Mainline Class 42

Moorkey

Hello everybody. I have finally been able to start work on the layout again, and I have acquired two Mainline 'Warship' class diesels. One runs perfectly. The other lights up, but doesn't move. Despite being bought as a 'spares christmas tree' for the working one, it seems a shame to waste the second, as it's such a good looking loco. I was wondering if there is any way of retro-fitting it with another companies motor-bogie? It doesn't matter about crashing the re-sale value, I just want a good runner for my layout. Any help would be massively appreciated!

• RMweb Premium

Replica Railways still manufacture the old (RS1000) Mainline motor. http://www.replicara...essories/spares

Not so sure they still manufacture them, more likely they've found a drawer full of left overs. I think I'd put 6.5 pounds towards something better. I see the gears are available too. R4245 (presumably standing for Class 42 & Class 45).

Perhaps a valid option would be to put a 2nd motor in the other bogie & wire them in series to get a sensible top speed and some actual grunt?

• 2 weeks later...

I think Ultrascale provide metal drive gears (with a set screw). I fitted them to both my Warships before selling them and moving up to Bachmann models. The gears can be very useful as the original nylon gears (force fit) seem to have a limited life before splitting. I am even wondering if a badly split gear would stop the motor rotating?

Regards Ray

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Only just seen this topic - I have these locos too, recently extracted from the cupboard they've been in for the last 30 years....

I've given them a service - the Peak runs ok, the Warship seems to only have 2-wheel drive, which on investigation seems to be caused by the white cog wheels moving on the shaft and not engaging properly on one side. The gears themselves seem ok though.

Ultrascale still do replacement metal gears if that's the problem - https://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/view/CAT015/431

Replica still seem to have original replacement motors - http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/spares

Or alternatively the High Level Kits Longrider motor bogie could work for the Warship - http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

Whether it is worth spending that sort of money, only you can say. Bachmann's new NBL Warship is only round the corner now, at about double the price of the motor bogie. I have one on order......

• 10 months later...

I've just bought a Mainline "Kelly" for not very much at a toyfair. Runs like a bag of spanners, but it does go and the lights work!  Taking the top off, does it really have a motor bogie at each end? Images online seem to confirm it and the upper parts certainly look identical, but on my example the supposed second bogie neither drives or appears to be being dragged along, and as I said, the wiring to any pickups and both lights all seems to work. Can anyone tell me if it's supposed to be doing rather more?

Any help appreciated

Peter

Hello Peter

The Mainline Warship only had one motor bogie.  The two I used to own both developed cracked gears on the drive wheels.  From what I have read on RMweb this is a common problem.  I bought replacement gears from Ultrascale.  Easy to fit and an instant improvement.

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

Hello Peter, the Mainline Class 42 uses the same bogie moulding for both pick up and motor. Although they look the same the pick up bogie doesn't have any internal parts, gears, magnet, armature or brush gear. Usefully on these old duffers it does let you put a second motor bogie in without to much hassle.

Hi Peter (again)

As said above the dummy bogie does not have any innards.

Here are some pictures of one that I sold earlier!

19900323024_f334cdc1ae_c.jpg
The motor bogie
20334967758_90418da86a_c.jpg
The motor bogie
20514136682_fcfdd3e8e7_c.jpg
Dummy or Trailing Bogie
20334954828_c939f26228_c.jpg
Dummy or Trailing Bogie

With Nuscale gears and some extra ballast they are quite a useful engine.

Ray

..Any help appreciated
Peter

Thanks Ray & Thaddeus

A perfect explanation!  I'll see what a good clean and service does to it's abysmal running, but new gears, adding weight and even shoving in an extra motor bogie are distinct possibilities.

Thanks again

Peter

• 5 years later...

I've inherited one of these models and was wondering if anyone knows of a suitable "cheaper" alternative to the ultrascale gear please? also does anyone happen to know what the resistors going to the LEDs are please as they have both blown on my model?

Has anyone managed to DCC one of these?

Mainline branded class 42s were probably last manufactured around 1983/4, and other than Ultrascale you could get some gears from Genesis Kits, though I understand he retired a couple of years ago without selling the business on to anyone. Cannibalisation of other Warships is probably your only other source of parts.

Unlike the class 45, the 42 didn't appear under the "Replica Railways" brand in the 1990s, probably as Lima 42s were so cheap - around £5 each. Bachmann did bring out a model in the mid 2000s, the body shell appears to be based on the Mainline one but the drive mechanism is totally different and I doubt any parts are interchangeable. Care I needed if buying one as some early Bachmann ones suffer from Mazak rot, with the bogies falling out when picking the model up.

From the factory the lights were 12 volt filament bulbs, with diodes to provide directional lighting. If the bulbs have been upgraded to LEDs then I usually fit 1K (1000 ohm) resistors to go with LEDs. Due to an error when buying some years ago I bought 500 instead of 50 so I have a lot to use up!

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, ianmacc said:

I had the pleasure of owning two of these with “authentic diesel sound” optional extra. God that gave me a headache! 

Funny you should mention that, about a year ago Hattons Pre-owned listed a tidy-looking blue one with a missing non-powered bogie for £15 - since I had pair of bogies going spare (I had managed to find a couple of Peak gears to fix the motor), a possible use for one in this livery and was curious about the "authentic diesel sound" I grabbed it. It came without the operating ramp but that's OK as once I had it going it also gave me a headache!! So the gubbins will be replaced with extra weight shortly, but before that happens, and for posterity, here are some pics of not-so-digital sound technology, early-80s style......

WP_20201118_13_07_52_Pro.jpg.49f06a429d9e238dd445bc20b9f3b183.jpgWP_20201118_13_11_18_Pro.jpg.f7151e350b64ae983f54eb424f6812a9.jpg2113938526_WP_20201118_12_58_39_Pro(2).jpg.bdc9de3b6b1a179b0634ca1ac7f7522d.jpgWP_20201118_13_11_52_Pro.jpg.eb5636f98d54d11c445b6d3daba5b6f8.jpgWP_20201118_13_19_54_Pro.jpg.323e624c0aa94e26191d88f5ba0306c0.jpg

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Funny you should mention that, about a year ago Hattons Pre-owned listed a tidy-looking blue one with a missing non-powered bogie for £15 - since I had pair of bogies going spare (I had managed to find a couple of Peak gears to fix the motor), a possible use for one in this livery and was curious about the "authentic diesel sound" I grabbed it. It came without the operating ramp but that's OK as once I had it going it also gave me a headache!! So the gubbins will be replaced with extra weight shortly, but before that happens, and for posterity, here are some pics of not-so-digital sound technology, early-80s style......

WP_20201118_13_07_52_Pro.jpg.49f06a429d9e238dd445bc20b9f3b183.jpgWP_20201118_13_11_18_Pro.jpg.f7151e350b64ae983f54eb424f6812a9.jpg2113938526_WP_20201118_12_58_39_Pro(2).jpg.bdc9de3b6b1a179b0634ca1ac7f7522d.jpgWP_20201118_13_11_52_Pro.jpg.eb5636f98d54d11c445b6d3daba5b6f8.jpgWP_20201118_13_19_54_Pro.jpg.323e624c0aa94e26191d88f5ba0306c0.jpg

It’s a shame you cannot sell it to someone who doesn’t mind the headache (!) rather than dismantle what is getting quite rare. 

Well I never! Had no idea this existed, just look at the 470uF cap, huge, now little more than the size of a pencil eraser!

Anyone got a video with sound of these?

My 42 is at the stage of stripped gears etc, very sad as love the thing!

Many years ago I bought a blue warship new and it never was a good runner, from memory it was an issue with the gears not meshing correctly, think a stub axle was moulded slightly in the wrong position!  A secondhand chassis bought for spares had the same issues!

It spent its life being pushed by the Bachmann version which came from the infamous warley sales stand in the days when Bachmann sold their 'seconds off cheap, but now has a disintegrating mazac chassis and May donate it's running gear!

• RMweb Gold

I have two of these sound-fitted Mainline Warships and would not recommend them for anything other than novelty/play value. One of them packed up after a short time, so it became mercifully quiet in operation. :)

While mechanically challenged, I think the Mainline offering captured the look of the prototype and still bears comparison with newer offerings.

Edited by Trevellan
Edit for typo
  • Agree 1