NRM 'Butler Henderson' exclusive edition launch.

Andy Y

Funnily enough, I was going to mention that no two locos on Buckingham are exactly the same shade of green! Of course real paint would start to weather/fade as soon as sun and rain got to work on it. I always thought it was possibly wrong and due to the locos being built over a long period, using different paints but now I am happy that Peter Denny got it spot on! His earliest "green" loco is so weathered, through 65 years of use, that it is nearly black now!

I seem to recall reading that Rev. Peter Denny was able (somehow) to procure a pot of actual GCR green paint. If that is right, it would make 'his' green more accurate than most. Of course when he started the GC was only twenty-odd years into history and many people would have recalled the 'correct' shade, if there actually was one. Which, on all the evidence, I doubt. (The same goes for GC wagon grey, which some people like to imagine came as a Dulux colour!)

Looks good to me

As to the colour there are a huge range of variables - extent of fading, scale (the bigger an area the lighter the colour looks), lighting, reproduction accuracy (the photo Andy refers to is suspect as the Midland Compound also has a brown tinge), accuracy of paint mixing ratio, stability of the mixed paints....

Comparing apples and pears when it comes to the colours. We are looking at images and it doesnt matter whether they were shot on Kodachrome, Boots or digital, they only offer the mediums interpretation of colour dependant on exposure and colour of light. Best to look at the real loco and model before reviving the tired old chestnuts. :smoke:

The model and standard of paint finish is superb (apart from one slight squiggle) and gives everyone the opportunity to own something that previously would have cost them 500 smackeroos and more. Should I tell you what I would charge just for the painting in 4mm? £200.00+

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall reading that Rev. Peter Denny was able (somehow) to procure a pot of actual GCR green paint. If that is right, it would make 'his' green more accurate than most. Of course when he started the GC was only twenty-odd years into history and many people would have recalled the 'correct' shade, if there actually was one. Which, on all the evidence, I doubt. (The same goes for GC wagon grey, which some people like to imagine came as a Dulux colour!)

I don't recall seeing a reference to him getting hold of real GCR paint but it is a very interesting thought that he might have had some. There wasn't any sign of any when we cleared out the railway room and he wasn't much of one for chucking things out as there was all sorts of stuff that goes back to the 1940s. If he did have a sample of the real stuff he didn't copy it too closely as his colours vary greatly. I do know for a fact that he correponded with George Dow regarding liveries as I have held some of the letters (on LNER headed paper) in my sticky little mitts!

It would be interesting to hear what John Quick thinks of the livery. He has been researching GCR liveries for quite a while and probably knows more about the subject that just about anybody else around today.

My good friend Malcolm Crawley managed to get hold of some real LNER Apple Green paint, which is quite unlike any of the commercially available paints sold as such. I have it now and somehow it just looks "right" but that is veering OT a bit.

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice to see the Apple Green in comparsion with commercial efforts please.

The nearest I have seen is on the preserved B1 Mayflower a few years ago and on the B12 after its latest repaint. It is a lovely colour when just right. It had crossed my mind to ask the folk involved with the B12 whose paint they used as it looks spot on. Apple Green is a lovely colour when it is right but can look awful if it is just a little bit off.

Following on from the previous comments, any attempt I make to photograph the sample is likely to result in a change by the time at appears on the screen. I might try scanning a sample, then checking the scanned example against the real stuff. That way I can have a good chance of telling if it is the same colour or if it has changed.

• RMweb Premium

First check the photo against the real paint.

The sample I have had been painted onto a metal plate before it came to me. I wondered if scanning it might produce more accurate result than photographing but I have never tried to get accurate colours that way so I don't know if it will work.

The "frame fillet" is a good idea but it is not in line with the frames (and I wondered why the photos look different from one side to the other).

To my poor old eyes it looks better without it.

Bachmann, please bring on the "Claude"!

Thanks for the heads up, Andy.

Best, Pete.

Thanks for posting the additional images Andy. This really is a superb paint job and if anyone on here thinks they can do better, they should take up painting & lining for a living. Your country needs you... :declare:

Surely not better than your work ? :good:

I don't think anyone was doubting the quality but there was a good discussion on the colour green used.

This is just a bit of fun so don't go all indignant on me .

For the eagle eyed amongst you ?

Spot the paint chip.

I don't think Larry was indignant about anything Tony; just a pragmatic view of the quality/price balance of good RTR. I know Larry could do better but there again I'd have to sell a child. :)

I don't think Larry was indignant about anything Tony; just a pragmatic view of the quality/price balance of good RTR. I know Larry could do better but there again I'd have to sell a child. :)

I was asking that no one would get indignant not Larry in particular.

Having some of Larry's work is probably the reason I have no children left :dontknow:

Anyone out there got a child to spare ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And now I shall see if the order which I placed at the Ally Pally show has worked!! I know they took quite a few orders that weekend so it will be interesting to see if they start sending locos out from this week or if they will 'do a Swindon' and 'phone to check detail and payment etc before despatch.

• RMweb Gold

And now I shall see if the order which I placed at the Ally Pally show has worked!! I know they took quite a few orders that weekend so it will be interesting to see if they start sending locos out from this week or if they will 'do a Swindon' and 'phone to check detail and payment etc before despatch.

Mike,

If you have not heard from the NRM I'd suggest that you contact them about your order as soon as possible.

Like you I placed an order at Ally Pally at the Friends of the NRM stand at Ally Pally but back in June decided to contact the NRM to confirm that they had my order. Phoned both the NRM Shop at York and the NRM Website Operators but neither of them were able to confirm that they had my order - a return phone call was promised but no such call was received.

Got the impression that the people I was speaking to did not really understand what I was talking about so decided to place an order on the website. Yesterday I received an e:mail from the NRM saying that my website order had been processed and was being despatched. Have not heard a dicky bird about the order placed with the Friends......

Keith

Archived