Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently working on a ex nbr D51 4-4-0 tank loco using the Dapol/Hornby terrier body as a starting point and have completed the basic body. Has any rmwebber got a model of a D51 in lner condition as i am finding it hard to find photos of the class in later condition which show the details such as the tank tops and running plate details etc. Any photos i have found show the front, and sides but thats it. Any help would be appreciated.

I have had to make the can slightly wider than the real thing as the donor body would not stand being made any narrower. But i hope to hide this by slightly recessing the westinghouse pump.

post-10572-0-21374000-1414278569_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-00592900-1414278598_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-20882400-1414278629_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Are these any help? Not sure if you may have already seen them.

1300733757-990-0.jpg

d50.gif

Ive seen the second image but not the first one - a relatively clear shot taken at st margarets if im not mistaken.

Ive done some more work on the body including the cabside pump and the handrails etc and, apart from the bunker and cab rails, tidying up and final rubbing down i think the body is nearly ready for the paint shop. The chassis will be a bit longer.post-10572-0-08641600-1414338558_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-05532300-1414338577_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-08970200-1414338606_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-79590900-1414338624_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this photo in the new book North British a history. As I live in Helensburgh it is just too tempting.

I am thinking of converting an old triang m7 obviously the chassis is going to have to be turned round. The splashes at the front will need removed. Looks like a easy enough conversion. But then they always do until you start work on them.

post-5114-0-39128000-1415298884_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice set of images but at the risk of labouring a point they are actually of 2 different classes. 10390 is a LNER D50 class and in this case its ex NBR 494 Craigendoran.  A class of 3 locomotives and usually found on trains in Glasgow Helensburgh area. 10425 is a great little picture, agree its St Margarets and she lasted till 1931. There are images of her working on the Lauder Light Railway. Looks almost 'toy like" with solid steamroller type wheels and a couple of ancient 6w coaches in tow.  

Nice to see such a model as doesn't appear most popular of prototypes? 

Ok I made a start on my NB 955 tank. I got an M7 body off eBay , I have cut off the splashers and filled the hole in the floor with plastic card, and covered that with filler which I will file smooth later. I have a lot of detail to cut away from the boiler. I still have to think of a way to rebuild the boiler now there is a huge hole in it.

I have also cut down the bunker at the rear, I will cut it off and shorten it later (sounds so easy doesn't it) don't expect this to be anywhere near as good as kingfisher24's excellent work above. This is probably going to be a botch job, so rivet counters look away now.

post-5114-0-58539100-1415462206_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-35411300-1415462765_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-00788200-1415462797_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-25272500-1415462821_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-78996000-1415462842_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Bit more progress bunker shortened still to file back the filler.

I've reduced the photo down to 00 gauge and now realise that the boiler needs to be 7mm shorter. I will need to think about making a new boiler somehow, maybe some plastic pipe or tubing.the boiler dome is a few millimetres forward of where it should be, however I was thinking of replacing it with a cast one anyway one with the safety valve on top.

post-5114-0-60582600-1415545819_thumb.jpg

Last update boiler cut off and a new one made from a turkey baster that I chopped up. (Good thing I'm single people have been divorced for less) I need to order a new boiler dome, chimney and Westinghouse pump. So there won't be much to do until I get them.

Last update boiler cut off and a new one made from a turkey baster that I chopped up. (Good thing I'm single people have been divorced for less) I need to order a new boiler dome, chimney and Westinghouse pump. So there won't be much to do until I get them.

post-5114-0-31826800-1415561658_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-35550300-1415561903_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I scratch built one of these in the 1960s.    There was a 4mm drawing published in the Model Railway News around then with the same Photograph and the young me could not resist it. Can't tell which issue of the magazine it was as I took it out and there are no details on the two pages I have.  There was a drawing each month at that time under the title "Steam Roster".

You do know that the cab was quite a bit narrower than the tanks?  You can see on the photograph the small coupling rod splashers which are roughly half way between the cab sides and the tanks for width.  I know that I should not measure straight off a drawing but it would seem that the tanks are 30mm across and the cab is 24mm the footplate is 8ft across - 32mm.   The driving wheelbase is also 8ft which would be smaller than the M7 but fortunately the Triang M7 re used the con rods from the "Nellie" when they made this which at 32mm makes the M7 a bit wrong but are exactly right for you.

I built mine as Craigen Doran. Must have been a glutton for punishment on the lettering. Now that I am back with some 00 I wish I still had it. I sold it on when I went EM around 1970 as the clearances were too tight to convert. If you want any help with the drawing get in touch.

best wishes,

Ian

Edited by Ian Kirk

Hi Ian

Thanks for the information. I hadn't spotted that the cab was narrower than the tanks. That's going to be a tricky one to do. Cutting the cab off then cutting 6mm out of the middle then stick it all back together again?. Not an easy job another possibility would be to source a cab from a terrier I shall look at it when I get home from work.

Darrel

• 1 month later...

A small update to my Helensburgh tank. Ordered parts from craftsman and was waiting for them to arrive, was busy with other things and Xmas etc.

Anyway I reduced the width of the cab by cutting a bit out the middle and gluing it back together. New chimney, dome, clack valves and Westinghouse brake tank fitted.

post-5114-0-86243100-1420293064_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm currently building the London Road D51. I should probably have picked an easier kit for a first fully etched project but it's not too bad provided you watch what you're doing. I've dropped a couple of clangers, but any new adventure has a learning curve.

That said, I don't think the RTR-bashed route shown above will yield any less a result than the kit route. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Although we never modelled any Scottish locos., my father's collection of railway photos includes a number of Scottish subjects. They are a mixture of photos he took and a number from a collection he acquired, (I never discovered whether he bought or was given them) from a gentleman called Beckerlegge. The latter are mainly commercially produced postcard sized prints from around the grouping era. They are currently in my ipernity photo-sharing album at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/509131 *

There are a few Scottish items in the railway postcard album, although they will be well-known examples, I guess. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/513993

If there is a more appropriate thread to post these links into, I would be happy to do that. This one seems mainly to be celebrating modellers' hard and skillful work.

*6.12.2017 - The ipernity site is likely to close at the end of January 2017. I am uploading Dad's photos to my gallery here om RMweb, but it may take a time. If you want to see a photo uploaded, sooner rather than later, send me a message.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks John

Arbroath, although only a shadow of what it was, still has some of the atmosphere of "the old days," and has been an obsession of mine for over 40 years - a layout of a lifetime, as the current saying goes.

Here are another 3 pics of the layout which convey some of the feel of the past.

attachicon.gifArbroath Stn. at street level.jpg

attachicon.gifV2 heading South.jpg

attachicon.gifC16 at Arbroath North end, platform 2.jpg

Hope they bring back some memories - if you're old enough, that is.........

Regards

Ken

I don't know whether you have seen this photo elsewhere, but thought you might like it associated with your model photos. Its location was identified by Walter Simms, as can be seen by the comments below it on my ipernity photo-sharing pages. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/26198465

post-14351-0-32299500-1424528271_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

here are some snaps of my latest north british j88, it is the third example that i have built but it means that i have two of them ( the first loco that i made up was destroyed by a two year old hand reaching up to my work bench). hence the repeated number of 68334.

68334 was built in 1909 and the loco was based at edinburgh st margarets and then thornton before withdrawal at the end of june 1959.

i could only find one pic of 68334 on the web and have included this aswell, and another snap of 68328.

attachicon.gifJ88.jpg

attachicon.gif8334 st margarets.jpg

and now some shots of my 68334 on glendevon. and complete with shunters pole.

attachicon.gifDSCF4368.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4369.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4373.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4380.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4374.JPG

hope these are of some interest.

kingfisher.

Just for the record, the photo of 68328 was taken by my father, John Sutters. Details of the date and location can be seen at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/26198511 .

• RMweb Gold

I am currently working on a ex nbr D51 4-4-0 tank loco using the Dapol/Hornby terrier body as a starting point and have completed the basic body. Has any rmwebber got a model of a D51 in lner condition as i am finding it hard to find photos of the class in later condition which show the details such as the tank tops and running plate details etc. Any photos i have found show the front, and sides but thats it. Any help would be appreciated.

I have had to make the can slightly wider than the real thing as the donor body would not stand being made any narrower. But i hope to hide this by slightly recessing the westinghouse pump.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

This shot is from 1925, so technically in LNER days, but 1464 is still NBR livery. At least it shows the other side!

post-14351-0-11532200-1424529185_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I don't know whether you have seen this photo elsewhere, but thought you might like it associated with your model photos. Its location was identified by Walter Simms, as can be seen by the comments below it on my ipernity photo-sharing pages. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/26198465

Hi Phil

Not a picture I've seen before, but the location and subjects are right at the heart of what I'm trying to recreate.

The two water columns are particularly good - unfortunately my model platform isn't wide enough to take two, but I could always build a double like the one at Fort William and another couple of locations - it's the thought of all the rods and levers that's made me chicken out up to now!

It also reminds me that I've a DJH kit for a 439 class itching to be  constructed......

Thanks

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

This shot has been put up on another thread aswell but, here is my latest.

An NB Models J37 No 64624 which has taken around 18 months to get to this stage. Almost complete save for some pick up adjustiments and a light weathering job.post-10572-0-47831400-1426636268_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

In a bout of blatant self promotion I am intending to document a scratch build of a Caley 171 tank in 2mm over on the "Build a loco Challenge forum".

All advice, encouragement and criticism gratefully received, although I reserve the right to ignore the latter :beee_mini:

• Like 2

In a bout of blatant self promotion I am intending to document a scratch build of a Caley 171 tank in 2mm over on the "Build a loco Challenge forum".

All advice, encouragement and criticism gratefully received, although I reserve the right to ignore the latter :beee_mini:

I built one of these in 2fs some time ago using etches reduced from John Boyle's artwork. I'm away from home at the moment and don't have any photos of it on my tablet. It has a Branchlines minimotor (which I believe is no longer available), 2mmSA gears and disc bogie wheels kindly made for me by a now deceased member. I intend posting some photos on here of my CR 2fs Locos when I get home and have caught up on all that I have to do after a month away.

Jim

Earlier I wrote: "I built one of these in 2fs some time ago using etches reduced from John Boyle's artwork. "

I should have mentioned that this loco can be seen emerging from under the bridge in the last post on my layout thread - link in the signature below.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim,

I look forward to seeing the photos.

You have several models in your fleet that are on my to do list.

It was the supply of your drawings that have made this project a possibility (so I know who to blame.......... :O)

Hope the trip is going well.

Edited by Argos