NRM 'Butler Henderson' exclusive edition launch.

Andy Y

BH1s.jpg

Click for larger images.

Bachmann Branchline in partnership with the National Railway Museum today released models of D11/1 Class locomotive No. 506 “Butler Henderson”, which is part of the National Collection is now available from the NRM shops at York and Shildon or online from www.nrmshop.co.uk

The first locomotive was handed over to Anthony Coulls, Senior Curator of Rails Vehicles Collection, on representing the National Railway Museum during a press launch at Barrow Hill Roundhouse Railway Museum earlier today.

Eleven D11/1 Class locomotives were introduced by the Great Central Railway between 1919 and 1922 and were known as “Improved Directors”. No. 506 was built at the Great Central Railway works at Gorton and was named “Butler Henderson” after company director Eric Butler-Henderson the son of Lord Farringdon, Chairman of the Great Central Railway from 1899 until 1922. No. 506 is currently located at Barrow Hill.

The model is available as a limited edition “Platinum” model in a special National Railway Museum box with acrylic plinth and numbered certificate. Just 100 of these models is being produced which has attracted considerable interest from collectors. The Platinum models cost £170.00 plus postage and packaging.

The standard “Exclusive Edition” model costs £130.00 plus postage and packaging and can be ordered online store at nrmshop.co.uk or by telephone on 0151 650 6062. Overseas & International orders please contact +44 904 685 730 or email:nrm.shop@nrm.org.uk. The models are available for immediate release.

First of all a few general 3/4 shots.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

There is a basic representation of the complexities between the frames.

5.jpg

The cab detail is exceptional and accurate.

6.jpg

BH8.jpg

The detailing pack includes a frame fillet for above the bogie where curves are sufficiently generous to allow for clearance.

9.jpg

If the fillet is not used the detail is a little sparse above the bogie but modellers could cut the fillet down further to create a compromise.

10.jpg

The model has printed nameplates with clear definition of the lettering and the GCR crest beneath. On close examination and comparison with the prototype etched nameplates wouldn't have been particularly apt as the nameplates fit flush with a horizontal brass strip.

11.jpg

BH2.jpg

If aftermarket etched plates exist they would be more appropriate to use for the cabside and tender numberplates.

The model is a superb runner, Bachmann really have hit a sweet spot with well-balanced 4-4-0s.

The model is available for pre-order at http://www.nrmshop.c...son-No.506.html with deliveries expected around early November.

Guest Belgian

It looks simply gorgeous but the comparison with the prototype highlights a rather odd feature - the (inside) framing modelled above the bogie appears not only to be outside the bogie wheels but wider than the prototype!

Also, are the model's colours - particularly the reddish-brown of the framing and valences - closer to the prototype's than the prototype's?!

JE

I can see why you say that; when I looked at the image after posting I wondered whether I'd fitted the frame panel over the bogie correctly and went back to the model for a look. It does sit some 6mm in from the edge of the footplate but it certainly doesn't look that way in the image above. Hopefully the other review shots will illustrate it better.

The deeper red colour is possibly subjective dependent on the light too but I know the model has been matched from samples.

I can see why you say that; when I looked at the image after posting I wondered whether I'd fitted the frame panel over the bogie correctly and went back to the model for a look. It does sit some 6mm in from the edge of the footplate but it certainly doesn't look that way in the image above. Hopefully the other review shots will illustrate it better.

The deeper red colour is possibly subjective dependent on the light too but I know the model has been matched from samples.

Beautiful looking locomotive.

Thanks for the photos Andy.

I see what you mean by the red & I thought it might just be the light but the axle boxes on the tender of the model seem to be a lighter shade than the frame ?

Must just be the light because the red on the full size loco is all the same colour & surely they wouldn't have made a mistake like that ?

The green on the full size loco also seems deeper than the model which seems very yellow.

• RMweb Premium

As a GCR enthusiast, who has been looking forward to this one for a while, it is certainly a very pretty model although perhaps folk should have it pointed out that the GCR livery carried is as preserved and shouldn't be taken as a correct GCR period livery. The lettering is different in size and shading.

What do other folk think about the relationship between the front bogie wheel and the bufferbeam? Comparing the model to the real loco, the model just doesn't seem to "sit" as low as it possibly should. Maybe just camera angle or has the model been "adjusted" to go round tight curves?

Guest Belgian

Ah, thank you Andy: the frame panel is a separate fitting then. Does that mean it can be positioned correctly for EM or P4 modellers (an R-T-R first, I think)?

As to the colours, I was thinking the model looks 'right' whilst the preserved engine looks 'wrong'. Depictions of GCR liveries I've seen, and descriptions of the paint used, seem to indicate that the red on the real thing is too red and not brown or umber enough.

JE

Ah, thank you Andy: the frame panel is a separate fitting then. Does that mean it can be positioned correctly for EM or P4 modellers (an R-T-R first, I think)?

It certainly could be by removing the locating pegs and positioning manually, it does sit a little outside the OO alignment anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Two things to say about the colour of the "claret" as I think it was called by the GCR.

Firstly, the model and the real Butler Henderson are not the same colour.

Secondly, that if anybody can say for certain, which is the "correct" colour for GCR livery, then I will be quite surprised.

The only thing I would add to that is to repeat my previous comment, that the model only represents the loco "as preserved". There are a few changes that were made to the loco that have not been reversed, such as the visible smokebox rivets, which didn't appear on Directors in GCR days. So it matters not which of two different colours is the "correct" red. The only "correct" red for the model would be for it to match the preserved loco, which it is a model of.

The only clues we have as to the red used by the GCR are contemporary colour illustrations, such as:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=220840863966

From the few colour illustrations of the period, I think that the real loco is probably pretty close to being right for the red used in the GCR period.

A better guide to the correct colour might be found if somebody has scraped paint of Butler Henderson and found traces of the original paint. Even then, that may not even be the same colour now as it was 80 years ago, so cannot be 100% guaranteed.

The only thing I can add on the green is that in the book British Railway Liveries by Carter published in1952 it has small colour panels of the various liveries as used by the various companies.

The colour panel shown for Great Central green in very similar to the real loco & shows the green used on the model to have to much yellow in it.

Under frames are described as brown with red & black lining.

Anyone who has a copy of this book might look it up & see what they think.

In any case its still a beautiful looking model :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

The only thing I can add on the green is that in the book British Railway Liveries by Carter published in1952 it has small colour panels of the various liveries as used by the various companies.

I intend no disrespect to Mr (Ernest F?) Carter or his writings, but colour fidelity - of the order we seek - in publications is still very difficult to achieve in 2012, so was a real challenge in 1952, I'm sure. Descriptions of lining should be another matter, though.

I intend no disrespect to Mr (Ernest F?) Carter or his writings, but colour fidelity - of the order we seek - in publications is still very difficult to achieve in 2012, so was a real challenge in 1952, I'm sure. Descriptions of lining should be another matter, though.

Yes of course. As you say in 2012 its still very difficult to print colour samples as accurate as the paint colour they are representing.

I have found that some companies resort to using the actual paint itself in the use of colour cards.

Even in the real world there can be some difference between various batches of what are supposed to be the same shade of colour hence the reason why you may often find on the back of paint tins or on colour cards " Make sure that you have enough paint mixed up to complete the job" because of the difference between various batches.

I have found that if it looks right then it is even though the colour may not be exactly the same as colour samples would indicate.

I quite often find that I need to change the shade of batches of paint slightly in order to match the available samples of the original colour that is if there are any samples of the original colour available which in this case I doubt.

I have a letter somewhere quoting Mr Percy Banyard who was a long-standing footplateman and loco inspector at Leicester (GC). Mr Banyard could recall seeing a shed full of GC engines altogether, and no two had precisely the same shade of green. It would be a bold person who said that was exactly the right shade.

I have a letter somewhere quoting Mr Percy Banyard who was a long-standing footplateman and loco inspector at Leicester (GC). Mr Banyard could recall seeing a shed full of GC engines altogether, and no two had precisely the same shade of green. It would be a bold person who said that was exactly the right shade.

And he's exactly right. As I said previous no two batches of colour will be exactly the same & that's using modern technology.

Imagine what it was like back then when paint was made by hand & colour was judged by eye.

We had the paint discussion yesterday too, and at Shildon on Wednesday with the A4s. It will never go away.

We all see it differently, and in different lights. 5 minutes before the photo of 506 outside was taken, it was grey and overcast and the red looked a lot deeper.

Who's to say which is right and which is wrong?

God we are spoilt bunch .Moaning over a few rivets and single picture .Models painted the 'right " usually look too dark on a layout unless very bright lighting is used anyway and its impossible to match different paint types as well .Pigments differ .

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I was going to mention that no two locos on Buckingham are exactly the same shade of green! Of course real paint would start to weather/fade as soon as sun and rain got to work on it. I always thought it was possibly wrong and due to the locos being built over a long period, using different paints but now I am happy that Peter Denny got it spot on! His earliest "green" loco is so weathered, through 65 years of use, that it is nearly black now!

Who has been moaning about rivets? Is it on another thread or have I missed something? If it means pointing out that the loco, with rivets on the smokebox, is correct for "as preserved" condition, that is more praise than moaning because that is exactly what Bachmann were wanting to represent!

The whole colour issue is pretty subjective but I was curious to see what colour images I could see from earlier repaints and came up trumps with Derek Evans' shot here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54563-strange-coincidence/&do=findComment&comment=657243

It's manky Mancy weather but it certainly looks a bit browner 50 years ago.

Although rather obvious in the above image, that very wide spacing of the frames at the front, if done more subtly, can be a very handy dodge on locos that require a lot of bogie swing as it allows the main frames to include a very long slot for the bogie pin, allowing more side swing than would normally be possible. I don't really know id a D11 needs it (I doubt it), but it works a treat on Thompson Pacifics and would probably hep on B16s too. In some cases for these outside cylinder locos the bogie-pin slot also needs to be curved to shuffle the bogie away from the cylinder ends as it moves aside.

I too think there's a bit too much of a gap between the bogie wheels and the running plate on the pictured Bachmann model. It will be interesting to take measurements to see whether they've cheated by using either under-size bogie wheels and/or a raised running plate. Note that the coupled wheel bosses are also slightly more exposed than on the real thing. An alternative way of fitting a four coupled powered chassis and separate bogie to a D10 or D11 body, so that wheels can be full size, metal running plate at proper level, and no fouling or shorts occur, has already been discussed over on LNERforum and no doubt in other places too, but I suspect Bachmann have stuck to the set-in-stone RTR principle of powered chassis rigidly fixed in the body with front end nodding up and down relative to the bogie.

Bachmann make nice models of steam engines (even American ones). However as noted above comparing a photo of the real thing next to the model can be cruel. A lot of issues are simply caused by compromises in the gauge but there is slightly more going on here at the front end which is distracting.

I would buy one if I did not have to mail order from 4k miles away, lovely livery!

Best, Pete.

Archived