New Farish Class 55

Crepello

It is possible to get replacement wheelsets from BR Lines if your loco is out of warranty.

Don't worry too much about it - the problem is far less frequent than it once used to be before Bachmann took Farish over.

I'm not so sure of the veracity of either statement.  1.) BR Lines carries replacement wheelsets that will fit original Poole built as well as China built Bachmann-Farish split chassis locos, but to-date I have not seen it stock wheel sets for the later Bachmann-Farish models such as the Warship, 24, 37 and DP1.  I would be quite suprised to learn that it was stocking new wheelsets for the latest Class 55s (but I would be very happy to be surprised!).  2.) The "far less frequent" claim isn't actually my experience, either.  I've had at least half a dozen supposedly improved Bachmann-Farish gears (all from the older split chassis models) split.  Class 25s, 40s, Peaks.  I think a split chassis 55, broke a gear too.  And then there is my older Poole based BachFar Class 20 which splits the little idler gears regularly.  All in all, in my personal experience the later gears have split only slightly less frequently than the ones on my Poole models, and I've read elsewhere on this forum about BachFar Class 66 gears spliting frequently.

Matt

It's a brand new, brand new tooling model.

Shame this is still happening....

Cheers,

Alan

I was fully aware that this is a new loco, but was replying to the hypothetical question in post #99 ;)

I'm not so sure of the veracity of either statement.  1.) BR Lines carries replacement wheelsets that will fit original Poole built as well as China built Bachmann-Farish split chassis locos, but to-date I have not seen it stock wheel sets for the later Bachmann-Farish models such as the Warship, 24, 37 and DP1.  I would be quite suprised to learn that it was stocking new wheelsets for the latest Class 55s (but I would be very happy to be surprised!).  2.) The "far less frequent" claim isn't actually my experience, either.  I've had at least half a dozen supposedly improved Bachmann-Farish gears (all from the older split chassis models) split.  Class 25s, 40s, Peaks.  I think a split chassis 55, broke a gear too.  And then there is my older Poole based BachFar Class 20 which splits the little idler gears regularly.  All in all, in my personal experience the later gears have split only slightly less frequently than the ones on my Poole models, and I've read elsewhere on this forum about BachFar Class 66 gears spliting frequently.

Matt

I don't have a Class 55 to inspect, but previous models have all stuck rigorously to the same gears for the drive axles, as far as I know. The 2mm Scale Association provide just 2 different replacement wheelsets (2 different wheel diameters) to cover the whole range of Farish locos, up to and including the 66, 24, 37 and 60 - and they work because I have done several conversions myself. The only difference I am aware of is that the gear wheels are wider in newer models, which makes no difference to their compatibility.

Sorry to hear about your split gear problems. My own experience is that things have improved, but I could not say by how much.

Hmm.  I don't know about the gears being the same on the old split chassis models compared to the newer models.  I haven't taken one of newer models apart to look at them and compare.  I'm sure Alan has though, so if he wishes he can chime in.

Now, I am certain a complete wheelset (i.e., a factory assembled part comprised of two wheels, an axle and a gear) of a split chassis model however is different from a wheelset of one of the new models as the wheels of the new models are completely different from the older split chassis wheels.  In other words, you can't take a split chassis wheelset and use it as a drop in replacement as a wheelset for the newer Warship model or the new Class 55.  And as I mentioned (and I've since checked), BR Lines only stocks the wheelsets for the old split chassis models.

So while the 2mm Scale Association may very well have wheelsets that work for over many different models, BR Lines does not have ones that will work in the new Class 55.  The old split chassis Class 55, yes.  But not the new one.

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Adam, I think maybe it's best to wait till 20 July (the Bachmann announcements) before progressing on creating an FP racehorse. I'm sure demand for the 55 has been such that further batches will be ordered soon. The FP style is very popular and surely Bachmann will be aware of this. Meld must be the one as it's the easiest to change to the longer names if you want.

I obtained a complete axle for my 108 directly from Bachmann, cost two or three pounds if I recall correctly.

I think it is a bit of an urban myth that Bachmann do not supply spares, I have additionally obtained directly drawbars for three different locos too.

I would try them first for the newer stuff rather than BR Lines or elsewhere.

Just contact them online via their website specifiying loco product number and what it is you want.

Turnaround time pretty reasonable.

That said, were it my brand new Deltic I'd send it back.

Regards

Roy

All in all, in my personal experience the later gears have split only slightly less frequently than the ones on my Poole models, and I've read elsewhere on this forum about BachFar Class 66 gears spliting frequently.

This is true, but models that I've seen with splits:

- new tool Farish 57 (quite common)

- new tool Farish 47 (rare, but have seen it)

- new tool Farish 66 (common on early batches)

- new tool Farish 108

- new tool Farish black 5 steam loco tender drive

- new tool Farish B1 steam loco tender drive

Also many of the split chassis models suffer too (37,47, 50, 170 etc).

Unfortunately whilst reduced in frequency, there are still many occurrances of split gears - it's still going to plague N gauge for a while to come.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Everyone,

I note that YouknowwhoofLiverpool has already run out of all 3 versions before they had chance to photograph them.  If this is an indication of the overall sales trend then Bachmann should surely follow with re-issues and definitely a FP livery version. A weathered one would be very welcome as with their mileage and prodigious clag they were never clean for long. Whether they have already planned this is another matter so it might be a reactive process. 

My 55005 arrived this morning and I have to say I'm delighted. This is partly due to me deliberately holding off from buying the previous version for 6 years in the hope of a new model but mainly because it is a quite magnificent model with a definite presence.

Adding parp and and a very loud vroom will be inevitable and I look forward to reading how different modellers achieve this. For the time being it looks just right with some MK2As in late 70s style off the beaten ECML track.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Must be a Diesel Gala weekend on the MHR

post-1467-0-21006800-1402580561.jpg

What a superb model, and mine runs excellently and almost silently out of the box. It's really quite hard to fault anything with it and although I'm not familiar enough with the real things to offer definitive comment on the shape, it looks 'Deltic' to me! My only criticism would be the gap between the body and bogies is on the large side, but this was expected after seeing the EP samples. It is however slightly disappointing when Bachmann have shown this is not necessary with the prototype Deltic which was much better in this area.

Tom.

Must be a Diesel Gala weekend on the MHR

attachicon.gifIMG_9018.jpg

What a superb model, and mine runs excellently and almost silently out of the box. It's really quite hard to fault anything with it and although I'm not familiar enough with the real things to offer definite comment on the shape, it looks 'Deltic' to me! My only criticism would be the gap between the body and bogies is on the large side, but this was expected after seeing the EP samples. It is however slightly disappointing when Bachmann have shown this is not necessary with the prototype Deltic which was much better in this area. 

Tom. 

I agree Tom, the prototype Deltic model has practically no gap between body and bogies. Seeing as it is the same chassis and almost the same body, I'm not sure why they didn't replicate this with the production examples.

I am holding off fixing my 1-Co-Bo-1 40 for the new one they are going to announce in July.

Split gears drove me away from N gauge in the 90s and I only returned when Dapol released the 14xx, I can't believe that 20 years later the same problem still applies albeit less frequently.

Planes don't crash as often these days but I note that airlines are still keen to improve the average so that none crash. :stinker:

Hi Woodenhead

Now that really is optimism - you are that sure it will be a 40?

Not saying you are wrong, makes a lot of sense given the recent release of the 00 one.

Have to say I shied away from Farish diesels in the 90s for the same reason. Had only a handful of split gears on BachFarish ones: - Class 20 x 1 (Old type), Class 66 x 2, 108 x 1. That's it out of probably 30 diesel locos over the period!

Never had a gear split on any of the recent BachFarish tender driven locos and not heard of it much either. Suspect it is pretty rare.

Regards

Roy

I heard it from a rep in a shop after I asked him directly, course he could have been telling porkies but given the lovely new OO models and it being I suspect a popular model in N it would be difficult not to conclude it would be up for re-tooling.

This is true, but models that I've seen with splits:

(snipped to save repetition)

Unfortunately whilst reduced in frequency, there are still many occurrences of split gears - it's still going to plague N gauge for a while to come.

Cheers,

Alan

I've never heard of a single split gear in an N gauge tender-drive loco from the Isle of Man though!

Richard

On the subject of the new Deltic,has anyone been disappointed with the finish on theirs??

I purchased number 5 today,the first full price loco for a long time and unfortunately its going back to the shop tomorrow. 

The reasons for this are--

1 a mark to the plastic one one roof grille

2 one grab handle has excess glue around it and it sticks out too far

3 the marker lights on one end are `rough`

4 the tail lights on the same end have chipped the yellow finish and look `rough`

5 the line where the yellow meets the blue is `fuzzy`-I was going to weather this in but with the above I feel that when you`ve just paid £90 for a loco it should be perfect.

It certainly puts you off buying another at full price!!

1.) Yes, I am disappointed in the finish on my Pinza.  Cab surround white paint is somehow smeared on the grill on the side of the nose.  It's not as bad as it sounds, but it is noticable and I wish I didn't have to decide whether or not to return it on this basis.

2.) I don't like the packaging either.  It is very fiddly and I'm not as coordinated as I use to be.  I have always preferred the simple foam insert, or frankly any type of tray-type packaging, over this type which is open on both sides of the model.

Best,

Matt

Old and new.

New Bachmann tooled Class 55 Pinza next to an old spilt chassis Bachmann version of the even older Poole body.

The new one is superior in every way (save perhaps running) and yet I kind of like the old one better.  I bought Pinza on a pre-order whim because I wanted to beat the Bachmann price increase.  I'm just sort of underwhelmed.  It runs fine but the smeared paint (discussed in post #120 above) and the fact I'm just not a huge devotee of the "fart, boom" (sorry) Deltics means it's going back for a refund.  I just like the 1-Co Co-1 locos so much more.  I have 7 of the split chassis 55s and that's enough.  Maybe one day I'll spring for this new one again, but for now: "Meh."  :pardon:

Matt

post-4367-0-62945900-1402800255_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-66575900-1402800268_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-65319100-1402800285_thumb.jpg

HI Matt

I have one of the older BachFarish ones like yours.

Looking at them side by side I have to agree with you, the new one looks far superior in terms of shape, general look and finesse to me - I hadn't realised how high the old one sits by comparison - not as bad but just slightly Lima-like!.

The big open-framed motor of the older one does give it the one advantage, together with massive flywheels it makes it an incredibly smooth runner, but no lights, no DCC, no space for a sound speaker, no, the newer one is in a different league all round.

Which makes it a shame you feel you have to return it because of the livery defects.

Regards

Roy

[edit]

The big open-framed motor of the older one does give it the one advantage, together with massive flywheels it makes it an incredibly smooth runner, but no lights, no DCC, no space for a sound speaker, no, the newer one is in a different league all round.

[edit]

Here's the thing: I'm not interested in lights, DCC, and especially sound.  Sound in particular.  I've seen some US N gauge locos with supposedly first-rate sound and for me all the sound did was emphasize the fact that they were 1:160 models and not the real thing.  The model sound has no gravitas.

As for the new Deltic, the body is definitely better (apart from the "squint"), particularly the cab-side glazing and the "real" body side glazing, along with the underbody tanks between the bogies.  But I'm not convinced the older split chassis one sits too high.  I actually think the new one sits slightly too low.  Compare the bogies of the latest tooled Farish 37 with the bogies of the new Deltic.  My understanding is that in real life they were almost exactly the same bogie, but the bogie on the new Deltic model is considerably smaller than the bogie of the new 37 model - almost comically so - as are the wheels.

post-4367-0-98539200-1402844656_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-40836400-1402844674_thumb.jpg

I've read in the magazines that the wheels of the latest Deltic are smaller than scale to minimize the bogie/body gap.  I call baloney on that.  The bogie/body gap is actually smaller on the older split chassis Bachmann Deltic, and that the bogie/body gap of my even older Poole-built Deltic is even smaller than the gap of the split chassis one!  My hunch is that the bodies of both older models (they share the same body, actually) are slightly wider than scale to allow for sufficient bogie swing.  My personal opinion is that looks better than making the bogies and wheels under scale as Bachmann appears to have done with the new Deltic.

The new Deltic is a fine model and I will probably buy another one someday.  I'm not denying that.  But the paint defect on mine isn't the only reason I'm returning it.  Like I said, I'm generally underwhelmed by the new one and its under scale bogies bother me.  I am certain I am in the minority here, but that doesn't bother me in the least.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Personally I always felt my old style BachFarish Deltic was a tad "chunky" sat too high. I would be very surprised if the new one is less accurate dimensionally not least because I understood that the tooling derives from a laser-scan of the prototype. That said the bogies of the new one do look a tad "undernourished" next to the recently tooled 37, but when I look at the bogies of my BR green one to compare, (hard to say and I may be wrong) possibly slightly less so. Were there different bogie types during the 37's lifetime? Perhaps someone more informed than me could clarify.

Either way Matt, being a minority or not, is irrelevant in my view. You have to be happy with it and if you are not you are right to return it.

I would welcome the contribution of others with more knowledge as regards the bogies. Are they accurate as depicted or have Bachmann (e.g.) reused the ones from the DP1 model?

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

English Electric Co-Co locos from that era (Classes 37 and Deltics) used the same bogies with either fabricated or cast frames.

I am not sure which the Deltics were built with, but I am fairly sure that they were changed.

The original Farish Deltic has bogies that are considerably too long (look at the position of the rear wheel in relation to the bodyside window compared to the new one) because it uses the same inners as the Class 47 bogie, which is longer.  The bogie on the new one has the correct wheelbase, and in my opinion is a well moulded representation.  The wheels used are smaller than they should be; the 37 has the larger wheels because, I suspect, it is a shorter loco so the bogie travel isn't as pronounced and clearances are less likely to be an issue.

Also, the old loco does sit a little high - in the comparison shot above look at how high the fuel tanks, between the bogies, are from the track.

cheers

Ben A.

Archived