BR green with double arrows?

z7o

Definitely some class 15s (also available in this form from Heljan) and some class 30/31s definitely received this livery variation. Most of the locomotives I have seen (in photos) came from Stratford depot on the Eastern Region.

If you look closely at photos from this time of change in the late 1960s, you will find that some green locos received numbers in the new style typeface intended for blue locomotives, while, conversely, some blue locomotives received the condensed style intended for the green livery. There were even a few cases where both styles appeared within the same number!

In all cases, the official line was that the double arrows and new typeface were to be used only on blue repaints but some depots (particularly Stratford!) must have run out of the old typeface and crest transfers, so simply used what was available.

In other cases, the depots may have had short supplies of the new transfers so used the old, so a few blue locomotives ran with the old style crest (usually with small yellow panels) and the old style typeface.

Edit: Sorry Chard - our posts crossed! :)

Oops, sorry if i posted this in the wrong area. Thanks for the replies, didnt realise blue loco's ran with crest, i think that would be rather interesting to model, anybody have any pictures?

Hehehe! Not wrong area at all, bro. Just one of the site's particular fetishes (yeah, okay, mine) revolves around transition era. There are scores of photos there as well as links. Brian Daniels' collection and 53A models of Hull, amongst others (from memory) have numerous captures of these locos. I'll post a link ahead of getting the topic moved over...

Hehehe! Not wrong area at all, bro. Just one of the site's particular fetishes (yeah, okay, mine) revolves around transition era. There are scores of photos there as well as links. Brian Daniels' collection and 53A models of Hull, amongst others (from memory) have numerous captures of these locos. I'll post a link ahead of getting the topic moved over...

Also have a look on my Flickr site, Brush Veteran www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/, there are one or two on there that may interest you, look at class 24's and class 27's in particular for some different variations.

http://www.flickr.co...s-48601959@N03/

class 76 here in blue with old crest and TOPS numbers

There was more than one 76 that ran in blue, but retaining the old crests, in the late 60s, early 70s. All except E26022/76 022 gradually had the double arrows applied instead. 76 022 was the only member of the class to survive all the way until the end of the woodhead route and withdrawl in 1981 keeping its old crest! Must be a record for latest main line loco to keep its original cest?

Sorry for the slight deviation from topic!

• 1 year later...

Archived