were so in love and even though she thought it would not last until Christmas, we have been married for 48 years now.

Sigh!

I'll take the opportunity to post these two pictures. There's no doubt this time as too the locals.

post-276-0-01890500-1392718861.jpg

post-276-0-74950900-1392718882.jpg

Incidentally on Perth shed that day was another example of a pre-group loco, well perhaps not quite that old but certainly from the deep south. I refer to exGWR 16XX class #1646

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 3

Here are a couple of pictures of the latest loco I have been working on.

This is a Caley 439 class loco.

It is a DJH kit that I bought, for a song, a while ago, part built. I have had to do quite a lot of remedial work, where there was marks and large scratches all over the thing, some so bad I have had to use low melt as a filler.

(Edit: In fact looking at some of the photos I have taken tonight show up the marks even better than the 'human eye').

Anyway I think it is coming along.

The chassis is effectively an 0-4-0, (drivers wheels), with the bogie mounted on the underside of the cast body.

I have got the chassis running OK but I am not 100 per cent happy with it. It has an old D11 motor which with the 40-1 gears make it too fast. 

post-3520-0-37138000-1392763655_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-66295700-1392763678_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-10270300-1392763705_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-86905400-1392763720_thumb.jpg

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 10

Hi,

Nice model. The Ayr loco men called her the 'Chip Cairt'. The Sentinal was used to shunt the south side of Ayr harbour and had to cross the long gone bridge which was said to be in a poor way and unable to take heavy locomotives.

Ian.

Hi

One of the old Ayr drivers in our club told us as soon as he saw the rtr model, that you only got put on that loco if you were in the bad books. It was used to shunt the fish traffic on the South harbour dock, and you were stuck on it all week. I'll have to ask him why it was called the "chip cairt"

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 1

Hi

One of the old Ayr drivers in our club told us as soon as he saw the rtr model, that you only got put on that loco if you were in the bad books. It was used to shunt the fish traffic on the South harbour dock, and you were stuck on it all week. I'll have to ask him why it was called the "chip cairt"

Stephen

Fish Suppers may have something to do with it?