Dapol 57xx pannier - Photo Review

Andy Y

F5s.jpg

(All images clickable for higher resolution display)

Hot on the heels of the livery samples first shown little over a week ago the first review sample of the 57xx Pannier landed on my desk today. Initial impressions are very favourable with a model which really captures the look of the real thing. The first model are of the separate flatter roof variety with round spectacle plates to the front and rear of the cab.

6713, a WG Bagnall constructed loco, is finished in BR black, etched number plates with early crest with an 87A (Neath) shedplate on the smokebox door. Unfortunately this looks a little like 67A which is Corkerhill which unless I'm mistaken didn't see too many Panniers. The number is also printed on the rear bufferbeam in black, I'm not sufficiently au fait with WR steamers to say if any did ever carry the number as such but I'm sure someone with better knowledge can address that.

F2s.jpg

F3s.jpg

RF2s.jpg

R1s.jpg

F1s.jpg

RF3s.jpg

S1s.jpg

S2s.jpg

6739, a Yorkshire Engine Co. constructed loco is finished in GW green with 1923-34 Great Western lettering. The number is repeated in shadowed yellow form on the front and rear bufferbeams. The etched plates were fixed slightly at an angle and with slight distortion of the wire handrails around the smokebox so it's worth checking retail examples.

F4s.jpg

F5s.jpg

R2s.jpg

RF1s.jpg

The loco is fitted with a 6-pin decoder socket which is very easily accessed by removing the clip-fit cab.

I1s.jpg

It's therefore easy to see how the later 5400 style rounded cab will be achieved. If you try to unclip the rest of the tank body you will separate the motor from the gear assembly but it is only necessary to remove the cab for decoder fitting. All lubrication points are accessible from beneath the loco.

U1s.jpg

The loco ran very smoothly from a barely perceptible crawl through to a scale 60 mph or so with minimal noise reducing as it ran in.

Another excellent addition to the N gauge armoury!

• RMweb Gold

It might just be the photos but both the smokebox numbers and shed code look on the large side on the BR version and on the bufferbeam for the GWR version.Dapol must have seen a photo somewhere with the black numbers on but it don't look right to my eyes. :O

I'll shut up now I've read this thread from 2009 :no: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36395

Edited to correct my eyesite.

It might just be the photos but both the smokebox numbers and shed code look on the large side on the BR version and on the bufferbeam for the GWR version.Dapol must have seen a photo somewhere with the black numbers on but it don't look right to my eyes. :O

The numbers on the smokebox door look to be about 0.7mm high which means they're about 4 1/4 inches.

• RMweb Premium

It's a shame that it still has the skirt under the boiler but I understand why this is there, and even with this it is a massive leap forward from the Farish version.

• RMweb Premium

Thinking of getting one of these, a 14xx and 2 autocoaches. Not being read up on the panniers, but are and of these correct for an auto fitted train?

No. What you would really need is a 64xx for that. I'd love to see those produced.

Nice to see a better shade of green on these than previous Dapol GWR locos. Detail looks generally very good indeed. Some roughness around the handrail fitting is probably not noticeable in the flesh and they certainly looked good in the display cabinet at TINGS. There are a massive amount of handrails on these locos so fair play to Dapol for reproducing these.

The running board appears bent to me but could be exaggerated by the angle of the photos.

If these run well over insulated frog points I shall certainly be aquiring at least one.

Strange that these don't get a mention in the new Dapol Nthusiast newsletter in the new releases for Sept and Oct section.

Cheers,

Ian.

Aside from a distinctly modern font for the BR smokebox door numbers, these look like little crackers. Upon seeing the first photo it's hard to believe this is N Gauge.

Not the first time and not really excusable - redolent of the mis-shapen numbers and wrong font (and too big) nameplates on the Britannias, and some of the diesels (e.g. 67029 from memory?). I just don't understand why you would go to such lengths to produce what looks a very nice and cunningly-propelled loco, and then slap plain Arial or Helvetica or whatever it is on the smokebox. Stands out like a sore thumb and I thought so before I saw the post above!

These look rather nice. I suspect I'll wait for the version with the later cab, but I can see one being acquired in due course.

I wonder if the black number on the rear bufferbeam of the BR version may be the shading for a missing gold layer of paint/printing?

Andy

No. What you would really need is a 64xx for that. I'd love to see those produced.

There were occasions on which 57XX panniers were used with an autocoach. Obviously in emergency when the correct engine was unavailable, but for example the Watlington branch always had an autocoach, but it was never used as such and the loco ran around and hauled it.

Chris

Are the wheels of split frame construction with the gears on muffs, or are they the normal type with pickups and steel axles? I ask because I am contemplating how to convert this loco to 2mm finescale. It really is way ahead of the Farish pannier in appearance, but the Farish one does have the advantage of a heavy body to aid haulage.

Also can anyone confirm which will be first one into the shops?

Chris

Hi chris,

6713 will be the first i believe.

While it may not be the same weight as the Farish model (i havnt weighed one to be honest) i can tell you it weighs 33.5g but there is a little room for others to add extra if they need it.

The chassis is on split frame contruction and i have attached a picture from the cad/cam of the underside with various parts missing to help you.

Hope this helps

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-28612300-1348048697_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi chris,

While it may not be the same weight as the Farish model (i havnt weighed one to be honest) i can tell you it weighs 33.5g but there is a little room for others to add extra if they need it.

The chassis is on split frame contruction and i have attached a picture from the cad/cam of the underside with various parts missing to help you.

Hope this helps

cheers

Dave

Hope you didn't have this one made Dave, its only got five wheels :stinker:

Seriously, those I looked at last weekend at Steam looked superb.

Jerry

Hi chris,

Hope this helps

cheers

Dave

Dave,

It helps a great deal, thanks. Although it raises more questions. Do the wheels have stub axles (if so what diameter), or is it that the wheels fit onto a square end like Romfords to quarter them?

Chris

Archived